TNG Community

OpenStreetMap

Leif Sweden

Hi Leif

Yes, unless things have changed significantly, there are two icons in the top right hand corner of the map which toggle between map view and satellite view.

Sent you a PM example.

Alan

Hi Leif and all,

This works for me in 13.0.1:

In Mod Manager:

ModMhgr.gif

The Event map on getperson.php

EventSat.gif

Not the same for you?

EDIT! I forgot: Swirching views doesn't work in this case!!!

Erik

Explanation to why switching views is not possible when the SAT map is default:

Any map selected as default is governed by the left icon (map). The right icon (satellite) is always only the satellite view.

So if you select the SAT map as default, it's connected to the left icon. And the right icon also shows the satellite view.

HOWEVER: There is a hack I found that can do what you want. I use it at my "Local community research" site (rightmost in my signature).

I will try to get it into the OSM mod - it's of course how it should work - but I had help doing it so I'll contact the same person,

Best regards,

Erik

Thank you Erik,

I did as you showed above but there were no change, I still see the normal map.

I wait for the resonce from your friend because I think a satellite map is more living to view.

Best regards
Leif

6 minutes ago, Leif Sweden said:

Thank you Erik,

I did as you showed above and when I updated the right section it works fine.

Best regards
Leif

2 minutes ago, Leif Sweden said:

I did as you showed above and when I updated the right section it works fine.

You got me worried there for a while Leif ;-)

I can't promise when the change in the mod will happen, though.

/Erik

OSM w/ SAT default - TESTERS WANTED!

Hi all. I have made a version of OSM where you can select the SATellite view as default and any of the others to use as a "switch map".
I have tested it as far as my environment goes: getperson, placesearch, showmap, headstones, admin_editplace, admin_editcemetery. Are there more? If so; Can you help?

If you're interested you can PM me your mail and I'll mail you the mod in a few hours.

(Note that Heatmaps can't switch maps. (Haven't solved that yet) Heatmaps keep the SAT view)

Best regards,

Erik

Hi Erik,

I am late to the game on this one. Notwithstanding the switching topic, earlier in this thread, there is note that I can set to default 'sat' and that should show by default?  That didn't seem to work for me, the topographical always appears in getperson.php by default, even though map settings are set.   I cleared cache and all that.  Or is that part of what is being fixed along with switching?

Yes Ron, It wasn't working the way one would expect. This version (only available from me via mail, for now) seems to:

You select a map as usual (not "SAT") and then have the option to select "SAT" as the default display. And you can switch to the other, selected, map.

/Erik

Correction of my penultimate post:

The mod has been checked on these pages:

I have tested it as far as my environment goes: getperson, placesearch, showmap, headstones, admin_editplace, admin_editcemetery, admin_newcemetery, admin_newplace

/Erik

2 hours ago, XerxX said:

Hej Leif, and all,

Yes! Now you can, in the new v13.0.0.7a. And this is how:

osmmmsat.gif

Get it here: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=OpenStreetMap

Enjoy!

Erik

Thanks Eric,

I will try to install i later. I read following at TNG:
The downside is that OSM maps are in many cases not as detailed as Googlemaps, especially outside the more urban areas.

Is it possible to have both OSM and Googlemaps installed at the same time and be able to switch between them?

I have an old Googlemaps API from May 2020, is it possible to use it now?

Leif

Leif, and all,

19 minutes ago, Leif Sweden said:

I read following at TNG:
The downside is that OSM maps are in many cases not as detailed as Googlemaps, especially outside the more urban areas. 

You didn't read the next line?

I have added two maps that are more detailed re "rural roads" called ESRI World Street Map and ESRI World Topo Map. (See the Edit Options below)

You can go here: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=OpenStreetMap_Choices

Read "Try a map". I use EWSM that I think is better than OSM (and nicer looking). That's what I show on that page - not far from where I live so I know what it looks like. And I link to Lantmäteriet's map (official Swedish maps) for the same place.

Users can't toggle OSM / Google because it's a setting in the Map Key. Replace "OSM" with your Google key and Google maps are displayed. If you let the Google key be and start with "OSM" (like "OSM123456789") OSM is displayed (if installed ;-) )

Med vänlig hälsning / Kind regards

Erik

Eric,

It seems that my GoogleMaps API is not correct, when I tried I got a text all over the map (see below).

I have downloaded the mod 13.0.0.7a, somewhere I saw a how to install but now I do not find it. Can you tell me where (not good in this)?
Another question; above you say text EWSM for Map Source with CAPS but the SATTellite with small letters.Why different?

Leif

SharedScreenshot GoogleMaps.jpg

Leif,

55 minutes ago, Leif Sweden said:

somewhere I saw a how to install but now I do not find it. Can you tell me where (not good in this)?

It's at the download page, from "Requirements" and on:  https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=OpenStreetMap#Requirements

56 minutes ago, Leif Sweden said:

Another question; above you say text EWSM for Map Source with CAPS but the SATTellite with small letters.Why different?

Where did I write SAT with small letters? Actually; it doesn't matter as if you want the satellite view as default, you don't have to enter it anywhere: Just enter "true" in the second box.

HTH

Erik

3 minutes ago, XerxX said:

Leif,

It's at the download page, from "Requirements" and on:  https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=OpenStreetMap#Requirements

Where did I write SAT with small letters? Actually; it doesn't matter as if you want the satellite view as default, you don't have to enter it anywhere: Just enter "true" in the second box.

HTH

Erik

Sorry, I ment "true" if you want SATTellite view. There it is small letters.

Leif

44 minutes ago, Leif Sweden said:

Eric,
Can I get your email address, I got problems when installing the Mod. I am really bad and have proberbly made some mistakes.

Leif

Leif,  You can use the PM or private messaging of the wiki too.  Click on or Hover over Erik's circular image 'X', and click on 'message' and your conversation will be private outside this thread.