TNG Community

Add Person Siblings Row mod

Leo te Braake

Leo te Braake

I like that this mod enables the main person's siblings to be shown on the getperson page.

I often have families with many children with rather incomplete data, and the place of the main person in the row of siblings is not always obvious, especially if there are children with equal names  as deceased  ones. Therfore I include the main person in the list, but that does not seem right.

I propose that the mod includes the main person in the row of siblings, but after that replaces the name etc. by a graphical element (e.g. a frame with text: "main person belongs here")

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ken Roy

• Robin Richmond

• tngrlkrz

• fluffy82

Robin Richmond
On 11/3/2020 at 4:17 PM, Leo te Braake said:

I like that this mod enables the main person's siblings to be shown on the getperson page.

I often have families with many children with rather incomplete data, and the place of the main person in the row of siblings is not always obvious, especially if there are children with equal names  as deceased  ones. Therfore I include the main person in the list, but that does not seem right.

I propose that the mod includes the main person in the row of siblings, but after that replaces the name etc. by a graphical element (e.g. a frame with text: "main person belongs here")

Wow. I can't believe that your posting has sat for so long without an answer, and I wonder why it suddenly popped up near the top of the list of postings in this forum.

In any case, could you describe how you'd like to see it highlighted or take a screenshot of the Person Profile and try to mock up something to represent what you wany,

My large and complex Regroup Person Profile mod has an option to add siblings to the Person Profile. They can be placed in the personal data block, in which case the profiled person is omitted because that person is not a sibling.  Or they can be placed in the parents block, in which case they are labeled as "Children", and profiled person is present but not hyperlinked.  That's pretty subtle, but it's something.  Of course, Regroup Person Profile implements a zillion or so other changes that you may not want.

You can see the list of siblings  http://www.robinrichmond.com/family13/getperson.php?personID=I21973&tree=rr

The list of siblings presented as children of the profiled person's parents  looks like this, where child #7 is the profiled person. You probably want the profiled person to be more visible rather than subdued as shown here.

image.png

If I understand the OP's request, this is what I do to highlight the main person in the siblings list.  Only the name is included, since the most of the other data BMD, etc, is elsewhere on the same page already.  This is not a mod,  I just present it as one approach.

image.png

I should add that the above represents a modified version of  the Add_Person_Siblings_Row mod.

Robin Richmond

This is cool, Ron. The screenshot appears to be exactly what your web site produces - nothing mocked up except for the arrow, or course, but, boy, that would be a distinct highlight of the profiled person. :-)

The things I see here that do not appear to be part of the published versions of those two mods (with certain options) are the gender icons, the counting of spouses in the heading, and the word "Spouses" in the label at the left and the heading at the top.

Are all of those (anything else?) in your enhancements to  the two mods?

- Robin

(I first posted this saying that I'll start another thread about the overlap between the Show_All_Family and  Add_Person_Siblings_Row mod options, but now I see that one mod's options affect the profiled person's children, and the other mod's options affect the profile person's siblings. So no need for another thread.)

Edited by Robin Richmond
Realized I didn't need to ask a question in another thread

7 hours ago, Robin Richmond said:

Are all of those (anything else?) in your enhancements to  the two mods?

Updated: Only one mod is involved.  I erroneously forgot that the spouses are added by the Add Person Siblings mod.  Other changes, such as gender changes and labels are private changes to that mod.

52 minutes ago, Robin Richmond said:

(I first posted this saying that I'll start another thread about the overlap between the Show_All_Family and  Add_Person_Siblings_Row mod options, but now I see that one mod's options affect the profiled person's children, and the other mod's options affect the profile person's siblings. So no need for another thread.)

Robin,

There should be no overlap between both the Show All Family and Add Person Siblings Row mods.  They are complementary mods.

It should be noted that Ron typically modifies mods for his own use rather than install the mods ss published.  Both mods are in use as published on my site and I support the Add Person Siblings Row mod after I modified it to accommodate Michel Kirsch's Sosa mod if installed

What enhancements are you talking about.

