TNG Community
BobH

SOLVED-Exported Gedcom Upload Failing or Rejected by Ancestry

BobH

I am out of ideas and asking for help or guidance.

I have been using tng for some time now and have not made any changes to configuration other than normal upgrades from 11 to 12 and so forth.  I have also successfully been able to export a gedcom to add to Ancestry and regularly deleted that on Ancestry and replace it with an updated version.

As usual, I deleted the gedcom on Ancestry on Monday and went to upload the new version and was greeted with a warning that the "Upload had failed, please try again"  This happened repeatedly.  I moved to another PC and met the same failure.  Cache and Cookies blown out etc. etc. etc. as they Ancestry Help desk always insists.  I engaged their support, and they were able to restore an old version of my Ancestry info...no issue.  When I asked if I could Email my Gedcom file so they would try, to my surprise they were willing....It failed to work for them as well.  

I believe I have ruled out PC, Browser, Cookies etc. since I tried and failed from multiple PC's and even Internet providers changed.  What is now suspect is the actual .ged file itself.  How can I determine if I have a corrupt or malformed...defective etc. gedcom file?  I did download a FREE copy of RootsMagic and it loaded up the Gedcom file just fine....  I am a lost ball in high weeds!!!

Chris Lloyd

Sounds like the issue is with Ancestry reading the gedcom. Do a comparison between  a TNG generated gedcom and an Ancestry one. May indicate fields that cause the issue.

BobH
31 minutes ago, Chris Lloyd said:

Sounds like the issue is with Ancestry reading the gedcom. Do a comparison between  a TNG generated gedcom and an Ancestry one. May indicate fields that cause the issue.

Is there a recommended program or method to do such a comparison?  I used a Freeware program "Gedcom Validator" in it found some 1700 issues with my tng generated gedcom.  Problem is this is all new territory for me, Gedcoms always just WORKED...and suddenly do not.  I did convert my website from http to https but makes no sense for that to be a factor.

Was hoping someone with skills and time could look at my .ged file and tell me for sure if I have a Game Stopper problem or if it is Ancestry.  Happy to attach if someone can help.

P.S.   I did get a very old gedcom file to upload to them, but it was so old I deleted it.  Likely was created PRE 12.3    maybe  12.1

Chris Lloyd

I use winmerge - https://winmerge.org/?lang=en

If you dont use a PC then there are online equivalents.

Michel KIRSCH

Can we see your gedcom?

May be the problem is in the heading or in the end_of_file.

Michel

BobH

Gladly...and Thanks for the Help!  Once I know what I am looking for, the "Stare and Compare" tool will surely help.

hassellbreaux.ged

Michel KIRSCH

This is your file, cutted in files of 2000 records. (cutted with the gedcom_cutter.php program here under)

Try to export them into Ancestry and see which part gives the problem...

For me everything seems to be OK with the original file...

Michel

hassellbreaux-007.ged

hassellbreaux-001.ged

hassellbreaux-002.ged

hassellbreaux-003.ged

hassellbreaux-004.ged

hassellbreaux-005.ged

hassellbreaux-006.ged

gedcom_cutter.php

BobH

Will do....I was checking with GEDCOM Validator and found a ton of issues that MAY be related to me removing a MOD. 

Same Person Link...I do not need it any longer since I combined the 2 files that existed prior.   I beleive I need to either reinstall it or do some cleanup to resolve links that no longer exist.

BobH

The problem is in the first file...all others upload just fine.

I THINK the issue was caused by me deleting the MOD SamePersonLink and not cleaning up my records.  Do you know what the best and safest way to clear this up might be?  Sorry to be such a noob, but do not want to risk any further record damage.

Thanks!!!   you have helped me to at least gain ground.

Ken Roy
2 hours ago, BobH said:

THINK the issue was caused by me deleting the MOD SamePersonLink and not cleaning up my records

What makes you think  the Same Person Link mod was involved.  It creates a separate table in the database which does not get exported

BobH

Thanks Ken,

Was just a thought....I am really clueless as to what the problem is.....I re-installed MOD and same problem persists.

All I know at this point is that "SPLIT" Gedcom file failed to load segment 1...2-7 loaded just fine.

Still need help to determine what happened, and if I caused, can it be fixed and if so how?

Bob

https://www.hasbrogen.com

Ken Roy

Most likely the problem is with the GEDCOM file.   Splitting it in pieces is not going to resolve the issue. 

