TNG Community
MadRanger

No Place Edit or Add with OSM Installed

MadRanger

Good evening,

With OSM Mod v13.0.0.7 installed, I lost the ability to Add or Edit Places. Specifically, the Search button is not to the right of a place name on the Add screen.  I have added v13 Patch to the test site, but as yet have not done so with the prod site – both exhibit the same problem. And strangely, the Search button in the map field reports no internet connection.

OSM - EditPlace.JPG

Prior to installing the OSM Mod, I did set the Map Key to OSM. Neither of the two Mods known to interfere with earlier versions of OSM are installed.

When OSM is installed, mod manager shows lines 76-90 are “copied” with a following line highlighted in red,

The remaining relevant lines (99 & above) are annotated on Mod Manager as either verified or installed.   

OSM Install.JPG

Have I missed something when adding OSM - or in how OSM functions?

www.CarrFamilyTree.com

TNG v13 (without the patch)

XAMPP v13 has the v13 patch

RickM

@MadRanger

I too have OSM v13.0.0.7 installed.

Is the screenshot with Places Edit Existing a 'before Mod install' or "After Mod install'?  I ask because I can see you have the Add and Edit ability available in that screenshot..

When I go to Admin Places, I have the Add New but no edit.. When I click on the Edit button next to a 'place' I am able to edit..

MadRanger

RickM,

Good point. While the Add/Edit tabs are present, there is no apparent means to edit a place. Note that for Richland, GA, the LAT LON centers on Washington, DC which I recall is how I have the default set (rather than a location off the west coast of Africa. The only way for me to get the LAT LON to change is to click into the map - that should be an auto-geocode function.

EDIT: The OSM Mod is installed in the screen shots above. The shot below shows the production site with the OSM Mod uninstalled with the Geocode option with the associated Search button.

OSM - Uninstalled - Add Place.JPG

Regis

Ken Roy

Regis,

OSM is not required to install the OpenStreetMap mod.  It is required to Activate OpenStreetMap instead of Google Maps after you install the mod.  In the screen capture you are not indicating any errors, so I take it the OpenStreetMap shows with an Installed status

I guess our use of %note: that displays in the status line is being misinterpreted by a lot of users.  It is meant as a short reminder of what is indicated in the TNG Wiki article for the mod.

Do you have any other mods install that change the Admin place screens?

There is no Edit tab when you initially enter Admin > Places, so did you select a place for the screen you are showing?

RickM

Regis,

Again looking at the screenshot, surely you can edit the place name in the 'white' background box??

I too get the 'No Internet Connection' error

Ken,

I have two Mods that affect admin_places.php. One being OSM and the other my Lat-Long Mod. Uninstalling Lat_Long, had no effect apart from the changes it affected.

Gotta take the dogs for a walk, they are getting bored and starting to destroy each other and my new office..

MadRanger

Ken,

I did in fact attempt to Edit the Richland, GA site since I had added the place to a person's page and the GeoCode Assist globe displayed. So that is how Edit showed on the screenshot.

I had the GeoCode Assist, Google Maps - Add 4 Places, and MapPlace2Link mods installed. I just uninstalled Google Maps mod but that had no effect.

Ref OSM... Yes, the OSM Mod status is Installed. The Mod Manager advises that the OSM Mod "Requires OSM in the beginning of the map key in Map Settings." I suppose that you are simply telling me that as long as I eventually add OSM to the Map Setting, I will get OpenStreetMaps to function.

Rick,

Sure I can change the name in the Place box. But that is all that happens; no Geocode, no  Search, no Save. Hence no Add/Edit. And with humor, No Internet.

Regis

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, MadRanger said:

Ref OSM... Yes, the OSM Mod status is Installed. The Mod Manager advises that the OSM Mod "Requires OSM in the beginning of the map key in Map Settings." I suppose that you are simply telling me that as long as I eventually add OSM to the Map Setting, I will get OpenStreetMaps to function.

Requires OSM is meant to indicate a change from TNG v12 where OpenStreetMap mod was activated by clearing the Map Key field in Admin > Setup > Map Settings

In TNG v13, the Map Key can have 3 different settings:

* empty - meaning no maps are displayed (this is a change from TNG v12 where an empty Map Key mean use the OpenStreetMap mod code when the mod is installed

* Google Map API key - to use the Google Maps interface

* OSM - to use the OpenStreetMap interface

None of your screen captures match exactly what I am seeing.  When I click the globe after a place name in the getperson.php page inserted by the GeoCode Assistant mod, I have the following tabs -  Search, Add, Merge, Geocode, Edit  whether I am using Google Maps or the OpenStreetMap mod interface

Note that I import my data so I may not be the expert on what the admin screens show

XerxX

Hi,

I can verify that I also get "No internet connection" when searching for a place.