Edited-  It sure has become very difficult to support mods when users create their own modifications to the mod and then provide them to others without asking the mod developer for an option to provide their change

46 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Edited-  It sure has become very difficult to support mods when users create their own modifications to the mod and then provide them to others without asking the mod developer for an option to provide their change

Ken,

Yes I have made changes, but No I have not provided code for my example on the forum.  I was merely indicating a suggested approach, which might be helpful to the OP, and hopefully, to the mod authors, e.g, an Edit Option to hightlight the 'main' or profiled person.  I don't believe I have ever asked for support of mods which aren't working due to my modifications.  Isn't it OK for to present ideas on this forum where mod authors, as well as all forum users, can review them?

Robin Richmond
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

What enhancements are you talking about.

The ones I listed in that post:

1 hour ago, Robin Richmond said:

The things I see here that do not appear to be part of the published versions of those two mods (with certain options) are the gender icons, the counting of spouses in the heading, and the word "Spouses" in the label at the left and the heading at the top.

I particularly wondered if the gender icons are from another mod.

Also, regarding

1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

There should be no overlap between both the Show All Family and Add Person Siblings Row mods.  They are complementary mods. 

True. As I noted, they do both have many of the same options, but I realize they are applied in different places (i.e. siblings vs children).

Finally, I appreciate what both Ken and Ron said about mod customizations. I agree that it can be awkward to support mods when someone has distributed customizations without at least changing the mod and .cfg file names and notifying the author.  But it has been a long time since I've encounter that situation. (I'm sure that the complexity of several of my mods keeps other authors from successfully modifying them.)   And I'm sure that Ron is innocent of that venial sin. :-) I hope that I am, too, at least lately. Still, Ken, since you have taken on support of so, so many mods written by other authors, I don't doubt that you've encounter that situation numerous times.

-  Robin

p.s. Ken - I don't mean to suggest that some of your mods are so-so :-), just that you've taken on an awful lot of work that I wish could be partially distributed to others. (Who, me? Sure. I already have too many mods, but so do you.)

Robin,

I took over Jeff's Add Person Siblings Row mod with Jeff's blessing when Michel Kirsch was developing his Sosa mod and Scott DuPree was developing his Show All Family mod since both developers were creating Mod Manager cfg files to change Jeff's mod and in some cases left the original mods as partially installed.  I also wanted to use both Michel's and Scott's mod, and so also added Jeff's new modified mod to my site.   (End of history lesson on why I am now supporting the Add Person Siblings Row mod)

I asked Ron to send me his cfg file for his modifications to Jeff's Add Person Siblings Row mod.   I am not sure that I would suppressed the vital statistics for the current person in the Siblings section.  We may need a better way to highlight that this is the person on the current page.

2 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

We may need a better way to highlight that this is the person on the current page.

I do not use the two Mods in this discussion, but they actually appeal to me, now that I have seen them in action so to speak. I'm sorry Ken, I would have to modify the Mods to suit the Mods I have created, or rework my Mods and as many now do, create an install uninstall list to ensure all Mods play nice together.. And I would hope that I would NOT be guilty of distributing modified Mods nor ask for support of a Mod I modified (well ask knowing I may not get a response or get a response but not what I wanted) as that is totally unfair to the Mod Dev. I may have to wait to see where Robin goes with his Mod and then make a choice which suits me better.

So my two cents worth (actually 5 cents worth (we don't have one or two cent pieces anymore)).

Does the highlighting of the 'Current person' need to be complicated?? Why not just highlight it with a different background colour?? Maybe the option to use a background colour or an arrow, suitably coloured for each template?? 

17 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I should add that the above represents modified versions of  the Show_All_Family and  Add_Person_Siblings_Row mods.

I need to correct myself.  The only modified mod  involved in the profiled person highlight  is the Add Person Siblings mod.  Other changes (gender, left label, heading) were private changes. Also BMD locations are missing because they are a button toggle to show/hide on my site, and the example has them hidden.

Sorry.  

Ron

Leo te Braake
21 hours ago, Robin Richmond said:

In any case, could you describe how you'd like to see it highlighted or take a screenshot of the Person Profile and try to mock up something to represent what you wany, 

Hello Robin,

I see that I'm a bit late to the party.... I have read most comments, and I think the best way would be to distinguish only by the colour: either a different background colour, or even the whole line in reverse video. That way (reverse) the colours are always appropriate for the colours of the template used.

