TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
manofmull

** SOLVED ** Surname Cloud

manofmull

After I recently upgraded I wanted to give Template 18 a go, so I needed to add the cookie script.

While adding the script, I noticed the next line of code on the template index.php

<?php
include($cms['tngpath'] . "surname_cloud.class.php");

Does this mean that the surname cloud is now part of TNG12? / and can it be viewed by tweaking a setting?

Currently I don't see the cloud but I'm pleased with the look of template 18

https://mullfamilies.co.uk/

Michel KIRSCH

May be it comes from my Mod "add_cloud_of_names_v12.0.2.1"?

Did you use this Mod?
Michel

Ken Roy

Actually the surname_cloud.class.php has been part of TNG for the last 6 years when it was added with Template 12.  I have been using it on my site home page since then

Looks like Template 18 includes a link to that file but then does not appear to use it on the Home

manofmull
1 hour ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

May be it comes from my Mod "add_cloud_of_names_v12.0.2.1"?

Did you use this Mod?
Michel

Michel

If I decide to want the cloud again, I will use your mod.

manofmull
3 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Actually the surname_cloud.class.php has been part of TNG for the last 6 years when it was added with Template 12.  I have been using it on my site home page since then

Looks like Template 18 includes a link to that file but then does not appear to use it on the Home

Ken

Of course! I remember this now. With TNG11 I used the cloud code for template 5

Should I decide to use it again I'll use Michel's mod.

I think template 18 is a "step up" i.e. more modern looking

Michel KIRSCH

For information, the Mod applies on ALL the 18 templates.

Want to change of template? uninstall the Mod, change the template, reinstall the Mod. That's all.

Michel

kappclark

Sorry so late to thread -

Surnames Cloud is at bottom of my Template 12. I just discovered that some surnames do not appear (perhaps because there are so few entries ?)

Is there a way to change the setting so that I show more of the surnames (for example 5 or more entries) .. THX

manofmull

If you're using Michel's mod (as I am), Edit Options and set the number to show: mine is at 50

Michel KIRSCH
56 minutes ago, kappclark said:

perhaps because there are so few entries

Yes original surname cloud displays the 100 first surnames found.

With the 'Add Cloud of Names' Mod you can parametrize your cloud of names.

The Mod uses numbers of surnames to determines the colour.

In your case, the number of surname "lathrop" crushes the others surnames and all the others are of the same color.

In the edit options of the mod you'll find :

- an option to NOT display the Lathrop surname (the others will takes another colors)

- the number of surnames to display

- the color to use by percentage of surnames found.

(You can use the "Easy Edit" button)

Because you use the template12, read carefuly the 'Knowk problems' section of the wikipage (https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Add_Cloud_of_Names)

Michel KIRSCH
1 minute ago, manofmull said:

If you're using Michel's mod

Thanks MOM. You're more quick than I...

Michel

kappclark

Thank you for your advice -- I will look into the MOD ... yes I know about Lathrop dominating the scene, and was surprised, as that name belongs mostly to another tree (which I created with a gedcom downloaded from the Lathrop family/historical association ...

Maybe I can restrict it to a single tree ??

Michel KIRSCH
5 minutes ago, kappclark said:

Maybe I can restrict it to a single tree ??

Yes, sure you can. But don't forget that it is not possible to link two trees to each other.

So you can have two persons who are the same person in two different trees and no link is done between the two

but you can use a link in  note to indicate that this person is the same person in another tree. (it exists a Mod which make linke to another persons

in and out TNG : https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Same_Person_Link

Drake
On 9/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, Ken Roy said:

Ken,

I like the way you have the name cloud on your home page.  I would like to do something similar with mine. I am using template 14.  What code do I need to add?

Michel KIRSCH
3 hours ago, Drake said:

I would like to do something similar with mine. I am using template 14.  What code do I need to add?

Did you try with this Mod?

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Add_Cloud_of_Names

Michel

Drake
59 minutes ago, Drake said:

For some reason , I could not get that Mod to load.  I put it in the Mods directory, and it does not give me the option to install it.  

Okay, I was able to get it to work with this Mod.  Thanks for your help.   Ken's looks different. He must have hand coded his?

Michel KIRSCH
9 minutes ago, Drake said:

Ken's looks different. He must have hand coded his?

Probably...

Ken Roy
17 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Probably...

Yes, I added the surname cloud to my site home page when TNG provided the surname cloud for one of the templates in TNG 10 if I remember correctly.  During beta testing, Darrin agreed to move the surname_cloud.class.php module into the TNG root folder rather than in the template folder where it initially was, so that others could use it.

Jeff Robison developed the surname cloud tooltip mod which Darrin included in TNG 12.