TNG Community

Gedcom update

Allen

Newbie here. TNG version 13.0.1.  Windows 10.  I have a webpage up and running, but have a couple of beginner questions.  I use Family Tree Maker 2019 to do most of my work.  I make changes nearly everyday.  What are the best practices for updating my TNG webpage?  If I upload a new gedcom, does it add only the new information?  Is it easier to make the same changes on the TNG website itself?  I'm also thinking about resizing most of media images to make them smaller.  Most are more than 1mb.  If I do so, and upload the new media file, with the same file names, will it simply replace the existing images?  Thanks in advance for the replies, and I'm sure I'll have more questions.   

https://wilson-mcelmurry.com/index.php

I keep my sites updated by GEDCOM export and import.

I almost always export a full GEDCOM file from my genealogy software, and import that into TNG with the Replace All option chosen. This just replaces everything on the site.

Very very occasionally I will export a GEDCOM file with just one or two people in it and import that to TNG using the Replace Matching. This in effect just updates those few people if they're already in TNG and adds any new people (say another child of a couple) if they're not.

Now if your information is also synched to Ancestry.com, I'm not sure if it's quite so simple as that because Ancestry has a horrible practice of changing people's ID numbers I think - someone who regularly uses Ancestry and Family Tree Maker together will need to clarify that.

Roge

Thanks again Roger.  I'll see what I can find out about that.  Right now I have one FTM tree that I sync with Ancestry.   But the one I uploaded to TNG, I do not sync.  Thanks for the clarification.  Can you advise me about the media?  Allen.

If the media retain the same name after resizing them, then they will seamlessly replace the media current on your TNG website.

If the names change, then they won't without relinking all of them.

Roger