I am not a coder, but I imagine, that this is the simplest way to have the main person stand out between his/her siblings.

Leo

Leo,

First of all this is not Robin's mod, so hopefully he does not start modifying it,  nor incorporating parts of it his Regroup Person Profile mods.  The mods  which are handled by this mod if they are installed and there are no mod install dependencies are documented in the TNG wiki page for the mod

Secondly, I do not have the time to mock how I would do the highlighting, but your idea of changing the background color is a good one.

Probably will not look at it until after the holidays, since I am busy working on testing the MedaiWiki 1.35 upgrade for the TNG Wiki and then may have to react to TNG 13.0.2 if it breaks some of my mods.

Robin Richmond

Ken is absolutely correct about  Add_Person_Siblings_Row.  But, as I noted in an earlier post in this thread, my Regroup Person Profile mod also implements two optional versions of a siblings list - one version omits the profiled person altogether, and the other already displays the profiled person differently. Of course, right now, I make the profiled person more subdued, not highlighted.  Still, it should be easy for me to implement the kind of highlighting that has been suggested here, and since I'm already been asked to make a couple of other changes to Regroup Person Profile, I do expect to make such a change.

That brings up a question for you, Leo and perhaps for the group.  When I display the true siblings list, I omit the profiled person, who is not, after all, his or her own sibling. :-) But, for your purposes, would you prefer that the the profiled person be

• Omitted from the siblings list, or
  • Displayed and highlighted?

If it is the latter, I would implement that choice as a mod option.

- Robin

p.s. I do realize that the siblings lists implemented by Regroup Person Profile and Add Person Siblings Row are substantially redundant.  But they do have notable differences in functionality and appearance, and in the way that they do or don't coordinate with the functionality and appearance of the list of the profiled person's children.  Some site admins may prefer one implementation; some another.  Of course, I also realize that some site admins who prefer my sibling solution would not be interested in the other Regroup Person Profile features, so I hope that I will someday be able to pull my sibling feature out of Regroup Person Profile and implement it through a separate mod.  But I really don't know if I'll ever be able to pull that off.

Well here is another thought in regards to displaying the 'Profiled Person'.

Rather than displaying him/her in the sibling list, why not add the detail of parentage and child number to the 'personal details' table.. I wil TRY and do a mock up, but me and that sort of thing huh!!

but like

Name: SpongeBob SquarePants - the 2nd son/daughter of Mr BobSponge & Mrs BobbetteSponge his 3rd wife (if indeed BobSponge had married previously).

Then in the actual siblings list, instead of displaying the 'Profiled person' it might look like

1 BetteBob SquarePants ....

3 BobBob SquarePants ....

Minimal duplication of info no wasted screen space but maybe some serious coding..

Just a thought..

Leo te Braake

Robin, Rick, Ken.

To me it is just logical to give the whole row of siblings, including the subject person.

Of course he is not his own sibling, but there is no obligation to call te section "John's Siblings".
We do not get in any trouble if we give it the heading "John among his / her siblings.

Give him an outstanding typography, and all our problems are solved.

Leo

Michel KIRSCH
45 minutes ago, Leo te Braake said:

Give him an outstanding typography, and all our problems are solved

I agree. Michel

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally posted the Add Person Siblings Row mod V12.3.0.6 updated by Ron Krzmarzick and I that adds the following Edit Options:

*  to highlight the current person in the list of siblings if the option is set to include the current person

1 = highlights the whole row (default)

2 = highlight the current person name only

3 = highlight the current person name with a $sibnote text string

* to add a gender icon for each person in the siblings list if you set the option to true

defaults to not use the gender icon when option is false

Thanks to Leo te Braake, Mogens Fenger, Jan-Thore Solem, Katryne Chauvigné-Bourlaud, Michel Kirsch, and Tobias Kemper for their translations and feedback

Robin,

Did you force reload the page?  The mod includes a new entry being added to genstyle.css so it might not get picked up until you clear your browser cache.

Robin,  as Ken suggests, the browser needs to be refreshed.  I can reproduce your experience if I don't do that.  I tried Template 5, all options, without issue when I did that.

