TNG Community
Jan_S

How Do I Install a Patch?

Jan_S

I am running ver 13.0 and need to install the 6 October patch. I am new to the program - just uploaded this week. The initial installation was done by Simply Hosting. I have never installed a patch and could use some help. Please talk Computers for Dummies language - I can follow instructions - but don't know what all the acronyms mean. 

Thank you for any help.

Philip Roy

If you think of TNG as a large collection of files...then the patch is a selection of those files that have changed since the v13 original release. It's Darrin saying "Here's all the files I have altered since then".

The way to apply these to your site is to FTP them (and I don't really want to get into the full name of that acronym) onto your site. Or in even more plain english....drop/upload them onto you site to replace the existing files that are there.

I don't know Simply Hosting at all, but if they are prepared to, they might be willing to accept the zipped patch file being sent to them and apply the patch for you. It would pay to ask them first but it's a relatively simple thing to do.

Two items of caution....

1. Make a backup of your site before asking them to do anything or proceeding with the patch

2. If you have altered any files in any way, including using mods, then you are going to have to reapply those changes. Sorry, I don't use mods, but there's info on the wiki about how to use them, so have a bit of a read first

Hope that helps?

Phil

Jan_S

Thank you! I see I have a lot of work to do. I will use a work around for now. But I'll be busy learning about FTP programs - looks like there's plenty of information out there.

manofmull

Jan

Do you need the patch?

If your site was set up prior to 6 Oct, then you might, otherwise unlikely.

When TNG13 was released last month, there were a couple of bugs that Darrin fixed via the patch.

There will be an upgrade to TNG13 in about two weeks time.

Jan_S

It's not that important that I need the patch. I read someone's post that when they added a new person it went back to i1 - and someone responded that a temporary fix was to exclude reusing ids - but that the patch also fixed that. Then I tried to add a new person and saw the problem. I thought I'd try the patch - but it's too complicated for me at the moment - especially since the temporary fix worked just fine. In the meanwhile - I have downloaded Filezilla - and I'm working on how to use it when the upgrade comes along.

tngrlkrz
On 10/16/2020 at 10:55 PM, Philip Roy said:

2. If you have altered any files in any way, including using mods, then you are going to have to reapply those changes

I would suggest 1a) Before overwriting  *any* files on the host, uninstall all mods because a mod may be changing one of those files being overwritten by a patched/new version of the TNG file.