TNG Community
aaraujo

Reuse of citations

aaraujo
My wife loves this program! And we've been using it for the past 3-4 years (I think). She is extremely meticulous in all the data that she collects and the research that she performs. I am a programmer myself, and I make small changes here and there to be able to use the program more like she wants to.

An example is the header on the people pages:

[see image 1]

So she can easily navigate back and forth in the generations.

One thing she would really like is:

She wants to be able to "reuse" citations. It's not really the "Copy Last" functionality that already exists... she wants to be able, at any time, to go to, for example, an event, and click on the citations icon, and be able to search for an existing citation and attach that citation to the event. A similar functionality exists within media, where I can pick "Citation" in the dropdown:

[see image 2]

then click on the magnifying glass and get the form:

[see image 3]

I suspect that in doing something like this, the citation would be duplicated (with a new ID), but she wouldn't have to input all of the details of the citation again. It would be even better, in my opinion, if it actually reused the original citation and somehow "linked" that same citation to the other event, but that might cause some other issues down the road, if she were to edit a citation and not realize that it is associated to more than one event.

The reason for this, is that, for example, she finds an article about a given person... that article might contain numerous facts, like what sports/clubs/organizations the person was involved in during their college years. Since it is a single article, if that article spawns multiple facts, she is forced to input the citation multiple times, once for each fact. Potentially, any media that is associated with that citation could be automatically associated to the additional facts... but that might be something along the lines of:

"This citation has media associated with it

[media list]

Do you want to link this media to this fact as well? [Yes] [No]

This might seem somewhat overkill, but her tree has around 1600 people in it already (I believe she's in the 14th century already). It's to the point where a complete fan chart cannot be generated (it just sits there processing until PHP times out, even the php_maxtime, or whatever it's called, set high does no good :) ) I know... crazy... but... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any help would be appreciated... if someone is willing to make a mod to do this... I'm willing to pay, so hit me up!

Tony

1.png

2.png

3.png

theKiwi

None of the images are showing up in this post...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Roger

Rob Severijns

Tony,

We usualy don't charge people for the help we provide.

All the help is free of charge. 

Unfortunately  I'm not able to help you out but I hope somebody else will for I would be interested in the mod too.

Kind regards,

Rob

aaraujo

I understand Rob, but since I've already looked at doing this (not with much success, I might say) I understand how complicated (at least for me) it might be to do. And I have no qualms about giving someone a little something to help them out too.

Thanks,

Tony