TNG Community

Note and sources marked as PRIVATE

Jan Suhr

In my system I have sometimes notes and/or sources that I have marked as Private since I don't want them to be for public view.

In my mind that would mean that they would not show up in any way. However what I get is the text PRIVATE instead of the actual text itself, I did expect this to be hidden.

As you see in my screen shot there are two places with the word PRIVATE and in the case of the link in Sources it is clickable and all the names are then listed for all that have this PRIVATE tag. I don't think that this is correct.

private tags.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan Suhr

• Michel KIRSCH

• Ken Roy

• Rob Severijns

2 hours ago, Jan Suhr said:

I did expect this to be hidden

Jan

Are you logged in as administrator or as a regular user?

9 minutes ago, Brett said:

Jan

Are you logged in as administrator or as a regular user?

Regular user, it shows the same thing when in Admin mode

BUT, if the individual is set as Living it shows differently
Then the Sources are completely gone and the Notes show this: At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld.
One of the sources here is not set to Private but are not showing.

Looking in to this a bit more I can see when open notes or sources in TNG Admin that are marked "PRIVATE" I see that they have the word "PRIVATE" as a text value instead of getting them marked as Private.

Must be something wrong with the translation of my Gedcom from MacFamilyTree

Private tag is title.png

Private notes.png

Rob Severijns

Jan,

In your last screenshot there is a checkbox in the left lower corner that needs to be checked in order to make the note PRIVATE.

Did you do that with all your private notes?

I guess that the User Rights have the "View Private" unchecked.

By the way there is a nice mod by Michel Kirsch that highlights your private notes.

Confidential Notes Color 

Just take a look to see if it is useful to you.

Rob

4 hours ago, Jan Suhr said:

Must be something wrong with the translation of my Gedcom from MacFamilyTree

Jan,

When you exported your GEDCOM, did you export all data (notes and facts), or did you select an option that says not to export private or confidential information and the exported GEDCOM file itself contains the word PRIVATE in your actual notes for that person?  (Sorry, I am doing this from what I remember as an option for exporting in RootsMagic, since I am  still using PAF)

There is also an option on the Setup > Import Settings to specify what character is used to mark notes private, so that private or confidential notes can be exported but not shown to the user.

Ken,

In Mac Family Tree there is an option when exporting the Gedcom to either  "Hide information marked as Private" or "Export information marked as Private"
I normally use the Hide alternative. Maybe that is the problem.

I'll test both alternatives to my locally installed TNG and see what happens.

I'll report back when it is done

OK I have tried both alternatives when exporting from Mac Family Tree.

When using "Hide information marked as Private" it results in that those items will not be in the exported Gedcom.
But they are referred to in the records that have this source from Mac Family Tree.

And then the source is specified in the Gedcom with its ID like this and you can see we have the TITL as PRIVATE and this is what is shown in my TNG.
I can run a Script on the Gedcom to remove "PRIVATE" from the file or change it to something else

0 @S20009083@ SOUR
1 TITL PRIVATE
1 CHAN
2 DATE 11 OCT 2020
3 TIME 19:54:56
1 _CRE
2 DATE 11 OCT 2020
3 TIME 19:54:32
1 PRIV

Just by removing the word PRIVATE from the Gedcom as in the example above leaves it blank but still with the reference to the source with this ID as:
[S20009083] (Reliability: 3).

I can live with this. It is not as ugly looking without the PRIVATE in there.

Thanks

Jan,

Does your genealogy program include a character that marks information as private when you export everything?

PAF uses ~ (the tilde)

RootsMagic uses either one or 2 {{  (left brace)

You could check the Desktop category in the TNG Wiki to see what has been documented by others

I find that it easier to export everything and then protect the information in TNG, but others might have other preferences

Ken,

No special markings, it looks like this when private tags are exported. As you can see it removes the Title and change it to PRIVATE and then remove the reference to the NOTE if I chose to not export items marked as Private
But I can do a script that finds the rows that are 1 TITL PRIVATE and change them to just 1 TITL

0 @S20009083@ SOUR
1 TITL Dornonville de la Cour från gultarpgen.se
1 AUTH https://gultarpgen.se/
1 DATE 11 OCT 2020
1 NOTE @N89910122@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 11 OCT 2020
3 TIME 19:54:56
1 _CRE
2 DATE 11 OCT 2020
3 TIME 19:54:32
1 PRIV

Jan,

What software are you using? 

10 minutes ago, Jan Suhr said:

1 PRIV

Looks like there is a PRIV flag exported.   Does TNG set the Private flag on the note based on the flag? 

