TNG Community

Married Name Display

tngrlkrz

Hi,

Is anyone using this mod https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Married_Name_Display  v 12.1.0.2  that  could share the zip file? The wiki link leads to the author’s website, but not the file.  Just Private Message me or post here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron,

The Married Name Display is marked as no longer supported by the developer.   The page also indicates 

This mod is for use where traditionally the female assumes the male family name, it is not a design error, if your usage is not compatible do not install the mod

which implies you are not entering the woman's maiden name as her last name in your database if I remember correctly. 

Ken,

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if that meant married name was last name on entry,  just that it would capture the first husbands surname and put it aside her maiden name.  I *do* enter maiden names as last name, I just thought it would be nice to see the married name in the woman's heading , preferably in parenthesis, such as:

Dorothy (Wiltscheck) Krzmarzick,....or something of that nature.  Do you know of any mods that can do that?

Ron

p.s. I did contact the developer.   I also noted Scott DuPree is listed as a user.

26 minutes ago, Brett said:

I don't use it but have copy.

The mod does work!  In TNG 11.2 that is.  Will bring it forward to later version before evaluating whether it's what I want or not.

Thanks again.

Hmmmm ! doesn't installs on (my) TNG12.3.

And when adapted for 12.3, doesn't really works fine because doesn't takes into account the tree if more than 1 ... and sets the Living color Mod as Partially installed...

Ron, you can insert these lines in globallib.php  and try if it is you want (only tested with getperson.php)

Just BEFORE the line  (~ line 114):

if( ($row['allow_living'] || !$nonames) && ($row['allow_private'] || !$tngconfig['nnpriv']) ) {

insert this block of lines :

// add husband last name to wife lastname MichelK
global $link, $families_table, $people_table;
if($row['sex'] == 'F'){
    $mysql = "SELECT lastname FROM $people_table LEFT JOIN $families_table ON $families_table.husband = $people_table.personID AND $people_table.gedcom = $families_table.gedcom WHERE  $families_table.wife = '{$row['personID']}' AND $families_table.gedcom = '{$row['gedcom']}'";
    $myresult = mysqli_query($link,$mysql);
    $nomepoux = mysqli_fetch_assoc($myresult);
    if($nomepoux != "")
        $lastname = $lastname . " (" . $nomepoux['lastname'] .") ";
}
// add husband last name to wife lastname MichelK

Michel

married_name_display_v12.3.0.2.zip

Hi Michel,

Thanks, but already have it fixed for TNG 12.3 (and beyond) ...but only as it was written.😉

A few things though I would need to alter if I use it.  I only want the married name in the page headers; no where else.  Example:  MARRIEDSURNAME (BIRTHSURNAME), Firstname  in the Page Headers  I have that much working, but getnameuniversal function propagates this everywhere, charts, pedigree and descendant text, search, and all the rest.   I have to make sure only done when coming from function tng_drawheading or something like that.

While it does pickup the most recent of multiple husbands,  I don't think it recognizes divorces, and whether the divorcee keeps the married name...things of that sort.  But this gives me a good start to add to and see if I like it.  I haven't decided yet.

Your code works, but has the surnames swapped; i.e., I wish the birth/married name in () parentheses, not the married name. That is a convention I have seen and used.  I just changed your  line to the following:        $lastname = $nomepoux['lastname'] . " (" .$lastname.") ";

and I have the same solution as the original mod, but also the married name appearing everywhere which I don't want. Your code is also not taking the most recent of multiple husbands, but the first husband.  

Realize this is with no other mods...I expect conflicts with several other mods, including personal ones, that I am currently using.  

UPDATED  inline.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I'm picking up on this thread. I'm quite bewildered it's not default in TNG, as it greatly facilitates navigation if all surnames are searchable. Say that a woman (or man, sometimes) had three spouses and three different surnames + fourth at birth. Currently she is only searchable if one knows her maiden name. It's not very user friendly. 

I am new to TNG and personally used to use the following notation before in other softwares: Melinda Smith (I) Jones (II) Black (III) nee O'Brien. Is that really such a unique expectation? No chance to go along those lines? It doesn't seem very difficult to implement in my layman's view... 

Best

Marcin

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2020 at 7:13 AM, mycroft said:

Say that a woman (or man, sometimes) had three spouses and three different surnames + fourth at birth. Currently she is only searchable if one knows her maiden name. It's not very user friendly.

Good point.  I use FTM for where I keep all may data. (also Sync to Ancestry) I try to use AKA's for each spouse for the female. If the women's maiden name was "Jane Jones"  and was married to Surname  "Smith", "Baker", "Brown" I would add 3 AKA's: Jane Smith, Jane Baker, and Jane Brown.  Searching for both Maiden married surnames can be tricky.  Additionally, non genealogists often forget about the maiden name even if they are aware of it.