TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
TNG_Mike

Give admin status uniquely to those users with role Administrator

TNG_Mike

I've tried to enhance privacy by adding mods and by (considering) making mods described in your Protecting Access Log wiki article. Neither can be used because the majority of user roles have a limited admin status. I would like close relatives to be able to add and suggest modifications to my data, giving them a "Custom" user role. Their page access (template 12 info drop down menu) includes Admininistration (though as far as I can tell they then have no access to any of the administrator pages) and Access Log (which I would like to keep private and available only for the true Administrator, i.e., me). They also no longer have the convient menu option of "Contact Us". I tried to use a Hide Branches mod but it didn't seem to be working. Roy informed me, and now I see on the user roles in their setup screen that only Guest and Submitter roles "have no access to Admin area", so in my case, I cannot use the mod. Alternatively, I suppose, mod writers could be encouraged to include an option to true Administrators only, though I don't know how difficult or feasible this would be. (If the latter is the preferred solution, it would be helpful if wiki articles like Protecting Access Log would include code to execute for true Administrators, also.) I'd rather that users (other than me, the Administrator) not be able see other users' search history.

So as not to seem unappreciative: TNG is a solution I've been looking for for years, being a longtime Rootsweb WorldConnect user, but not happy with the alternatives offered today. But needing to get my tree/database back online to help me share and collaborate with other genealogy researchers. The installation assistance through the readme file, and the support you make available through direct e-mail, readme, wiki, and forums is really impressive, and the display of information is very nice.