TNG Community

Vertical descendant chart

fluffy82

%fileoptional  should be used for all languages other than English and English-UTF8.  There are still users who delete the language folders for the languages they do not use on their site.

2 hours ago, manofmull said:

Is it perfectly safe to delete the language folders?

Not speaking for Ken, but that's the reason for the %fileoptional:%, introduced because many were deleting and the mods wouldn't install. But now with that  in place, you should be able to delete any languages unused by users, except, yes, you need both English folders.

I am not sure that deleting the language folders for unused languages on your site substantially reduces your space utilization.

Agree with Ken, while the number of files in the  language folders is relatively high at 540+, the space taken is a mere 9 mb.  A few media items will easily surpass that size.  I should have added that there might be mods you have installed that are not yet using the %fileoptional statement, so they might not install with missing language files.

On 10/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, tngrlkrz said:

Roger, Can't you use the right scroll bars on the Mac Pro?  That's what I use in lieu of the mouse wheel scroll which is replaced by the zoom on the Windows10  laptop.

Yeah, but that's not the way I use my computer - I use the trackpad on both the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro to scroll all the pages I look at - two fingers on the trackpad scrolls almost any possible thing - the exceptions are situations like the Zoom Chart Mod, or some implementations of Google maps where as soon as the page scrolls under the pointer, the page stops and the Google maps scrolls in or out, leading to immediate annoyance.

Roger

16 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

I use the trackpad on both the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro to scroll all the pages I look at

Roger, did you try out the cfg file I sent you which disables the wheel zoom?

7 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Roger, did you try out the cfg file I sent you which disables the wheel zoom?

Not yet - won't be until later today - I have to run a Zoom online webinar all day for our genealogy society.

Roger

Ron,

The Zoom In does not appear to work correctly with the new Vertical Descendant chart.   I have not tested all charts because I still have a couple published mods that I need to update for TNG v13 as well as clean up several errors on my production site for my cemetery and veteran search pages. 

3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

The Zoom In does not appear to work correctly with the new Vertical Descendant chart. 

Yes, I was aware of this when testing with descendvert.php.  Of all the charts, only the Descendant Vertical zooms differently in that the zoom moves the position of the chart to the right or left so that dragging might be necessary to recenter.  Seems to happen when the chart exceeds the width of the screen, which is common when a generation of descendants become horizontal.  The behavior is the same whether using the buttons or the mouse to zoom.   However, I still find it useful for moving about in a larger or smaller sized chart quickly. I presume you were trying the cfg file w/o the wheel zoom? 

The other 2 Descendant charts and 4 Pedigree charts do appear to zoom correctly.  Hopefully, if Darrin integrates zooming, he can improve/fix the Descendant Vertical zoom behavior.  Or, of course, before then, anyone is who knows java script is welcome to take a look at the js script in the mod :) . It derives from this source: https://timmywil.com/panzoom/ .

Actually, all I got were 2 lines with no boxes, so I have no clue as to where the boxes got moved.   The same behavior happens on a standard Descendant chart, so the whole thing might be data related.  Too bad Darrin never implemented something like the scrollbox mod which would have kept the chart within the visible screen area and provide scroll bars to navigate. 

I am sure the behavior is also very different if you have a touchscreen computer.  Sorry I do not attempt to zoom using a touchpad, since I have disabled the Apple-type gestures

Thanks for the feedback, Ken.  I just had a test with my wife's iPad 5th gen, and it worked actually quite well, ...exactly like on my laptop.  In fact, it was quite zippy compared to my thinkpad.  I think iPad's are OK.

What device are you using? I don't recall.  I know Roger hasn't tested yet with his Mac Pro.

Ron

13 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

I know Roger hasn't tested yet with his Mac Pro.

I got a chance to install it, and it works fine with my Mac Pro - now I can scroll the page up and down without zooming the actual chart.

Roger

Ron,

I only tested on my Dell Inspiron laptop and only in a couple of charts.  As I said, the zoom on the Descendant charts might very well be data related and be a challenge to navigate for families with a large number of children.

Ken,  if it was a very large chart, the lines you saw were likely the connectors between boxes, and the 'container' seems to be left aligned, so the top generations end up being far to the right.   However, I had descendant rows that numbered in the hundreds after a couple generations and didn't experience it to the degree you did. 

I guess 'your mileage may vary' with the panzoom routines based on Roger's better results.  I may put a second version on the wiki with the mouse wheel zoom disabled until I figure out how to make it conditional on an Edit Option for the java script statement.  

Ron,

I installed the mod on Internet accessible sandbox and it appears to behave very differently there, and more in line with what I was expecting.

Will send you the credentials off list so you can take a look.  Not sure why the behavior on my WampServer is different

20 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Ron,

I installed the mod on Internet accessible sandbox and it appears to behave very differently there, and more in line with what I was expecting.

Will send you the credentials off list so you can take a look.  Not sure why the behavior on my WampServer is different

Ken - the Mod is using some online javascript library(s) so that might explain why it won't work offline.

Roger

I understand Roger,

My WampServer is online. It appears to behave like I would have expected on my hosting service sandbox.  Both of them are running PHP 7.4 (hosting service at 7.4.9 and local WampServer at 7.4.1)  From what I can see it will be a welcomed addition to the TNG charts.