TNG Community
RickM

Cemetery Photos / Headstones adding New / Edit settings ***SEE TEMP RESOLUTION***

RickM

** UPDATE SEE BELOW **

So I have JUST noticed that with Headstones & Cemetery Photos (Media), they are two entirely different media in the resulting output showmap.php.

When I first added Headstone photos I ticked 'Link this Media directly to this Cemetery'.. Never gave it a further thought UNTIL today.. Been trying to figure out some code in showmap.php (I could not understand the production of a table for what appeared to be headstones. I decided to test a theory and lo and behold Untick 'Link this media directly to this Cemetery' and this mysterious table pops up with 'Headstone' pics. Thats great.

HOWEVER, the Map that always showed now does not.. And that is regardless of ticking ' Show cemetery map and media whenever this item is displayed ' I am using OSM and have uninstalled ALL Mods except OSM..

Since I have only discovered this method of showing headstones v other media for a cemetery, I may not have some other setting set right.

OR

Might this be an 'undocumented feature'??

Screen pics?? Let me know I can do that..

** UPDATE **

After much fiddling and confusion.. Remove the latitude/longitude and Zoom Level from the media edit screen, no ticks for either option (as above) for each headstone and bingo, the map returns. We have the Headstones Table and or Cemetery Photos Table depending on options 'ticked'.

So it seems one cannot Geo Locate a headstone AND have a Cemetery Map show..

Don't have a Google Maps 'Map Key' so cannot see if this is purely an OSM issue or TNG/OSM issue or TNG..

Cheers in advance..

Edited by RickM
Add an update re how to duplicate issue and 'resolve'

RickM

@RogerMoffat,

As suggested I have copied the email to tngusers2 here  just in case

Roger,

What you have pointed out probably suggests there is an issue of some sort with OSM. Although I could not see any errors generated.. So I have changed the second site to use Google Maps, effectively setup the same as the first site.

When adding/editing  Headstone Media, there is a place to enter Plot Info (Such that you can see in the first pic of both sites).. the output that showmaps.php produces brings that Plot info AND/OR Lat Long info IF either or both are not null.. That you can see in the second site listing of the last two 'headstone pics'..

It Seems IF the Plot info AND Lat Long have database table entries they are written to the table cell as output, BUT then the Map does NOT show...

May I suggest that you edit one of the headstone pics here http://tngwp.lisaandroger.com/genealogy/showmap.php?cemeteryID=7&tree=Roger and add some dummy plot info such as

568, Section: C of E-2, Row: O

Map_Issue-1.jpg

Save your changes then refresh the page to see if your map shows..

As I have stated, I have tried various ways to ensure the issue is not 'User Dumbass', Mod interaction, residual Mod code in the file, OSM related and or Google Map related..

I have attached a snippet of the Plot Info addition place in the Admin Media Edit page.. NOTE: This only shows for Headstone Media.. This Email may get rejected because of the attached jpg, so I am copying this to the Forum just in case. That way you will see the image..

Cheers

Rick M

Tauranga
New Zealand

https://alineofmalkins.com

Malkins in New Zealand 

RickM

As a further Update to this..

I believe that having Plot Info in addition to Lat Long info for a Headstone Image causes the Cemetery Map NOT to show.

theKiwi
32 minutes ago, RickM said:

As a further Update to this..

I believe that having Plot Info in addition to Lat Long info for a Headstone Image causes the Cemetery Map NOT to show.

Nope - as pointed out in the eMail list, there's an error that shows up, due to somehow the plot information appears on separate lines in the page's source code and that throws an error about an unexpected end of line.

This code should all appear on 1 online starting with "contentString = <div....... and ending with </div>

image.png

Something is forcing Plot:, Record:, and Funeral Director: to start on new lines.

Roger

RickM

@theKiwi

Solved the problem, User input error.. Seems the method of entry is very important

Thank you for taking the time to push me to a resolution..

Ken Roy
6 hours ago, RickM said:

Solved the problem, User input error.. Seems the method of entry is very important

Rick,

Indicating it is a user input error, does not help others in solving the problem.  It would be better to indicated what method of entry was used to resolve this problem.

RickM

Ken,

I actually did go through all of this on the TNGUSER2 Mailings.

Roger found the issue, and solved it.. I just went through the process of figuring out there was an issue, could someone help verify the issue, and then I could pass it onto Darrin.. From what Roger kept indicating to me was user input error or Mod clashing..

My fix was simple, add <br /> when wanting a line break..

Darrin is (I guess) looking at a permanent fix.. Again well done to Roger for getting the issue out in the open and getting a resolution sorted.

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, RickM said:

My fix was simple, add <br /> when wanting a line break.

Rick,

Maybe I missed it but do not recall you mentioning adding a line break as your solution to the user input error.

RickM

Ken

You recall correct, I did not mention MY solution, as I figured Darrin will have THE solution out soon enough.. And no, you are sharp enough not to miss much at all..

I'm sure you followed the users mailing through and saw what processes I took to try and narrow down where the issue was. The only part I missed was that having Plot info on separate lines breaks showmap.php and showing the map (regardless of it being Google or OSM or any Mod (at least that I have (including Private Mods))). Roger kept indicating 'User Input Error' so I accepted that and have NOT moved on..

Ken Roy

Rick,

I was not trying to give you a hard time and I had seen Roger's additional email to Darrin this morning narrowing on the problem.

However, if Darrin fixes it, the code change will not be available until TNG 13.0.2.

Maybe I think differently than others, when I expect users to post a solution or work around when they indicate it is resolved as a user input error

Cheers

RickM

Ken,

No you don't think differently, I would expect the same.. However, I'm sure you realise that I am not happy about the way I was handled in dealing with this issue..

