TNG Community

Help w/ Phone-checking OSMmod Needed

XerxX

Hello All,

Today I found that none of the OSMmaps on my TNG v12.3 site are displayed on a Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus GT S-7580 phone (screen size 480x800 px).

However, a Samsung Galaxy S10 (1440 x 3040 px?) shows the maps.

BUT! The OSMmaps on my TNG v11.1.2 site are displayed on the smaller phone! This confuses me.

Now, either there is something wrong with the smaller phone (something broken? Too small a memory?) or with the OSMmod v12.3.0.6a. Or, for some reason the 12.3 maps (all?) are too heavy for the little one? Or something else...

So I ask the community OSM-mod users for help.

Please: If you have or can test a phone that's smaller than the S10, first and foremost check the OSMmaps on your site to be sure they work okay.

And if you don't mind; also check the starting page on my "Local community research" site, to the right in my sig. (This is not an attempt to get visitors so I don't show the link here as the post will then show up on search engines) The map there is rather heavy, 53 places and lots of data collected, and will take a few seconds to load. The message says "This site is not adapted for small phones. Please use at least a tablet/iPad." If the map loads, the text is covered but otherwise it will stay and the visitor hopefully understands what's (not) happening.

The site is Swedish only but Google translates it on the fly rather good, actually.

Please report your findings here.

Thank You In Advance!

Erik

PS. Maybe some of you don't care about the "mobile mode" but I do, because I think it's a good thing to use to get young people interested in genealogy.

They will soon discover that they need a bigger screen - if they don't have an S-10 😄

Hi Eric,

I don't know the S10, but I have the S7 Edge, and your heat map displays fine in mobile mode for me.  However, it didn't auto-translate. (Correction: a popup below gave my the 'English' option in 'standard' mode.  However, a bit tricky seeing the rest of the page, finding the right scroll bar, otherwise one stays within the map, or accidentally ends up on the prior browser page.  This was in Chrome browser.

Ron

Hi Ron and thanks.

You refer to my heat map... Do you mean the OSM heatmaps on your site or mine? If mine: Did you look at the map on the Home page?

If that's the one you mean, the screen of your phone is 1440 x 2560 pix and in theory you should have the 4-column layout with good margins. Here's a desk-top screenshot with a 1440 wide browser (sitever=mobile):

1440pix.gif

This is not what you saw?

The layout/number of columns is changing with the width of the screen so the small 480 px phone has only one column, the map is as wide as the column and the list is below it. Like this:

480px.gif

Hopefully there will be more reports.

Happy Monday, all!

Erik

Hi Erik,

Looks like not many forum folks care about TNG phone behavior.  Yes, it was your site I tested.  In Chrome and FireFox with sitever=mobile, in vertical, it appeared on my S7 Edge like your second snapshot 1 column  and in horizontal,  2 columns appeared.  With sitever=standard, then appeared on mobile phone in 3 columns, but not 4.  I only get 4 columns like your first snapshot on my Windows PC (1600x900).  The S7 resolution is, as you noted, 1440x2560.   On phone, I did get an initial message appeared briefly that said 'this screen is not designed for small phones'.

I tested on my wife's apple 5S which is low resolution 1136x640.  In vertical and horizontal, just 1 column display, no multiple columns possible. With sitever=mobile, get a 3 column display like the S7.  Got warning of small phone also. 

What happens on your S10 (wish I had one) when you choose the lower resolution 1520x720, (or maybe not an option)?

Ron

Thank You Very Much, Ron!

The warning is there always. My thinking is that if no map appears, people understand they have a too small phone. If the map appears they get a bit confused but carry on. As long as I don't understand what's wrong there's no way to customize the message...

No; it's not my S10 and he never mentioned the lower resolution but pointed out it is a "plain" S10 - no other digits or letters. I'm the owner of the small one... As I've tested my XerxX site using that phone I thought it was cool on the new site too. But the other day I thought I'd have a look just for fun. No fun :-(

As you say: Not many people seems to care about TNG and phones, as I guessed in the original post. I think it's a pity as we should really encourage young people to do genealogy and one way can be to make nice phone interfaces as they are used to do almost everything by the phone.

(Sidenote: I think it's quite "funny" that when I started using computers, in the '80s, the resolution was like 640 x 480 and it grew and grew and you could display more and more things and - BAM! - now we have to design for 320px screens. Development?)

TNG + OSM users: Please check at least your own site. It may be worth it.

Thanks Ron and have a nice day.

Erik

david_balbeag

Hi Erik (&Ron),

There is no need to reply to this message just thought Id provide extra information.

I have accessed both of your sites, Erik, on laptop before and use Linux Mint and DuckDuck Go. no problems at all. I have also tried to access both sites on mobile phone, Motorola G5, about 3 years old, 1080 x 1920, and no problems again using DuckDuck Go.  On Botebyden se, albeit in Swedish - no translation, it appears on mobile screen as the second smaller version. but I can scroll down and access the various sections including maps and heat maps with no problem. Entered into individual/ family information and all OK. I also actioned your Xerxx se site on mobile and can access information as required. I am not a signed in member of either of your websites but all worked perfectly. I use mobile access to my own family website and find it very useful. I even found your anti bot mod telling me I was hitting return button too fast and to slow down a good reminder in life!!!

Thanks for all the work you do, including Ron in answering queries, and very pleased that you have recovered from you illness albeit you seem to have thrown yourself full pelt into Tng forums. Look forward to using you mods in next version of TNG v13 which I assume you are awaiting.

Take care and again no need to reply just extra information.

Regards

David