TNG Community

Marriage information lost in gedcom upload

julianb

I uploaded my gedcom file (built on Family Historian software) and while all the people and associated information was uploaded, the marriage information wasn't shown,  which means that I am having to go through all the familes rebuilding marriages and associating children to those marriages.  Bit of a drag with almsot 20,000 people in my gedcom (but of some value because the process identifies research errors and areas to return to).  This was with TNG 12.2

I've "started so I'll finish", but I'd like some pointers as to how to avoid this problem should I wish to upload a fresh gedcom, or start a different family tree (I'm working on a one-name study).

Advice welcome (please note I am no technical wizard)

JULIAN

Did the import of the GEDCOM file tell you it had completed?

Did you have any sources in the GEDCOM file?

Did the sources import?

Are families linked together with children properly?

The reason I ask is that the structure of a GEDCOM file is

People
Families/Marriages
Sources

So if the marriages didn't show up, the first thing I'd suspect is that the import didn't complete.

Roger

Thanks, Roger. It was a little while ago that I made the import, but I don't recall a message telling me that the import had not been successful.

The small number of Sources I had recorded were imported.

No families were linked together with their children - this was the point of my question (sorry if that was not clear).

What I have noticed is that what has been recorded by Family Historian as baptisms, hasn't imported to TNG as Christenings, but that's small beer!  I mention this as I have wondered if there is a read-across compatibility issue between Family Historian (a program specifically built for the UK market) and TNG which inevitably has an american (and mormon) focus

Did you run the Track Lines in the Import Secondary Process tab after doing the import?

I do not know Family Historian but if baptisms does not generate CHR GEDCOM tags on export, then you need to check the box before Accept data for all new Custom Event Types on the Import screen.

Thanks for the advice, Ken, about "Track Lines".  I was not aware of seeing that, but I must admit I was pretty daunted by it all when I started a year or so ago; it took me more than six months to pluck up the courage to return to carrying on site building work.

Baptisms imported as an "Other event".

I am mulling over setting up a second tree - the same source data but under another tree name to see if I can get it to work properly.  Am I mad, or is this feasible?

Michel KIRSCH
30 minutes ago, julianb said:

I am mulling over setting up a second tree - the same source data but under another tree name to see if I can get it to work properly.  Am I mad, or is this feasible?

No problem, you can do it. Don't forget to create the tree before importing.

Michel

10 hours ago, julianb said:

Thanks, Roger. It was a little while ago that I made the import, but I don't recall a message telling me that the import had not been successful.

You don't get a message telling you it was not successful - you only get a message when it is successful. (there are instances where it is successful but you don't get a message).

The small number of Sources I had recorded were imported.

So that means that TNG went through the families part of the GEDCOM file to get to the sources since they (should at least) come after the families.

No families were linked together with their children - this was the point of my question (sorry if that was not clear).

Yes, that was clear and the first thing I'm thinking is that TNG didn't process the families part of the GEDCOM file - all of the people are listed first as INDI in the GEDCOM file, and all would get imported as unique individuals, and then the families section of FAM tags puts the families together from those individuals.

As you note below, try another import into a separate tree and see what happens. If that works, you can then delete the first tree (with all of its people and families).

Roger

Thak you so much for all your advice. 

New tree created, gedcom uploaded by file transfer to site, imported into new tree,  track lines + children/spouses sorted + refresh living buttons pressed!  Fan chart for Frank Baker ancestors 8 generations working properly in other browser.

And the sun is shining outside! My world is now a happier place.

Before I delete the old messed-up version of the tree, I assume I'll have to reassign my media to people/families in the recently uploaded tree.  Anything else I will need to do before delete my sub-standard tree?

JULIAN

Michel KIRSCH

Julian,

when you delete a tree, you delete all individuals of THIS tree, all family links of THIS tree, all media LINKS for THIS tree,

but your media stay phisically on your disk AND registered in the TNG tables for further use.

So, you can delete the old treee before reassign your media to the new tree.

Michel