As to your other comment 

1 hour ago, Robin Richmond said:

When the profiled person is displayed as one of the siblings, it's a little awkward for the top line to say "3 siblings", and then have 4 numbered siblings in the list.

This was recognized, and there are advantages and disadvantages of doing this,  but I chose privately to skip the numbering for the 'current person' so that the numbered siblings matches the titled total. And then I highlighted only the 'current person' text since without the number, the name already stands out.

image.png

The disadvantage is the child no longer has the numbered position in the family. Without private changes:

image.png

The other alternative is to remove the total number from the title. Yes...it gets nit picky.

Robin Richmond

Oops - I'm sorry for the misdirection that sent you down that testing path, Ron.  And I sure like your solution to the numbering consideration.

- Robin

Not sure if there's an easy solution for this, but here we go...

I used to have two mods: Add Parents Children Row and Add Person Siblings Row Spouses. This worked like a charm, but if I'm not mistaken, they were not updated for v13 (there seemed to be no need anyway). I like the highlighting etc of this mod, and the fact that it includes the sibling spouses as an option so it actually replaces both the old ones.

Having installed it successfully, there is one issue... The siblings do not appear with the parents, but with the "other events" at the bottom of the page. Apart from that, everything works fine.

Is there a way to get them to display with the parents, as it used to be? It's probably due to the Regroup Person Profile mod, which alters the order of things on the getperson.php...

Robin Richmond

This message doesn't report any problems with Add Person Siblings Row; it just reports some interactions with mods beyond those that Ken mentioned in the Add Person Siblings Row Wiki article.  I'll be happy to add this to the Wiki article if you want, Ken, though I suspect that you would note want nearly all of this detail. :-)

First, the Add Person Siblings Row options to add Sosa indicators, spouses, etc. affect only the siblings that are added by this mod, not the Person Profile's children. But best I can tell, Scott Dupree's Show All Family mods has the same options and adds the same features to the children. (Ken established compatibility with Show All Family over a year ago, but, again best I can tell, Show All Family has added options since then, and Add Person Siblings Row now supports those new options.)

BTW, I think that these feature are so desirable that we should ask Darrin to implement them (also controlled by options), at which point, the duplication of options between the two mods would go away.  If you (Ken and/or Scott) would like for me to facilitate that possibility by defining these options as form fields, I'd be happy to do so.  I have converted so many %parameters to custom system variables that I should be able to convert these without much effort - especially since most of them could be implemented as simple checkboxes.

To Fluffy82's point - Add Parents Children Row has not been updated with all of these new features, and I don't know whether that will ever happy. It's not because of Regroup Person Profile, but, it does set up the dilemma that, at this point neither Regroup Person Profile nor Add Parents Children Row do not implement these new features in the parents' data blocks.  I'm thinking about updating Regroup Person Profile to implement these new features, but that may be too redundant.  I will talk with Ken about attacking Add Parents Children Row myself.

My Regroup Person mods:

1. Add Person Siblings row appears to work just fine with Regroup Person Profile. However, Regroup Person Profile is not compatible with all of the other mods mentioned in the Add Person Siblings Row wiki article.  I'll look into that. I know why I duplicated some of those mods' features, but still, I might be able to pull some of those features out of he mod
  2. Add Person Siblings Row appears to work with Regroup Person-Date Place except that (until I fix it), the siblings list overflows its table cell.
  3. I was amazed and pleased to discover that the Regroup Person-Date Place option to display the parents' and children's birth and death data on separate lines affects both the siblings and spouses generated by Add Person Siblings Row.
  4. BTW, a mod whose name I do not remember focuses specifically on creating the multiple-line display of parents' and children's birth and death data. I don't know whether it also affects the siblings and spouses generated by Add Person Siblings Row,. If someone tells me that mod's name, I'll test it.
  5. Add Person Siblings Row is not compatible with Regroup Person-Family Indicators, but that's fine, because both Add Person Siblings Row and Regroup Person Profile are compatible with Family Indicators Mod. (I created Regroup Person-Family Indicators to implement the family indicators for the siblings that Regroup Person Profile adds and that's not relevant for sites that use Add Person Siblings Row.)
  6. As far as I can tell, all other Regroup Person mods work with Add Person Siblings Row.

- Robin