I note, that you at least have the courtesy to say thank you for pointing this out or bringing this to my attention.

I am quite proud I found a bug and was (IMHO) able to narrow it down as far as I did.. And it just seemed to me that Roger stepped in and took over making him the hero..

As I have said in the users maling I'm moving on..

I will post a separate advise noting the 'fix' until a permanent solution has been released.. Having said that, if the fix means that the Plot field will work the same way as other text input fields do then folks may not like the extra break in the line and have to go back and change it.. I don't have a lot of headsstone pics at the mo but the few I do is enough to mean an hour of changing.. I have done that already on my new v13 site. So I am hoping Darrin might let this one ouut sooner rather than later.

RickM

Hi All

As a temporary fix for the issue discovered and resolved by Roger

Enter the Plot info for a headstone pic on ONE LINE not separate lines Eg

Plot #: 123
Row : 97
Section : ABC

But like

Plot #: 123<br />Row : 97<br />Section : ABC

The down side of this is when a permanent fix is issued the <br /> tag will possibly add an extra line to the entry spacing it out more. Meaning you may have to go back and remove the tags.. I could be wrong and others more smarter than I will let me know I'm sure..

Have a good one today folks.. I do hope that Covid#19 is not affecting you as much as it is some of my friends now. Just heard one of them and his family have all tested postive..

Ken Roy

Rick,

15 hours ago, RickM said:

However, I'm sure you realise that I am not happy about the way I was handled in dealing with this issue..

I note, that you at least have the courtesy to say thank you for pointing this out or bringing this to my attention.

I am quite proud I found a bug and was (IMHO) able to narrow it down as far as I did.. And it just seemed to me that Roger stepped in and took over making him the hero..

If your feelings are hurt get over it.  Roger and I have been providing help to other users on the forum and on the user2list for a long time.

There is no hero in identifying problems.  Opening a problem on the forum and then on the user2list is counter productive to those of us who try to help others.  It causes double work.

RickM

Ken,

I appreciate there is no 'hero' in finding bugs. Regardless of such, I felt that Roger treated me with a lack of respect nor courtesy.. Perhaps he thought my abilities were greater than they are.. And expected more from me. Maybe even to somewhat throw the issue aside because I wasn't providing appropriate info (In His Humble Opinion) should have given him a clue, that I may not be as smart as he first thought. The nice email I got from Roger went so far to say (in a subtle way) 'Nah Nah Nah Ha, I found the bug and solved it. You didn't, Nah Nah Nah ha. And I brought it to Darrins attention.. Who's the MAN?? Not YOU!!'.. I was nice and gave him the info I had on the Cleghorn (not much I might add) I had mentioned in during the conversation, who is related to my partner. If Roger is related by blood to these Cleghorns then I can understand Roger a little bit.

As I explained in the user2list and I think here in the forum I was attaching an image which 'I thought' might help.. I have attempted this once in the past and the message was rejected (I understand the why of this properly now (probably space saving and or security)) so I pre-empted that and advised I would post on the forum to be sure it was available.. In hindsight and given your dressing down for causing double work, I perhaps should have sent it privately to Roger, but then perhaps others who may have been following might have wondered what the image actually showed.. IMHO a catch22.

As already said before, at least you have the courtesy of saying thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Whilst you and Roger have been around for quite some time helping others (and me), I'm sure you have been thanked/praised and possibly patted on the back for your efforts, along with other privileges of being 'in with Darrin'. And fair enough, you do an admirable job. So why, when someone (not only me), goes out of their way to suggest an issue/'BUG', then attempt to figure out what is causing it AND coming within a gnats hair of finding the actual issue, is a thank you so hard to give out. And perhaps a pat on the back to. Everyone needs/craves encouragement. I'm damned sure if people just took from you without so much as a thank you, you would feel annoyed.

The absolute truth, Ken, is I am now reluctant to report the possibility of an issue/"BUG". And for the simple reason I doubt my ability to a) report it properly and in the right space b) provide enough information to replicate the issue, c) figure out which part of the code appears to be affected along with a number of other factors that I guess would come up.

And YES, I believe I have found another issue concerned with the 'pop-up' windows (not sure if thats the right terminology used by TNG TEAM) when searching place names on data entry for people (ADMIN >> Add Person (I think the screen is) and I am entering their birthplace/deathplace/burialplace (Can't quite remember the actual one that caused the issue).  I get the pop-up, fill in what I am looking for and the screen locks up.. I have to close the browser tab to get out. So that is about it.. Up to you now to figure out that one cos I (genuinely) don't have the ability to. And to answer your question about uninstalling Mods, NO I have not. Do I really want to go there. Maybe I will when I get pissed off enough and no-one else has said anything.

We are all, in essence, working toward the same goal. That of a product that works well with few or no bugs (although I have read that a program without bugs is redundant. Figure that one out) and has features that we all can appreciate and use. So we make an effort as best we can to give feedback, provide suggestions, create and share Mods 'free of charge' because it is the only way to get something folk may like out there, point out issues 'BUGS', all for the glory of the product.. So really HOW hard is it to say "THANK YOU"? How hard is it to see the effort a person has gone to (regardless of the level of knowledge about how to) to say they have an issue with blah blah and it does blah blah, what should I do? Most folk may not seem to care if they are not thanked or praised for their efforts, and I am like that too. BUT I ask again, 'HOW HARD IS IT??'

Kind regards

Ken Roy

I guess you are extremely sensitive to how we answer.  I went back and re-read the emails and I do not see anything where Roger was disrespectful

Also my comment about opening the problem in 2 areas is not a dressing down. 

Sorry you feel slighted.

RickM

Perhaps I am, and thank you!

What is is, what will be will be.

Have a grand day.