TNG Community

Search engine modification

Korycki

Rob Severijns

Hi,

I guess it should be possible but I don't think it can be done from within TNG.

I don't even think it is something that is required frequently by TNG users.

Maybe your ISP can help you with your specific needs.

Kind regards,

Rob

For my users, this is very important because the information they are looking for is spread over several pages and none of the search engines can find all.

If data for a given name is entered in subdomain 'a', the user will not find it if they search on another in the subdomain (b).

Rob Severijns

Korychi,

By 3 different databases you mean 3 different trees?

If so, why not place 3 trees in one database. That way the searchengine can check multiple trees when searching.

Rob

I can't put everything on one database, because I don't have 3, but several thousand trees. The database works up to a million records. It hangs later.

Rob Severijns

Korychi,

Well that's an aweful lot of records and trees.

I don't think you will find a solution here.

At least not if the only information is the information given so far.

Like I said I don't think it is possible from within TNG.

I guess you will need some kind of a SQL/Python programmer to query your databases and come up with a solution.

Rob

280/5000

I think, that you are wrong. There is already a search engine on my site that searches in many databases. One programmer has already done it. The problem is that it's not as good as the original one. I would like the one who is in TNG to look in many databases.

Chris Lloyd

You may need to do the same again - get a programmer to code it for you

Rob Severijns

Korycki,

To me it also seems that three genalogical databases with thousands of trees and millions of records isn't realy a "simple" family tree anymore.

Why didn't you tell us before and  that you already had a programmer who build you a searchengine?

The assumption so far was that you meant the build in TNG searchengine. Like I said before:

I don't think you will find a solution here.

At least not if the only information is the information given so far.

So you either provide all the relavant information or you will simply get no or the wrong answers.

If you can't provide the code your previous programmer wrote and/or any other relavent information we won't be able to help you.

in that case do like Chris and I said befor:

I guess you will need some kind of a SQL/Python programmer to query your databases and come up with a solution

You may need to do the same again - get a programmer to code it for you

Kind regards and good luck,

Rob

Thank you for your commitment.
Perhaps the problem is my very limited English.
Two or three years ago the programmer made me a new search engine that searches in any number of databases. Just add a new database to the "servers.json" file. She is looking very well.
The problem is that it is not a modified original TNG search engine, but a brand new one. It visually differs from the appearance of the page and does not have many valuable features of the original TNG search engine. In his results he gives only basic answers.
I don't know IT and programming. I only support the site and programs. Everything is fine as long as the programs work well.
Please forgive my ignorance.
I think that we need to compile the original TNG search engine with the new one. Some features of the new search engine add to the original TNG search engine.
I can't ask my former programmer for help because he is busy with commercial ventures and my part is a social, non-commercial task. I can't pay him for that.

Rob Severijns

Korycki,

Being from the Netherlands, English is not my native language either and looking at your last message I can say that your English is more than sufficient to express yourself.

So don't be affraid to use it 😉

Regarding your request I am, unforunately, unable to help you any further for I'm not a programmer either.

There are many smart people here on this forum and hopefully one of them sees this as a challenge and is able to help you in resolving your request. 

Kind regards,

Rob

Thanks. May it happen.

My English is supported by Google translator.

I am only checking to the best of my ability whether or not to translate, or it makes no sense. :)