TNG Community

Mods for V13 require login to royandboucher?

Barry Ennever

Barry Ennever

Hi, I have upgraded to V13 and am attempting to re-install my 3 mods: Cousins, Broad search & Delete places with no events.  The mod link for the Broad search mod  on https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Mods_for_TNG_v13 links to a login page for royandboucher so I'm unable top download the cfg file.

Can anyone assist plse?  Many thanks, Barry.

The Delete Places with no Events is an obsolete mod.  It was rolled into TNG v12 if I remember.

The Broad Search mod  needs to be moved to the TNG Wiki by either Ron who made it work in TNG 13 or the mod developer.

I will get this done later this morning for Broad Search and also Family Chart Links.  

The Family Chart Help mod was provided by Graham Chamberlain, who might no longer be in a position to support his mods.  Someone who uses his mod may need to take them over.

Jeff might also not be in a position to support his mods.  I have not seen him on the forum nor on the TNG user2list for a long time.

Michael,

It cannot be that essential since you do not even show as using that mod!  There are only 3 users in addition to Jeff who show as using the mod.  Nor do you show as using Graham's mod

Barry Ennever

There appears to be a minor error in the Cousins mod which prevented install for me.  Line 641 should read 

<input type="text" value="" name="mylastname" />

28 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Would like to help, but the first, Family Chart Help, I do not use, and downloads from G. Chamberlains wiki article are not possible. If you have a copy, send to me and I can take a look.

The second mod, Admin_Families_Plus, can be updated to install easily enough, but its usage results in a query error because of TNG13 changes to the Families area.  That requires some code change and testing, which would be best done by the author.  I might take a look, but it may be too complex for me.

I see now that Ken has discussed these mods earlier in this thread as well.

Barry Ennever

The Broad search mod adds [broadnote] to genlib.php.  This throws errors and should be  ['broadnote'] so line 123 of the cfg file needs to be corrected to include the single quote.

Hope this helps

8 minutes ago, Barry Ennever said:

The Broad search mod adds [broadnote] to genlib.php.  This throws errors and should be  ['broadnote'] so line 123 of the cfg file needs to be corrected to include the single quote.

Hope this helps

Interesting, it doesn't in my testing of the mod I posted. Was it an error or a notice or warning?   Irregardless, will make the change.

Update: I see it is a 'warning', I will fix but it doesn't preclude your using the mod.

Barry Ennever
19 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Interesting, it doesn't in my testing of the mod I posted. Was it an error or a notice or warning?   Irregardless, will make the change.

Update: I see it is a 'warning', I will fix but it doesn't preclude your using the mod.

Sorry, it is a warning and I have corrected it, thanks Ron.

3 minutes ago, Barry Ennever said:

Sorry, it is a warning and I have corrected it, thanks Ron.

That still should be corrected though, so I  have reuploaded the  Broad_Search_mod with the syntax warning corrected.  Thanks...Barry.

1 hour ago, manofmull said:

Ken

Many thanks for this. Adds a useful line to the family chart.

Michael and anyone else using this mod,

You should take the time to ask Darrin to include the mod in TNG.  It looks like it might be helpful to visitors.

Useful mods do not make it into TNG on their own,  We need to request that Darrin include the feature or capability in TNG.

The same goes with the other mod you are wanting.  I bet no one ever ask Darrin for either of those capabilities or changes.

16 hours ago, manofmull said:

Please see what you can do with Admin Families Plus.

While I don't have a fix on the Admin Families Plus mod for TNG13,  a temporary workaround is possible, if the 12.3 admin:families page is acceptable that is. Uninstall all mods first, then swap in v12.3's  admin_families.php for v13 admin_families.php and revert to the older Admin Famlies Plus v9 of the mod. 

This works in my testing.  But proceed with caution, I didn't test all nuances of the function.  And always uninstall mods before swapping  files like this to make sure you're working with 'clean' TNG php files.

I only suggest this alternative because it sounded like a critical mod for you and would suffice until a fix comes through.

Of course you forgo  new sorting capability and added fields displayed by the TNG 13 admin_famlies.php

This morning I did some merging and I was left with two empty F ID numbers.

There was no way to re-use those numbers as they existed. Annoyingly, editing the numbers was also not possible.

Not related to any mods, but I have a similar problem with Family Tree Maker. There are about 900 (!) empty or faulty Family IDs. Usually just a completely empty ID, but in some cases a family with children but without parents. FTM doesn't allow you to edit or delete them, and the empty ones you can't even find. They are exported in a gedcom, but don't show within the app.

For some reason, but luckily, TNG seems to ignore these, as I have no empty Family IDs in TNG.

3 hours ago, manofmull said:

Sounds a bit risky!

The risk is minimized if you follow the steps I outlined, *and* ...have a test system(s)...*and*..good backups.  I would be surprised  if you do not, since you  have enjoyed and found the need to install so many mods, and test systems are the best way to isolate conflicts among those mods.  But....as I said, just an alternative which is not for everyone. I have local test systems for v11 and v12.3, which is how I verified that the 'empty family' box and other search results and counts match using the older cfg and php program on TNG 13. Of course I cannot guarantee results or support. 

I guess the cardinal rule I follow to keep out of trouble when manipulating TNG's core files is to *always* uninstall all mods before.  If I forget to do that...then the backup may be needed to restore stability.

Some of the more significant changes in TNG 13 impacted the admin php files, and admin_families.php was one of them. Though I have my own 1000+ line private mod, as well as having modified over half of 80 installed published mods,  I am still learning with SQL and stumble with it.

On 10/3/2020 at 7:24 AM, manofmull said:

I hope someone really clever can update this mod or that Jeff resurfaces to do it.

The 'really clever' someone I asked to help with this mod was Michel Kirsch.  There is a working TNG13  version of Admin_Families_Plus now on the Wiki.  There was quite a few changes needed to the mod because of the significant TNG13 revisions for sorting and added fields and Michel was up to it. Results compare favorably to the TNG 12 version of the mod.

OK ,

I guess my testing was incomplete and posting the mod was premature.  There was a minor nuance I discovered, but that wasn't it. Though the mod identified the empty families, I didn't test deleting any.  I shall pull the released mod from the Wiki for now.  Michel already spent considerable time on this, so can't say if there will be resolution.

UPDATE:The TNG 13 update for the Admin Family Plus  has been suspended for now, especially since the original author is unreachable at this time.  I did post a workaround on this thread earlier, and Mike has posted his workaround as well.

1 minute ago, manofmull said:

Search Families from the Find menu and select "does not exist" for the four fields and Search.

Duh...I overlooked the obvious...I rarely use the 'do not exist', so I guess it didn't in my mind either  LOL.  Thanks for the clarification.

Search Families from the Find menu and select "does not exist" for the four fields and Search.

Actually,  that solution doesn't work on TNG 13...nothing is found, yet I know there of a couple empty families.

empty , found by entering known family ID:

image.png

results with 'do not exist' in advanced family search:

image.png

So...this is a buggy or unreliable search in TNG 13?

22 minutes ago, manofmull said:

The only way (at present) to delete your empty family is by going to CP PhpMyAdmin

Yea, I realize phpMyAdmin is an alternative.  I not as concerned since I have low empty family incidence, and all my editing is done in my PC software, not TNG. But will report this oddity to Darrin nonetheless, though he may deem it a freakish thing to even have empty families.  But...Search should find them.

Michel loves a challenge.  In spite of what we both agree is a TNG bug handling empty families,  he has the mod working, at least in the testing we've done.  The new version of Admin_Families_Plus has been posted on the TNG Wiki.  Give it a go.