TNG Community
Stefanhag

SOLVED: Removing people from database

Stefanhag

Hey,

I'm buildning my tree on a local program I have on my computer and then use gedcom-import when updating the database on my host were I run TNG12.

Now I have found I've done a mistake and have to remove about 400 people and I removed them from the database I have on my computer.

If I import a new gedcom and select to replace all data, will those people get removed from my database online or do I have to choose another merthod? If so, how do I do that without having to delete the people one by one?

-Stefan

manofmull

Stefan

I don't use gedcoms myself (all manual) but the "replace all" should work for you.

If you want to remove everyone, go to Admin/Trees/Action and click on the third "clear" button.

This will remove everyone from your Tree but keep the Tree intact for a new import.

Stefanhag
3 hours ago, manofmull said:

Stefan

I don't use gedcoms myself (all manual) but the "replace all" should work for you.

If you want to remove everyone, go to Admin/Trees/Action and click on the third "clear" button.

This will remove everyone from your Tree but keep the Tree intact for a new import.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  

The "clear" option sounds like a good choice if it keep the tree intact. 

-Stefan

Ken Roy

You should not have to Clear your tree if you Import with the Replace All Data option. 

See the TNG Wiki article that I wrote on Import Data several years ago.

Stefanhag

Thank you, Ken.

That was an interresting article. I still have a lot to learn.

-Stefan

tngrlkrz
On 6/21/2020 at 7:28 AM, Ken Roy said:

See the TNG Wiki article that I wrote on Import Data several years ago.

Hi Ken,

Thanks to a suggestion you made to me some time ago, I no longer clear my tree before gedcom import, but rather use the 'replace all data' option.   I do have a question from your Wiki article (so much good information on the Wiki,---just need to find it).  You state:

"If you have assigned Branch labels, you must Relabel Branches after a Data Import. Note that if new people were added to an existing branch, they will not be labeled by the Relabel Branches process but will need to be labeled manually."

I have been simply clicking 'relabel branches'.  If I have added people to various branches, can't I just go into the branch and 'clear labels' and recreate them to add those new folks? Is that what you mean by 'labeled manually'? Or am I misunderstanding the process?  I may have overlooked an aspect of branches.

Ken Roy

Hi Ron,

I guess it sort of depends on how you use branches.  i only create mine using a grandparent or great-grandparent to allow access to people marked as Living or Private (deceased less than N years)  In other words I only label down from a given person in the tree and never back to their ancestors, since my branches only grant access to View Living and View Private privilege.  I do not allow others to Edit.

Your approach of going back to the branches, clearing the label for that branch and relabeling will certainly work.

Other approach if you only added one or two people, is to edit the person you added and manually add the branch label or multiple branch labels in the edit person dialog.

tngrlkrz

Thanks for the clarification, Ken.  I had forgotten to update the labels for added people. I create a couple branches, one for my side and another for my wife's side, ancestors only, so a 'direct ancestor' branch useful in a variety of pages. It also ties in with the Sosa assignment when set to either side.  Then also another couple branches which are all ancestors up and all descendants down from both sides as well, and these give the benefits of having two trees but only a single tree defined.  It serves my purpose this way.  All living & private privileges still apply to all branches.

Ken Roy

Ron,

We all uses branches differently.  I use them to restrict access to View living and View Private only.   My Roy family tree ends up being a large tree even though my original ancestor from France only had one son.  That son however had 19 children (10 with his first wife, 6 with his second wife, and 3 with his third wife), 18 of which have descendants to current day.   Since I compiled a Roy Reunion genealogy book back in 1994, I do not necessary want to grant access to all living and private people to all users.

So my children and their cousins can see my side and my wife's side, I also created a branch that I use to give access from both of our grandparents.  You just have to use the Branch Labeling twice with 2 different starting individuals.  Only the last labeling set shows in the branch label statistics though.

tngrlkrz

Ken,

19 children.....Sigh..I have had plenty (still ongoing) challenges with a only 2 boys.  How your ancestor handled that is beyond scope of my imagination.  You indicate a 'genealogy book', is that a hard copy for your reunions?  If so, what software or process do you use to produce that?

Ken Roy

Ron,

The 19 children were in the late 1600s - early 1700s

In 1994, I used GenBook to produced the reunion book.  It would read the PAF 2.3 database directly and generate WordPerfect output that indexed everyone in the book.  It also indexed married women both with their maiden name and married name.   I wish I had purchased the next version which read a GEDCOM file, since I have never found any software that worked the same way.   By the time I tried to acquire the version that read a GEDCOM file, the author was no longer answering emails.