TNG Community

TNG Today not working

DaveA

I recently upgraded to version 12.3 and all worked well. However my web space provider no longer supports php 5.6 for free, so I changed the version to 7.2. Since doing so TNG Today no longer works on my site. Any suggestions for a fix?

Anything older than 7.2 requires payment for extended support and I really don’t want to have to move. Today.php appears to be the only thing not working other than a couple of mods that need to be updated.

Michael,

You might be missing the point as to why hosting companies might charge for obsolete or no longer supported versions of PHP.  5.6. is no longer supported/

TNG 12.3 supports PHP 7.2.  You might need a newer version of the TNG Today mod

Can it be a difference between fresh install and upgrade?

I run PHP7.4 at my localhost and live (the right link in my sig) with fresh install of TNG12.3 for both and I see no trouble.

/Erik

Maybe you have mods that were not upgraded to support PHP 7

Only way to know is to have access to the PHP error logs.  I use Roger Mitchell's mod that I reworked and renamed to Show PHP Error Log

There is a link on the page that documents how to setup your php.ini or these days preferrably the .user.ini file to capture the php errors.

1 hour ago, XerxX said:

I run PHP7.4 at my localhost and live (the right link in my sig) with fresh install of TNG12.3 for both and I see no trouble.

Could be caused by mods that have not fixed fatal errors.  For example, Dave's use of  TNG Today which is not a TNG feature, and is likely a very old mod since I am not seeing it on TNG Wiki for TNG v12

This is the link to the Addon thread.

The thread talks about the problem being that it is still using mysql instead of mysqli commands.  So since those were deprecated in PHP 5.5 and removed in PHP 7.0, that is why it would be broken in newer versions of PHP.

Brent,

The link you provided shows that a version works for TNG 11 unless the developer did not follow the upgrading mods for TNG 10.1 recommendations to change everything the MySQLi or call the TNG Sql functions.

Ken,
     I downloaded the 2.6a zip from the developer's site and it does not have the TNG 10.1 recommendations implemented.  So it is likely that they had PHP 5.4, 5.5, or 5.6 installed and running TNG 11.  I am seeing some other functions that were deprecated in PHP 5.4 as well.

Thanks Brent,

That looks like it is a 14 year-old mod that is not being supported.  No wonder I did not find it on the TNG Wiki. 

TNG 12.3 will not work on PHP 5.4 environment.  Hosting services are starting to charged for using back level PHP environments that are not supported since it puts them at risk.

17 hours ago, XerxX said:

Ditto my local and remote (ICDSoft)...no issues with TNG 12.3 and PHP 7.4.   If  PHP 7.1 is breaking your site, it's not an 'out of the box' TNG issue; I would suspect a mod perhaps.

My site IS running 12.3 and php 7.2 with no problems. It is the TNG today mod that I’m having issues with. A number of my users really like the “on this day” aspect to this mod. Has anybody out there upgraded this mod to work on php versions 7.0 and above? I hate to have to remove it entirely.

11 hours ago, DaveA said:

Has anybody out there upgraded this mod to work on php versions 7.0 and above?

Dave,
      I don't use the script, but I have attached an updated set of files here that should be a fully functional update of the files.  I don't know if the Lazarus Guestbook section works though, not having that set up.  Since Lazarus Guestbook is also broken on PHP versions 7.0 and above due to not having received similar updates though, I am not sure how useful that section may still be.

Brent

tngToday2.6a1.zip

21 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Michel, the link was given indirectly earlier in this thread which contans the files.  

TNGToday2.16.zip

tngToday2.2b.zip

tngToday2.6a.zip

Is not a Mod... Many works to makes it so user's friendly as a Mod.

And I find that calendar of TNG does the job...
Michel