TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brett

Mod Manager changing code

Brett

I have a clean install of TNG13 with no changes and no Mods installed. It is running on WAMPSERVER 3.2.3, PHP 5.6.40 - 7.4.9, MySQL 5.7.31.

When I install a Mod affecting getperson.php, lines 197, 200 and 203 are modified, even when those lines are not a Location in the Mod. It is always the same 3 lines, no matter which Mod is installed.

Those lines, on a clean getperson.php end with a blank. Mod Manager removes the blanks on installing the Mod but does not return them when the Mod is uninstalled.

I have tested this with several Mods. One to try is Collapse Family Children. Why is Mod Manager making these unnecessary changes? Additionally, shouldn't Mod Manager return any changes to how it was before the Mod was installed?

Ken Roy

Brett,

I believe the Mod Manager is removing trailing spaces and standardized the line endings because mods can come from Windows, MacIntosh, and Linux users where the line endings are all different.

It would be an impossible task to restore blanks in the line ending of the code.

tngrlkrz

Yes, i believe Rick called it 'normalizing' the code which Mod Mgr needs to properly parse and compare, but doesn't keep track of what was removed from code lines since it was extraneous anyway. I think BeyondCompare, with appropriate settings, ignores the differences and sees the before/after files as equal.

Brett

I am still unsure why characters are needed to be removed when they have been left by the developer - Darrin

Ken Roy

Brett,

As far as I know, the Mod Manager only standardizes line ending to remove any white space and use the same line endings so that mods created on Windows, MacIntosh, or Linux which all use different line endings will be installed.