TNG Community
jhculbert

Search Issue

jhculbert

I recently created a duplicate TNG site by copying the backup data tables to a new location.

However, although the people.bak files were the same for both sites, in the new duplicate site I cannot find (using advanced search on the individual ID) many of the individuals that are in the database.  To summarize my dilemma, for my public site now, on the Admin Home page it shows 69,077 individuals in the database.  And, if I do an advance search for all people without entering any name information I get 69,077 results.  This is as should be expected.  However, for the duplicate site, on the Admin Home page it shows 68,891 individuals in the database.  But, if I do an advance search for all people without entering any name information I get only 34,999 results.  It appears that the individuals that cannot be found using TNG search are the living individuals, although the TNg statistics say that there are 34,292 of them, not 68,891-34,999=33,892 of them.

Do not be concerned about the numerical difference between 69,077, and 68,891, as more individuals have been added to the public site since I copied the people.bak data table.

Can anyone come up with a reason for why this would be, and how I can correct it so that all individuals can be accessed on my duplicate site? 

Michel KIRSCH

I have been using this system for a long time.
I make my backup on the online site, then I copy the .bak files to the local site and restore the tables on the local site.
This system also involves copying documents, photos, media from the online site to the local site.
There is no reason for the number of people to be different between the two sites.
Except one: are the versions of TNG the same on both sites?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

theKiwi

One possibility for a different number of people is if the Restore of the tables didn't complete for some reason - you could try running the Restore of the tng_people table again to see if it gives a different number, and pay attention to whether it reported it was restored successfully or not.

Roger

jhculbert

Thanks for your replies, Michael and Roger.

Alas, both sites operate with TNG v. 12.2.

And, I did a successful restore of the backup when the numbers of individuals didn't agree.  There was no change.

I have done this kind of duplicate site backup before, with excellent results.

I think something is now corrupt with the duplicate site installation that is affecting the search function or the data settings on living individuals.  However, I don't have a clue as to where to look for a solution.  Without this, I am inclined to try again with another attempt to copy all the data tables to a new site.

Jim

Michel KIRSCH

one question :

are you sure that the restore program will search your new .bak files at the right place?

Remember that the backup folder can be moved (Admin>setup>general settings\paths and folders).

If you have an old backup into your "normal" backup folder on line, and the new one are in another folder....🤨

Michel

jhculbert

Yes, absolutely.

These are two separate, independent sites with different URLs.

The duplicate is intended for temporary testing purposes, without affecting the public site.

Michel KIRSCH

It's what I do too.

How do you make the copy of the online site? FTP?

When copying the site, were the mods uninstalled?

jhculbert

Yes, I download the data tables to my desktop via FTP,  then rename them so they work in the new test location, then upload them to that location.

Each location has a numerical designation so the data tables must be prefaced by that number, e.g. 0004ae_people.bak

This is the way TNG works in the installation by the Guild of One-Name Studies Members' Websites Project.

There is only one shared TNG package being used, but over 230 different TNG sites in use.

I did not upload new data tables for Users or Template, in order to protect the current needs of the test site.

I deleted all Trees in the test location, then created one in the new location for the data being uploaded that conforms to the original site, which has just that one Tree.

I do not have authority to install any site-specific mods.  There are a few mods installed, such as the home page footer we use.

I cannot uninstall mods.

Michel KIRSCH

OK Jim.

No more questions... And no solution for you. Sorry.

Michel