TNG Community
EliseKae

Media didn't import

EliseKae

So I imported a new gedcom file, told it to import media. Told it exactly where in my computer the files were.  Everything seemed to be going good.  Saw the #'s of media files downloading.  

I then went to look in the webserver's files directory to see where all the media files were, to make sure they got put in the right location.  But there were none.

So am I supposed to manually put the files in my webserver?

Thanks

Elise'

theKiwi

The GEDCOM file doesn't contain the media - it contains links to the media. It is these links that get imported into TNG, after they've been processed by the settings that in TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Import Settings, to take off the part that relates to the paths on your computer, leaving behind the part that relates to where the file is on your TNG site.

You need to use an FTP software to get the images from your computer to the appropriate folders on your TNG site. Take a look at this page on the TNG Wiki...

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Import_Media_Using_GEDCOM

Roger

Philip Roy

I found the concept really confusing when I started with TNG (I think we get hung up on the word "import")....so this is how I think about it....

* You've got all your media on your computer

* You've also uploaded the same media to your webserver, using the same folder structure

* But there's a slight problem....the GEDCOM file you created on your computer contains information about computer paths. Stuff like this (as from that article)...

2 FILE ~/Documents/Documents/Genealogy/Roger/ReunionPictures/photos/people/RogerOval.JPG

...and the website isn't interested in all of that info...just some of it.

So you provide that information within TNG's import's settings and you are then basically saying to TNG...

"Hey, there's information about my computer paths that I want you to ignore each time you import my GEDCOM file. Instead, just strip that info out and instead, you'll find my media files sitting in the same structure on the webserver...so just point to those files instead please."

Hope that helps? I know it's not a completely accurate way to look at it.

Phil

RickM

Hey Philip, it might not be completely accurate, but even I get the jist.. I don't do a lot of importing so don't really use the facility. But should I need to I have to remember your explanation.

Thank You..

Philip Roy

Wasn’t going for accuracy, just the general feeling of what happens during the import process 😉 As everything I am working on is done in Reunion (basically enhancing all the work that Mum and Dad did for years) I frequently update via a GEDCOM import. TNG  is effectively the way I present the face of all that work for my relatives.

Phil

EliseKae

Thank you all.  I suspected that I would have to copy them over, but I just wasn't sure.

Elise'

EliseKae

In RootsMagic software, it puts every kind of media in one folder.  Should I keep it that way for the website?

theKiwi
17 minutes ago, EliseKae said:

In RootsMagic software, it puts every kind of media in one folder.  Should I keep it that way for the website?

For ease of synching between your TNG and your computer, keeping them in one folder in TNG is probably easiest, but I don't know the full implications of that on TNG - if you can have them in subfolders in the default RootsMagic folder then you could match those sub-folders to the folders TNG expects to see - photos, documents, headstones, etc.

Roger

Ken Roy

Chuck Filteau uses RootsMagic and I think synchs between RootsMagic and Ancestry.  You may need to ask the question on the TNG user2list which is where I have seen him answer questions before

EliseKae
17 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Chuck Filteau uses RootsMagic and I think synchs between RootsMagic and Ancestry.  You may need to ask the question on the TNG user2list which is where I have seen him answer questions before

Okay Ken, where do I find the "user2list".  Is it a Wiki or in the Forum so somewhere else?

Ken Roy

Elise,

Go to TNG Admin.  The Getting Started link at the top of the screen displays a help screen that will show how to subscribe to the list

FYI, I created a mod at one time that allows exporting different Media Collections so the media from a TNG web site can be imported to desktop programs See the download link for Export for RootsMagic in Export Media For Desktop

I think it is still valid.  I played around with RootsMagic but never converted to it.  I am still on PAF 5.2 since not everything converted correctly from PAF 2.3 back in 2005 after I retired