However, I also get "No internet connection" at my TNG 12.3 (OSM v12.x) live site so my guess is that it's a temporary error at the service servers.

/Erik

MadRanger

Erick,

I think the No Internet error is an issue with the Mod since I otherwise have access to my website.

Ken,

I did get a Geocode tab on the Places page at one point. Trying to figure out under what settings that happened.

My immediate problem is that I can't edit any place either from the Globe or from the listing of places - principally because there is no Search button on the OSM map that would set the LAT LON and there is no Save on an open Edit page if I could ever get the LAT LON properly set (and I can't).

Ken Roy

Regis,

Do you have the October 6 patch to TNG 13 installed?  If not go to the TNG download page and get the patch zip file and install it

XerxX
6 hours ago, MadRanger said:

I think the No Internet error is an issue with the Mod since I otherwise have access to my website.

Both my live sites, one using OSM mod v12.3.0.6a and the other using OSM mod v11.1.2.5a, have got the same "No internet connection" when trying to find a place from within the OSM edit map. There is no change to these mods...

But I think it's been too long. Maybe there's some change in how to call the service.

I'm going away shortly but will check best I can when I'm back later today.

6 hours ago, MadRanger said:

I did get a Geocode tab on the Places page

The OSM mod removes the Geocode tab as it's not connected. Other mods, like OSM Automatic Geocoding may bring it back and should therefore be installed after the OSM mod if used together.

Best regards,

Erik

XerxX

Hi all,

Please try again. This was the result just now on my live 12.3 site:

osmok.gif

My localhost (13.0) is also okay now.

/Erik

RickM

Indeed Erik, it seems that I can do the search thing now in v 13.0 .. Thats weird

Maybe the OSM site was somehow disconnected for a while..

MadRanger

Eric & Rick,

I too finally got the Search function in OSM to work. But then it disappointed me...or perhaps demonstrated that I having not been geocoding my places properly. For instance, previously I had "Butler, RIchland, Ohio, USA" coded by Google Maps, but OSM does not incorporate the county in its proffers as I entered it. (Or, it is the issue of an old dog not adapting to new tricks/methods.) Populating the search field manually was just one more step in the process --  so, leveraging the mod's option to "Copy geocoded name to Namebox" did not seem prudent. And Namebox as I tried to interpreted it should logically read Place field.

OSM - Search Place.JPG

So I am going back to my old method of geocoding: I use an old Google Maps API on my XAMPP site which auto populates the Geocode Location field with the entry from Place. And hit the Search button. With all my places similarly coded by Google, I regularly migrate the data to the production site that employs OSM. Use of the Google API in this manner has not led to any charges.

Google - Search Place.JPG

Thanks all for your feedback and help.

Regis

Ken Roy

Regis,

Are you saying that the OpenStreetMap geocode function does not allow the user the enter a Geocode Location name that is different than the place name.

That capability was added to the Google Map functions when we developing the Google Map function in TNG v6 so that we could have historical names in the Place table and use modern location names for geocoding.  I have not geocoded places in a long time, so I might be in for a surprise.

MadRanger

I think that OSM does allow different names in the Place and Geocode fields if I understand the OSM option for "Copy geocoded name to Namebox" being set to default (false/No).

But, the names that are in the OSM Place field -- and copied into the Geocode field -- did not show up in the Geocode options during lookup. The county name was not in the OSM listings (see as shown in the above OSM  snippet). That may just be an annoyance since I was used to Google not giving place options.

Bottom Line: I am no fan of OSM while editing. It certainly is acceptable for displaying results.

XerxX

If I need OSM to geocode a place, I often use the "copy from Search result to Place" option.

In search I enter Swedish name + county (Sw. "län") and when the map pin is set I edit the name in "Place" to what I want and save. For example; I can enter an old name from the church records instead of the modern name. Sometimes the name isn't even used any more. And as I use the parish name in the final place name (because church records are divided in parishes) I have to add it if it's not the same as the place (often is not).

I had to do the same when I used Google.

Well; we all use the tools in our own way. The important thing is that the server is up and running again.

Have a nice weekend!
Erik

Steve1200

Same issue here.

image.png

Geocode quit working about three days ago and the same message appears in TNG v12.3 13.0 and 13.1.

XerxX

Hi Steve,

This is not due to the mod. The server providing the geocodes is temporarely down. Can't tell you for how long though.

Last time this was discussed (above) it was up and running the same day, I think.

Regards,

Erik

Steve1200

Thanks Erik, I figured there was probably something wrong with the geocode website because maps still work without issues.