TNG Community

Rating answers to questions

Robin Richmond

Robin Richmond

Forums like this usually have a way for users to rate answers to questions, though there doesn't seem to be an explicit concept of "answer" in this forum, so I suppose that I'm just asking about the ability to upvote posts.  I see the "reputation" rating in user profiles, and that's usually tied to user ratings of user posts, but I don't see a way to actually rate or upvote a post.  Is it there?  Is it suppressed?

My first thought on this is that the users here in general are not organised enough for this to work successfully - topics rarely consist of a question and then a succession of ever improving answers - topics wander away from the topic, and a few months or years later someone comes along and says "me too".

I'm thinking of StackExchange, where things are much more rigidly policed in terms of what is relevant to any topic and what isn't. and people get scolded if their answer is too short or it repeats another answer, and once a satisfactory answer is achieved the topic is closed. There must be significant moderator person power behind the scenes there.

Interestingly this particular Q & A Forum is capable of having votes on it, so presumably at least the platform is capable of this, and it's not turned on everywhere.

Roger

I was just thinking about this earlier today as I updated my profile--and checked a couple of little used boards.  In the past, I have owned and/or administered fora with memberships ranging from ~1000 to over 450K registered members.  A number of platforms (vB, XF, IB, SMF, etcetera) offer this reputation and rating functionality--albeit in different ways.  Roger is correct in his assessment of where this sort of thing works best--Quora, SE, and other Q&A structured list type boards.

My entire experience with the ability of members to "rate" each other has never been positive.  A simple difference of opinion results in a thumbs down, and then some members are "point counters" that get really disturbed when their ratings change negatively and then make life a pain for moderators and admins.  The best thing for a place like this IMHO is to turn all of that stuff off and remove any inferences to it from appearing in a member's avatar block.

Just looking to the left of the responses here there appears to be a 'vote up/votedown' 'toggle'

vote.jpg

Did one of the Admin Team just turn it on, or is it me just too focused on other stuff?? ROFLMAO

Oh reread Rogers response, Not turned on everywhere maybe why now you see it now you don't.. <smile>.

And maybe Robin,

This might be a way of voting up or down a particular Mod or enhancement should your idea for the "New Idea & Suggestions' Forum come into being.. It would probably have to be seriously policed and no shite allowed.. If an idea is liked it is voted up or not.. Perhaps the suggestion is made and a small discussion allowed, then further discussion is turned off and voting begins?? That way the concept is yayed or nayed, from there it could move to another section of the forum for further discussion re improvements or implementation. It could also be used to vote on possible Group funding to help support the efforts put in to those creating such 'Mod'. And also maybe should it go straight into TNG or be made a Mod??

Food for thought maybe!!

On a forum I used to run, I changed all the terms like "Advanced Member" to something that reflected the amount of posts that the person had made...as that was really what was being calculated.....so "Newbie" for the first few posts, leading up to (it was a while ago) something like "Forum Guru"...as to me, advanced suggested something else.

Whilst the idea of promoting a person seems nice, I love the type of boards that let you indicate that the solution mentioned worked for you....not really an upvote, but "Best answer" or even (as I know there has been a discussion about wanting people not to edit subjects to "Solved").....a way to actually indicate that a specific post solved your issue.

Phil

UPDATE...87 posts and I'm an Advanced Member? When mostly I get answers more than I give...that's why I think the terminology needs to change.

Edited by Philip Roy
Final comment re my title.

I think the same Phil

Its good to acknowledge a persons efforts and it should be done as it inspires them to do more. But the emphasis should be on the responses given and value they add. So agree with the terminology change.

And the 'this post solved my query' solution too.

Didn't notice I had gone from 'Newbie' to 'Advanced'.. Feck and I am still very much a 'Newbie' 😄