TNG Community
MarilynTO

Alternate name spellings

MarilynTO

I am entering records manually (ie not GEDCON). I have many family members who have multiple spellings of their surnames through the generations (eg DUON/DEON/DEYOUNG, LITCH/LEITCH/LIETCH).

Is there some way that I enter these so that someone searching the site could use any one of them and land on them? ie Wallace Duon is sometimes known as Wallace Deyoung. What/where do I enter so that no matter which name is put in the Search field, his record comes back?

Michel KIRSCH

...with using the soundex of the name.

BUT ! You must be sure that the soundex of each spellings is the same.

I have the same problem and will to write a mod to solve this "problem"...

Can you work in a database directly using PHPMyAdmin?

Michel

theKiwi
7 hours ago, MarilynTO said:

I am entering records manually (ie not GEDCON). I have many family members who have multiple spellings of their surnames through the generations (eg DUON/DEON/DEYOUNG, LITCH/LEITCH/LIETCH).

Is there some way that I enter these so that someone searching the site could use any one of them and land on them? ie Wallace Duon is sometimes known as Wallace Deyoung. What/where do I enter so that no matter which name is put in the Search field, his record comes back?

I enter the surnames as for example

Moffat or Moffet or Moffitt

Doesn't necessarily look that good, but it ensures that they can be found no matter how someone searches for it.

Roger

Rob Roy

I maintain the Delvee Family database.  There are seven currently known spellings of the last name.  My solution is to use the spelling on the gravestone, or a document written by the parson.  If none of those exist, then Birth record followed by marriage record.  If all else fails I use the fathers spelling.

For searches I often use first name and “del’. Since I’m using contains I get the person, or only a few which can easily be found.

Rob Severijns

Marilyn,

I use the same method Rob Roy does except for the fact that I use the surname on the birthcertificate then mariage and last deathcertificate. If none exist I use the fathers name.

As you can see there are "many roads that lead to Rome". Just pick one that suits you best.

Kind regards,

Rob

Rob Roy

The reason I prefer gravestone over birth records is that that often the New England Town Clerk wrote what he heard, not was the name actually was.  Generally, the gravestone records what everyone thought his last name was.   For years I tried to track down Hannah Moss from her marriage record.  When they registered their marriage, the told the town clerk their names.  Her's was Hannah Morse.  New Englanders rarely pronounce the r. so the clerk wrote Moss.

MarilynTO

What about the Custom Event Tag ALIA (Also Known As)? If I use that and enter names, will it get picked up in a search?

MarilynTO
On 6/12/2020 at 6:34 AM, Michel KIRSCH said:

...with using the soundex of the name.

BUT ! You must be sure that the soundex of each spellings is the same.

I have the same problem and will to write a mod to solve this "problem"...

Can you work in a database directly using PHPMyAdmin?

Michel

I tested the Soundex and its not pulling in a number of the names I need. I'm not proficient enough to work in a database. As Rob says...there appears to be no easy answer. I may go with the advice offered by TheKiwi.

Michel KIRSCH

I'll write the mod...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, MarilynTO said:

What about the Custom Event Tag ALIA (Also Known As)? If I use that and enter names, will it get picked up in a search?

Why not. But for every spelling and every person, you must enter the same alias...

And searching by aliases is not so evident for your users... (Advanced search/deploy Others events/ then search by Nick Name...)

Michel KIRSCH

Try with PHPMyAdmin:

UPDATE tng_people SET metaphone = 'Youchoice' WHERE lastname = 'your_last_name'

with Youchoice = a representative suit of letters which doen't exists yet in your database as metaphone (ex 'DUON')

your_last_name : all your concerned lastname ONE by ONE ( DUON/DEON/DEYOUNG, LITCH/LEITCH/LIETCH).

So : UPDATE tng_people SET metaphone = 'DUON' WHERE lastname = 'DUON'

then : UPDATE tng_people SET metaphone = 'DUON' WHERE lastname = 'DEYOUNG'

etc...

When finished, search by metaphone and all your lastname wiil show...

Michel

manofmull

To all in this thread.

I cottoned on this problem from my first days of having a website.

One old Scot's name MCGILVRAY, has at least a dozen variants.

The answer for me was to standardise all surnames. However, in order to keep some members happy, I add variants in brackets/parenthesis so that all variants get the standard spelling first: e.g. MCGILVRAY (MCGILLIVRAY) etc..

As Roger pointed out above, doing it this way, the search will pick up any spelling.

It's good practice to search using only part of the name, in this case "MCGIL" and it will pick them all up.

Ken Roy

Alternate spellings is one thing, alternate names is something else.  My Roy family line includes Roy, Desjardins, Voisine, and Lauzier names not to mention those who anglicized Roy to King and Desjardins to Gardner and the various spellings.

I chose to enter the names as I found them in the parish records and did use Also Known As fields.  My theory is that if a Voisine family member wants to find relatives, they are not searching for Roy.  I did try to keep the same name for the family, but then there are families whose father is Voisine and some of the children are Roy

So one has to chose an option that works for them. 

Rob Roy

Like Ken, my Roys also get confusing.  The first was Simeon LeRoy dit Audly.  His son Jean, changed to Roy, several other children changed to Laraway.  I generally use what they called themselves as I best can determine.