If so there are several mods that can restrict the display to the TNG Administrator.  Currently TNG allows view of Private notes (secret flag in the database) to anyone who has View Private information.

Rob pointed to one mod, but there are several others

Well they seems to be more for Individuals to be set at Private. I found one that I couldn't test because it wouldn't install. It was for version 11 and called Private Note Mod. I see that you have been involved with that one.

As I said I can write a script that will remove the word PRIVATE from the Gedcom.

Bu tI will also contact Diedrich Heismer who makes the Gedcom utility http://ofb.hesmer.name/ofbserpro_e.html 
He can also make special requests for really special GEDCOM-manipulations and I'll ask him to make one that will remove all Sources and Notes from the Gedcom that has the 1 PRIV tag. That way I can also remove the references in each INDI to the SOUR with a 1 PRIV in it and in that way clean up my Gedcom from all this information I don't want to display.

My TNG site is only for public view, I have no users in it except myself as Admin. All my work is done in Mac Family Tree and transferred now and then to my TNG-site.

Jan,

I have not been able to fix the Private Note Mod due to several things going on and the logic in the program having changed substantially in TNG 13.  The following are the mods I am using to protect information marked with the Secret flag in the database, but displayed as Private in the admin edit or add screens

Michel Kirsch has posted the Confidential Notes Color  mod.  I do not use it because I am color-blind but it is also a good way to seen notes that are marked as secret when you are logged in as Admin.  I use the Display Private Notes for that purpose

Michel KIRSCH
10 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

By the way there is a nice mod by Michel Kirsch that highlights your private notes.

Confidential Notes Color 

Just take a look to see if it is useful to you.

Rob

😉

Well the problem I have with the Private notes and sources is that my Mac Family Tree just exports them or not. There is no special markings in the Gedcom that can be catched as Rob describes. So none of the Mods can be used here.

I have to fix the Gedcom after it is exported from MFT and clean it up from the PRIV tags. It can be done and I will tell you about it when it is done.

Thanks

Rob Severijns

Jan,

Since there is the word Private in the title their might be a solution in phpMyAdmin to run an SQL statement that sets all notes to Private in TNG once it sees the word Private in the title and afterwards deletes the word Private from the Title.

Maybe someone is able to make a mod that does just that.

Rob

5 minutes ago, Rob Severijns said:

Jan,

Since there is the word Private in the title their might be a solution in phpMyAdmin to run an SQL statement that sets all notes to Private in TNG once it sees the word Private in the title and afterwards deletes the word Private from the Title.

Maybe someone is able to make a mod that does just that.

Rob

I have a solution to this. I will inform you about it when it is ready.

• 3 weeks later...

A technical question about this. Where should the prefix be in the Gedcom tags to be seen by TNG.
Should it be in the TITL before the text?
Or should it be in the PRIV tag?

Thanks

0 @S61346920@ SOUR
1 TITL Source on event info
1 CHAN
2 DATE 23 NOV 2020
3 TIME 08:10:06
1 _CRE
2 DATE 23 NOV 2020
3 TIME 08:09:51
1 PRIV

Michel KIRSCH

This is a private person with a private note. Gedcom from TNG 13.0.1

0 @I11716@ INDI
1 NAME Dummy /PPPHILIPPART/
2 GIVN Dummy
2 SURN PPPHILIPPART
1 SEX M
1 _PRIVATE Y
1 NOTE Private note added
2 _PRIVATE Y
1 FAMC @F567@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 23 Nov 2020

Michel

2 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

This is a private person with a private note. Gedcom from TNG 13.0.2

0 @I11716@ INDI
1 NAME Dummy /PPPHILIPPART/
2 GIVN Dummy
2 SURN PPPHILIPPART
1 SEX M
1 _PRIVATE Y
1 NOTE Private note added
2 _PRIVATE Y
1 FAMC @F567@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 23 Nov 2020

Michel

Thanks, but I'm importing and when doing that there is a setting for a prefix in the Private items in the Gedcom. With this prefix the private items will be treated correctly. My Mac Family Tree handles this differently and as you see in the previous posts I will make a fix for this but I need to know where that Prefix should be added.

Michel KIRSCH

I assume that if TNG exports its data in this way, it imports it the same way.

After test, this notation is well imported by TNG.

So you can use it to make your changes...

your post with the text below means that this source (S61346920) is private

How is "marked" a private person or a private note?

0 @S61346920@ SOUR
1 TITL Source on event info
1 CHAN
2 DATE 23 NOV 2020
3 TIME 08:10:06
1 _CRE
2 DATE 23 NOV 2020
3 TIME 08:09:51
1 PRIV