TNG Community
Michael Brasfield

GED import progress - lack there of.

Michael Brasfield

I installed 12.3 about 7 months ago and imported my gedcom file without a problem.  my website is https://brasfield.net - I have been attempting to update/replace the gedcom for the last few days and the progress image just keeps spinning with the phrase "opening Brasfield.ged", but it never completes the process.  I realize the gedcom is large (64.67 with 53K names), but I have let it run for over 18 hours without success.  Any ideas?

Ken Roy

Did your hosting service upgrade to a new version of PHP?  Are they using FPM with OPcache as the PHP Handler?

I ask the last question because I discovered while beta testing TNG 13 that PHP 7 using FPM with OPcache as the PHP Handler on ICDSoft does not display a progress bar nor the old style counts.  It simply dumps the progress bar when everything is complete.  ICDSoft does allow me to select CGI as the PHP Handler which does display the progress bar and the secondary process counts.

You may need to ask your host if they do not provide a PHP Settings capability in their cPanel

Michael Brasfield

As a test of the settings, I uploaded a very small ged file of 55 individuals (141 kb) and the program worked exactly as designed.  The connecting/loading/progress graphic worked perfectly.  When I then try to load the larger file (same data location, parameters, paths, etc.) , it continues to show "opening" with the spinning wheel.  There must be some setting in the program to toggle and/or adjust to allow indication that import has connected and the progress bar begins to show progress.

Ken Roy

Michael,

Are you FTPing the .ged file to your host and then importing locally, or are you trying to upload from your desktop.  There is a PHP size limit on what you can upload.

Michael Brasfield

I utilized FTP just like I did with the smaller test file, and imported locally.

fluffy82

I haven't had this in a while, but it used to happen to me every time. I used two methods:

1. just let it run for an hour or so, and abort if it hangs; 9 times out of 10 it did actually finish but just doesn't show it. Click cancel/pause, wait 2 minutes, click restart. It will then almost immediately jump to the green bar.
  2. empty the persons table in phpMyAdmin before importing your new gedcom; my experience is that adding 50.000 persons to an empty database is faster than replacing them.

Michael Brasfield

Thanks.  Regardless of the lack of any apparent progress, it does seem to be slowly populating the web site.  Even if the program doesn’t show it. I did delete the previous file first, but will check the phpMyAdmin persons table.

fluffy82

Just make sure you only empty (truncate) it, and not delete the table. That would be a problem.

The previous gedcom file has no influence. It's just sitting there.

Michael Brasfield

Thank you.