TNG Community
christineH

Newbie question

christineH

Hi everyone, and please excuse a true rookie question

I have been using TNG for about 72 hours.  I have imported my gedcom and have my media in "photos".  The import has worked because I can see that the photos have been linked to the people because they are listed at the bottom.  But for the life of me I can't work out how to get the profile pics to show for the people who have them (there are several hundred).  I also haven't worked out the instructions on the thumbnails and perhaps the two problems are related.

Can someone please tell me how to do it very simply, or point me to where the instructions are on the wiki?

Thank you 😉
Chris

manofmull

Chris

Please see this very recent post.

RickM

Just so you  know @christineH,

I don't excuse rookie questions.. Personally I welcome them. I willing to bet almost everyone on this forum has asked rookie questions.. I know I still do sometimes (I think I am still a rookie after a couple of yrs ONLY using TNG). There is so much to learn and so many differing ways to set some things up, it takes quite some time to figure them ask.

Feel free to continue asking the questions, where I can I will help, where I cannot I know other could and will..

Edited by RickM
Grammatical Correction

christineH

Thank @manofmull and @RickM

I have added my local file path to the import settings, so I think I have that right, but what I think I am asking is How do I get a picture of my grandmother to show here?

:-)

Chris

Capture.JPG

RickM

If you have the picture already in TNG go to the Admin > Media page and click on edit the picture you are going to use..

Scroll to find the Media Links Section and if you have not yet linked the picture to your Grandmothers profile, do so here, then click the Default Photo Box then Save and Exit. Go check the profile.. Should have the pic there. You MAY NEED TO CLEAR BROWSER CACHE to make sure you reload the page and see the pic.. Attached is a snip of where I am talking about..

default.jpg

christineH

You little ripper!!  That's done it. This is my Nan!

Is there a global setting that tells TNG to create the thumbnail from the original?

Cheers

Chris

Capture.JPG

RickM

Good to know I can point someone in the right direction. And well Done you.. 

When you upload media to tng you can have the process 'create' a thumbnail for you..

default-1.jpg

Or when you click on Admin > Media you will see the Tab at the top with Thumbnails, If you click on that and then the regenerate Thumbnails, that should do it..

Suggest you read the Help file first, just to be sure you understand what will happen.. I have not used this feature as yet.. <smile>.

default-2.jpg

P.S, Nice Pic of your Nan.

Edited by RickM
Added PS..

Robin Richmond

If you are uploading your data from a Gedcom import, and importing media information through the Gedcom file, then you basically have to count on your source application to define each person's default photo.  The default photo specification would then be written  to the Gedcom file and imported into TNG

There may be a process or mod somewhere that lets you run through people quickly in order to select default photos.  But, again, if you are importing your media information though Gedcom, then that independently-defined default status may be lost with each Gedcom import. 

I know of one TNG mod that is intended to help identify default photos - Ken Roy's Default Photo Path Mod

I am very sure that the Default Photo Path mod is specifically meant to work with media data that is imported through Gedcom.  If you did want to use it in that context, then you might have to tweak some the media files path, and perhaps move specific default image files into a separate folder, but it looks as though it could help. Maybe.

Boy, in retrospect, this doesn't sound like a lot of help, but maybe its something 

- Robin

Ken Roy
2 hours ago, Robin Richmond said:

the Default Photo Path mod is specifically meant to work with media data that is imported through Gedcom.

Robin,

The Default Photo Path mod is specifically meant to support those of us who are still using the old style default photo that are in the form of treeID.personID.jpg to allow us to move those photos into another folder or as a subfolder to the photos folder.  See Media - Default Images

and the actual Default Photo Path Mod article itself

Depending on genealogy software creating the GEDCOM, I think some photos are marked as _PRIM in more than one location, since I remember creating a mod to suppress those or maybe it was to not set the default photo

Robin Richmond

Boy. Bad typo. I completely changed the meaning of my sentences by omitting "not".  I'm sorry for the misdirection.  I even missed the specific premise of Default Photo Path mod, and was focusing on the naming convention.  Beyond that, I'm increasingly skeptical that this would help ChristineH in the first place, since it appears that her photo files are already defined.

Still, let's say that, in my desktop genealogy application, I defined photos whose filenames are in the the form treeID.personID.jpg, linked those photos the the right person, without explicitly declaring them to be default photos, and then imported the media item data and medialinks into TNG via Gedcom.  Would TNG automatically use those photos as the default photos in the Person Profile and applicable charts?

If so, does the Gedcom Import set the primary photo flag for the medialinks?

- Robin

theKiwi
6 hours ago, Robin Richmond said:

Still, let's say that, in my desktop genealogy application, I defined photos whose filenames are in the the form treeID.personID.jpg, linked those photos the the right person, without explicitly declaring them to be default photos, and then imported the media item data and medialinks into TNG via Gedcom.  Would TNG automatically use those photos as the default photos in the Person Profile and applicable charts?

Yes it would because of the naming convention of them, but it would also include them in the Photos section of the webpage because they were linked in the GEDCOM file.

Roger

christineH

And just like that I have a family tree with pics!  So easy when you know how!! 

Thank you so much everyone!

Chris

RickM

Well done Christine,

Onwards and upwards, hopefully you will find more family to add along with more photos to add..