TNG Community
fluffy82

SOLVED - Places

fluffy82

Is it possible to add images or pdf files to place names?

I have, for example, a palace that has now disappeared. I the coordinates on the map by hand, but visually there is of course nothing. For future reference, I would like to add a one page pdf (which I could turn into a jpeg, if that's easier) showing an overlay of the palace area. For others, I would like to add pictures (churches, for example, or other specific buildings).

I could of course do it the other way around, and manually add a place to an uploaded media file. Would that show when the user goes to the place page? Like the associated events/persons show too?

Rob Severijns

Hi Fluffy82,

I believe it is possible to do although it might not be exactly what you ask for but you could try it anyway.

I did the following:

1. Make a .jpg out of the map you have and save it as a media file.
  2. Open your settings menu and go to media.
  3. Choose the media file of the map you wish to use and choose to edit.
  4. Go to Image Map at the bottom.
  5. Select a location on the map that applies to for instance a church and link it to a person.
  6. Edit the textbox below the image and make it link to a media file (Photo) of for instance the church. Find the mediaID via phpMyadmin.
  7. The text in te textbox should look something like this :  <area coords="579,541,591,565" href="showmedia.php?mediaID=123" title="Church" />
  8. Save all.
  9. When you view the media file of the map you can click the previously linked spot on the image and it wil take you to the photo of the church.

Kind regards,

Rob

fluffy82

That's not really what I mean. What you are describing, is a clickable media file of a map. I want the map to remain Google Maps, and the media I want (which can be an old map or a picture) shown on that page. Something like the cemeteries. There it is possible to upload and display an image linked to that specific place.

The other problem, but that's specific to my website, is the linking. As I import my tree through gedcom, and between gedcoms the person ID's change, I need to remove all previous media links before uploading a new gedcom. If I keep the media links, they will be linked twice. Once to the old ID (which is now the wrong  person), and once to the new (correct) ID. So I can only make links that are also possible in my desktop app, and exported in its gedcom.

EDIT: Of course, if I put the href to a media file in the notes section of the place, that would result in a clickable link. But I'd prefer the image to be shown as well, not only a link...

cemetery.PNG

plaats.PNG

Rob Severijns

Hi,

I see what you mean.

Not sure how to accomplish that.

Maybe someone else knows how to.

Rob

bhemph

Tom,
Place picture.PNG     

This is what I get when I add media and manually attach them to a place.  You would just need to make sure not to delete medialinks with a linktype of L so that the media would remain linked to the place.

Since TNG automatically uses the thumbnails on the placesearch page, you would either need to manually create the thumbnail to display or convert to a jpg, png, or gif.

Brent

fluffy82

Thanks @bhemph that's exactly what I want. But how do you attach media to a place? In the cemetery admin pages there is an "add media" button, but not in the place admin.

I tried to do it the other way around and specify a place within the media admin page, but that doesn't show up in the list. The only mod (as far as I know) that affects this page is Placesearch-More Info, but that doesn't touch the media.

place admin1.PNG

place admin2.PNG

place site.PNG

Ken Roy

If you add the media, when you create the link, there is a Link Type pull down selection to link to place

fluffy82
7 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

If you add the media, when you create the link, there is a Link Type pull down selection to link to place

That's what I use. I just tried with a newly uploaded media file, not linked to anything else but the place, but it doesn't show...

Looking at the placesearch.php, there is a "getMedia" and "getAlbums" that has been modified by the mod I mentioned. But that isn't the problem: with the mod uninstalled, the media still don't show :(

EDIT: I don't have a pull down... I have a search box, and if you enter something in there, you get a clickable list of places in your database. No pull down. But I suppose this it the one you refer to?

XerxX

Hi Fluffy,

Here are some screen-shots that may help you.

When you have added a media file and clicked "Save and continue..." it should look something like this and you have the DropDown:

Skärmavbild 2020-09-15 kl. 12.33.53.png

Select "Place" and click the magnifying glass:

Skärmavbild 2020-09-15 kl. 12.34.21.png

Enter your place and click "Add" when it shows. Close the requester to return to the main page that now looks like this:

Skärmavbild 2020-09-15 kl. 12.34.52.png

And your media list looks like this:

Skärmavbild 2020-09-15 kl. 12.37.22.png

And this is found on the place's page:

Skärmavbild 2020-09-15 kl. 12.44.09.png

EDIT:

I imported this to collection "Photos" as seen in the bottom image. You can of course add to any collection (also define your own) which will be reflected by the heading on the place's page (here: "Photos").

HTH

Erik

fluffy82

Aaaaaaaaaaaah ok, I did it the obvious way, and added the place where it says "add location" with the large map. Quite confusing that this does not create an actual link between both, and you need to use the line just above which standard says "person"... Anyway, learned something new today 😄