TNG Community
Allen

Upload folder or individual images

Allen

New user.  When uploading media via Filezilla to "photos", should I upload the media folder or the individual images?  Does that make sense?  Allen.

Chestercountyman

I'm new to TNG as of v13 but have worked hard to get comfortable with the application, software and how-it-works. Take my advice with a grain of salt. Assuming you've already created a folder to hold the photos for the media collection I'd upload the individual photos by selecting them all and then uploading to the folder you want them in. That's how I do it. It works and it's fast enough.

Edited by Chestercountyman
Clarification

Rob Severijns

Allen,

I also use upload for all my photo's and all other media (exept for large video's).

It also creates a thumbnail for you if you upload.

Just select the images you wish to upload and select the tree and folder.

Bare in mind that if a photo already exists in the directory it will be placed there again resulting in having the file twice.

I also noticed that for me uploading large batches will sometimes lead to failed uploads so I use small batches.

Also see  Media - Upload - TNG_Wiki (lythgoes.net) for more info.

Good luck and stay safe,

Rob

Allen

Rob, thanks for the reply.  That's my issue.  Before I upload any photos, it shows to be there, and shows the correct "linked to", but you cannot see an image.  Then if I upload media, I have duplicates of all, but the one that you can actually open and view has no links.  Advice?  Allen.

Capture.JPG

Rob Severijns

Hi Allen,

Good to see you got it solved.

Would you mind telling what did the trick so others can benifit from your solution too?

Thanks in advance and stay safe,

Rob

Allen

Rob, let me work backwards and tell you what I did wrong first.  Since this is all pretty new to me, I did as you warned against and uploaded all the media files from the upload media tab, not realizing they were actually already there.  So, as a result, I ended up with what is shown in the screenshot above.  Soooo, I just took the easy way out.  Recreated all the tables, made sure the individual photos were in the "photos" folder using Filezilla, re-imported the gedcom, and what do you know?!!  It works!  I still don't know if it matters if you upload the whole folder or the individual photos, but I uploaded the individual photos.  Of course, when you recreate the tables, you have to re-enter a lot of information, but it made for a nice clean install.  And my website is relatively new so I hadn't spent a lot of time on "setup".  I'm sure I could have resolved this without resorting to that, but that's the course I took.  I hope this makes sense.  I sometimes use the wrong words for things involving computers and websites!  Ha!

https://www.wilson-mcelmurry.com

Rob Severijns

Thx Allen,

It completely makes sense :-)

Recreating the tables isn't a necessary step but like you said it gave you a clean start.

Deleting the files in the folder with filezilla would have done the trick too.

When uploading media you can't select a folder but you can select all filles within a folder using Ctrl A.

Now you have the possibillity to either upload all selected media at once or one at a time.

Rob

javo

I am not sure if this can be part of this string but I had a similar problem.  I had to rebuild my site and is paranoid of trying to do some things wrong like recreating tables.  Maybe you can help.

I uploaded several photos to the headstone folder. When I choose to display the headstones media files they do not show.  These headstone photos are not linked to individuals as I have lost that during service provider as well as upgrading changes.

I am hoping re creating the tables will sort this but how do you re create the tables?  I am using version 13 and template 19.

Many thanks.

Rob Severijns

Javo,

There can be several reasons for the headstones not showing.

The fact that they are not linked to an individual is not the reason for not showing.

When you view all media are headstones visible? If so they might be in the wrong collection.

A screenshot would be helpfull too.

If you post the link to your website I could take a better look at what the solution might be.

Kind regards,

Rob

Allen

Just FYI, I think one of my biggest hurdles in this whole process is not understanding some of the terminology.  When you export a gedcom from FTM, you need to select to include "media files", even though it is only the links.  And when you import the gedcom to TNG, you need to select "import media if present", even though it should already be uploaded to the "photos" folder within TNG.  Once I understood this, the process went as expected, complete with all media links.

https://www.wilson-mcelmurry.com 

Philip Roy

Totally agree. It’s the same with Reunion on a Mac. I think they could all do with two words added...references to (or maybe even links to)...

Include references/links to media files

Import references/links to media if  present

Phil

tngrlkrz
8 hours ago, Philip Roy said:

Totally agree.

Ditto.  Especially confusing for newbies to genealogy software.

Rob Severijns

Phil, Roy,

Has any of you pushed this to Darrin?

Rob

Philip Roy

I haven’t but I will. I might email the makers of Reunion also!

Phil

Rob Severijns

Phil,

Roger.

Rob

Ken Roy

It is documented in the Help screen on the Import page

Import media if present

If your GEDCOM contains links to media, selecting this option will allow TNG to import them and set up the appropriate links. You must still copy the physical files associated with these links to the appropriate folders on your site via other means (e.g., FTP). If you do not want to import any media links, make sure this box is not checked prior to performing the import.

the wording on the Import page should probably be changed to

Import media links if present

and then of course in all the appropriate language files.

Philip Roy

Contacted Darrin and he likes the use of "links" in the setting expression, so will do this in a future version (always love it when a developer is so responsive!).

I was at work when I made my other posts and on getting home I see Reunion for the Mac already makes it clear you are simply including (in their case "multi")media links and not the actual media....

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 6.15.44 PM.png

Rob Severijns

Thx Phil,

It is so great to see how quickly Darrin responds when contacted.

It has always been like this and I really appreciate it.

Rob