TNG Community
garybakker

Replacing "His/Her" links with "My Ancestor/My Family/My Page" links? (template 13)

garybakker
I would like to replace the links to his and her sides of the family tree with personalized links based on who is logged in. It appears that this mod has been done previously.

Question: It has been a long time since I set up my site and I have done virtually nothing to it since setup. I would like to make this modification, but am at a loss as to how to accomplish it. Can someone help me with how to make this change? Please provide a step-by-step approach if you have the patience.

This mod:

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/My_User_Links_Add-on

This thread:

My site:

My server (if it matters):
I am using SimplyHosting.

Thank you,
Gary

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 2.01.58 PM.png

Ken Roy

Gary,

Are you not using the Admin > Setup > Template Settings dialog to enter the information you want on your Home page?

garybakker

Ken,

Thanks for your response. Yes I attempted to make the change via the Template Settings dialog, but it is pre-defined as "his/her" links (or "mother/father" if you prefer). I cannot change that. Based on my reading of posts in the forum I believe it is possible to change those "his/her" links to "My Ancestors" and "My Family" and "My Page" links. 

The Template Settings page as it appears to me is attached.

Gary

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 6.41.10 PM.png

Ken Roy
6 hours ago, garybakker said:

I would like to replace the links to his and her sides of the family tree with personalized links based on who is logged in.

Sorry, I read your question too quickly and missed that you want to dynamically assigned different links based on who is logged in. 

Sorry, I am not familiar with any of the mods you mentioned.

garybakker

I'm the original poster. I'm Bumping this thread one time to see if recency might generate a response that will point me to where I can learn how to accomplish my goal.

edglimited
On 6/27/2020 at 2:26 AM, garybakker said:

I'm the original poster. I'm Bumping this thread one time to see if recency might generate a response that will point me to where I can learn how to accomplish my goal.

I dont think you can assign different links based on who is logged in. I know you can assign trees to specific people, so they can view and those trees are not viewable to others and vice versa.
The only work around (I can see possible) would be multiple sites, of your site, where you could achieve what you want. But it would be a headache to setup and monitor.

garybakker
16 hours ago, edglimited said:

I dont think you can assign different links based on who is logged in. I know you can assign trees to specific people, so they can view and those trees are not viewable to others and vice versa.
The only work around (I can see possible) would be multiple sites, of your site, where you could achieve what you want. But it would be a headache to setup and monitor.

Except these links not only say it is possible, but that it has already been done. I'm simply trying to implement this mod.

This mod:

This thread:

manofmull

I use the template 13 his/her sides as an exended banner message by changing the text.

To get personalised links, there is code in the wiki that you can add to your template index.php

I tweaked it a tad to get the look in the image below. Registered users can log in from any of the three homepage links "My Page" etc. and it takes them to their own page or family. This might work for you, not sure.

Image1.jpg

edglimited
7 hours ago, garybakker said:

Except these links not only say it is possible, but that it has already been done. I'm simply trying to implement this mod.

This mod:

This thread:

Now I get what you mean. It's basically a personal page for a specific user. I cant really see the advantage to the site, to be honest. Just my thoughts. Maybe Im missing something.

garybakker
3 hours ago, manofmull said:

I use the template 13 his/her sides as an exended banner message by changing the text.

To get personalised links, there is code in the wiki that you can add to your template index.php

I tweaked it a tad to get the look in the image below. Registered users can log in from any of the three homepage links "My Page" etc. and it takes them to their own page or family. This might work for you, not sure.

Image1.jpg

Thanks. I appreciate the response!

Gary

garybakker
1 hour ago, edglimited said:

Now I get what you mean. It's basically a personal page for a specific user. I cant really see the advantage to the site, to be honest. Just my thoughts. Maybe Im missing something.

I believe the way it can work is this: a registered user logs in, and sees the main page as normal. But the links at the top will show them their ancestor fan chart with them at the center (rather than navigating from the owner's mother and father fan charts).

Gary

edglimited
9 minutes ago, garybakker said:

I believe the way it can work is this: a registered user logs in, and sees the main page as normal. But the links at the top will show them their ancestor fan chart with them at the center (rather than navigating from the owner's mother and father fan charts).

Gary

I can visualise it, as I have something similar when I log in, except I dont see a fan chart, I get an ancestor breakdown for two of my relatives. (Thats the same view for all family members, who login). The difference is, (once logged in) they are assigned to different family trees, seems not all are interested in their cousins or kinfolk. They be a fuedin and a fussin.

I would love too see a working version (or screencaps) for different logged in users, once you get it up and running. Maybe a dropdown menu would work better, perhaps. (after login). Then if you click on a section of the dropdown, it can then say, you are entitled to view or not registered. Keep us posted. Sounds interesting.