TNG Community

Branch Related Data

Paul Barrett

Paul Barrett

How can I identify all the data related to a branch so that I can delete it, please?  Deleting the branch deletes the branch but leaves all the data intact, but branchless. 

Use case:

The Family History Society I volunteer for allows a member to submit a 5 generation ancestor GEDCOM file. If they leave, we need to be able to delete their data.

Current thinking (which may be wrong thinking!) is to assign each member a branch in a single tree.  

Would it be better to assign each member a separate tree instead?  Would that allow me to delete all the content in one go?

Thanks for listening

Rob Severijns

Paul,

I'm not sure but I think deleting a tree in TNG will have the same effect as deleting a branch in TNG.

You could try that out by making a GEDCOM  and delete a tree. See what happens. If something goes wrong you can always reload the GEDCOM you have as a backup.

With the above in mind I guess phpMyAdmin is the way to go. From the Table Tng_People select all the members of a certain branch and delete those records.

That should do the trick.

Since my knowledge of Sql is not that great I hope someone else can provide the query to use for deleting a certain branch. 

Maybe your ISP can help you with the query too. 

Needless to say that whatever your choice will be, you need to have a backup/ GEDCOM available to restore your data if anything goes wrong.

Rob 

Rob and Paul.

1 hour ago, Rob Severijns said:

I guess phpMyAdmin is the way to go.

NO! Please don't try this route. There are too many dependancies between the tables.

A tree is deleted in Admin >> Trees.

Clickning the red delete button will erase the tree and all connected data completely. I know this because I make test-trees from Gedcoms and then I delete them.

But I don't think the corresponding action for Branches deletes all data connected to that branch.

/Erik

Rob Severijns

Erik,

Thanks for your reply and warning.

Always good to have someone correct an advise if it's not the best advise given.

I did find a Mod though that apperently is able to delete people and families in a branch.

image.png

It's called Admin Branches and can be found at https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Admin_Branches

Never used this mod myself but depending on your TNG version this might be a solution too.

Rob

Michel KIRSCH
14 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Would it be better to assign each member a separate tree instead?  Would that allow me to delete all the content in one go?

Yes Paul,

in your case, this is the best solution.

There certainly no relationships between your user's trees, so each user his tree is the best solution for maintenance reasons.

If a user leave, simply delete his tree.

Michel

18 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Yes. I have done similar for the Western Michigan Genealogical Society and have 707 trees on the site

http://trees.wmgs.org/trees.php

Roger

Paul Barrett

Thanks everyone, particularly Roger because knowing that someone has been there, done that is ALWAYS helpful.

Independently I had just concluded that separate Trees was the way to go because you have an option that is not present for branches - the ability to clear all the data for that tree

Snag_838c0f4.png

Rob, I guess that's doing natively for Trees what that mod you found does for Branches.  But I think I'll stick with native functionality and keep it real simple.

I am now pondering a related challenge, and it may be that going the Tree route instead of branches may help here too.

The issue is I have GEDCOMs coming from many members, sourced from any number of programs.  Those files will have data IDs that may coincide with those of other members but are unrelated.  So when we import a GEDCOM we are faced with these choices:

Snag_83e7efc.png

I assume from the title of that section that the actions are limited to a tree and do not affect other trees?  However, if different GEDCOMs are sent to different Branches in the same tree, the potential for inadvertent overwriting of data with unrelated information is high. 

Is that a correct assumption?  If so it further supports the decision to do this at tree level

Michel KIRSCH

PAul,

trees and branches are fundamentally different.

You can import à tree (one member = one tree). When the tree is imported you  can divide it into different branches.
Making a branch in a tree is just mark an individual (or a family) as part of this branch.

If you delete the branch, the individual (or family) are just unmarked, but the data stays unchanged.

This implies that :

- you can import a tree

-you can delete a tree (and all the data (persons and families) of the tree

- You can not import a branch in a tree. Just import new  data in the tree and then mark this data as new branch

When updating a tree with new and/or updated data :
if the new tree is complete : you can  choose "All current data"

if the new tree have new  and updated data : choose "Matching records only" (this is the usual option for update)
If some data makes part of a branch, it will be updated and the relation with the branch is not modified
Hope this help.

Michel

14 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Is trees.php a custom page?  Because it sure looks useful for the use case we both have. :)

Yes - it just queries the tree table to get the number of people in the tree, and the treeID and name

Roger

Paul Barrett
5 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Yes - it just queries the tree table to get the number of people in the tree, and the treeID and name

Roger

Any chance I could beg a copy from you please, Roger? Pretty please? 😃

Paul Barrett
On 8/15/2020 at 1:41 PM, theKiwi said:

Yes. I have done similar for the Western Michigan Genealogical Society and have 707 trees on the site

http://trees.wmgs.org/trees.php

Roger

Sorry, another question.  You have 707 trees containing 236K individuals.  What does that convert to in terms of disk space, please?  

Michel KIRSCH

For me, without pictures,... (only data) : 20 -25 giga
Number of trees have no incidence
Michel

Another thing to keep in mind about branches and trees.

• A record for an individual may be assigned to only one tree.
  • A record for an individual may be assigned to numerous branches within a tree. 

This makes using branches to manage and remove separate unrelated groups of people from the database (even with a mod to assist) much more complex and potentially harmful.

9 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Sorry, another question.  You have 707 trees containing 236K individuals.  What does that convert to in terms of disk space, please?  

It is about 190MB - the data is very bare mostly just birth, marriage, death, and burial. There are no long comprehensive notes in most of it.

Roger

Michel KIRSCH

Waw. My calculation was based on 15K individuals, but with links to childrens, notes, links to media,.. All but the media..
Michel

Paul Barrett
10 hours ago, theKiwi said:

It is about 190MB - the data is very bare mostly just birth, marriage, death, and burial. There are no long comprehensive notes in most of it.

Roger

That's very efficient use of disk space then.  Good.  Thanks