I do not use Ancestry, so the real question is whether TNG generated GEDCOM files are acceptable as import into Ancestry

BobH
8 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Most likely the problem is with the GEDCOM file.   Splitting it in pieces is not going to resolve the issue. 

I do not use Ancestry, so the real question is whether TNG generated GEDCOM files are acceptable as import into Ancestry

to be clear...I have used TNG now to upload a Gedcom to ancestry many times in the past....worked just fine until this week.

Michael Kirsh "SPLIT" the file (I Assume) to help minimize the amount of data that needed to be scrutinized for potential errors.

Hoping to hear back from Michael for more help.

Thanks....and I had no intent to point the problem at your MOD...Only that I had recently removed it.

Michel KIRSCH

Hi Bob,

the fist part is now splited into 8 files of 250 records.

If one of them causes problems, you can cut-it youself with the program that I sent you.

if hasselbreaux_001_002.ged causes the problem, cut_it in 5-6 parts...

(program must run in you gedcom directory with http://your_localhost/your_genealogy_site/gedcom/gedcom_cutter.php choose 50 records and Cut-it!)

hassellbreaux-001-001.ged

hassellbreaux-001-002.ged

hassellbreaux-001-003.ged

hassellbreaux-001-004.ged

hassellbreaux-001-005.ged

hassellbreaux-001-006.ged

hassellbreaux-001-007.ged

hassellbreaux-001-008.ged

Michel KIRSCH

The problem doesn't comes from header or end_of_file, because they are repeated in each file...

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, BobH said:

I have used TNG now to upload a Gedcom to ancestry many times in the past....worked just fine until this week.

Well Ancestry is always making changes, so they may have changed something that broke the import, like they changed something that now causes the Census Plus International mod to no longer be able import the DOM source file they generate

BobH
29 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Hi Bob,

the fist part is now splited into 8 files of 250 records.

If one of them causes problems, you can cut-it youself with the program that I sent you.

if hasselbreaux_001_002.ged causes the problem, cut_it in 5-6 parts...

(program must run in you gedcom directory with http://your_localhost/your_genealogy_site/gedcom/gedcom_cutter.php choose 50 records and Cut-it!)

hassellbreaux-001-001.ged

hassellbreaux-001-002.ged

hassellbreaux-001-003.ged

hassellbreaux-001-004.ged

hassellbreaux-001-005.ged

hassellbreaux-001-006.ged

hassellbreaux-001-007.ged

hassellbreaux-001-008.ged

Thanks!  I think I know how your doing this now.

Also followed the repeating Header and End of File info....

Thanks!

BobH
20 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Well Ancestry is always making changes, so they may have changed something that broke the import, like they changed something that now causes the Census Plus International mod to no longer be able import the DOM source file they generate

Point well taken....Thanks!

Michel KIRSCH

OK.

Let me know what happens...

Michel

BobH
1 hour ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

OK.

Let me know what happens...

Michel

Finally got it down to one section that fails...apparently 100 is the smallest number of records you can split it to.  Now trying to examine to see if I can see the defect.  

Sorry for delay in response, we live in South Louisiana and have a tropical storm causing me problems here at home.  

Thanks for your help...If you can see a problem, let me know.  Only thing I know to do from here is visit every record in this group or 100 and see if one looks obviously bad.

hassellbreaux111-002.ged

Michel KIRSCH

The version below can cut to 10 records. If you want to cut smaller, change the code line 57

if ($cutafter < 10) in         if ($cutafter < 2)

Michel

gedcom_cutter.php

Michel KIRSCH

I see nothing wrong in this part of gedcom.

May be the lines with 2 CONT David Hymel [@@Himel].

May be the @@ can cause problem...

Continue to cut... I'm going to bed !

Michel

BobH
5 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

I see nothing wrong in this part of gedcom.

May be the lines with 2 CONT David Hymel [@@Himel].

May be the @@ can cause problem...

Continue to cut... I'm going to bed !

Michel

FINALLY...found fix...

I had to modify code for your Code Splitter to allow splitting below 100...fact (embarrassed to say) I had do get it down to 2 before I Fixed.

Appears NOTES I had copied for several individuals were full of Special Characters that apparently were Objectionable to Ancestry...specifically [ ] (brackets)  I found 4 records that the original author had used all over the place.  Anyway, your GedCom Splitter was the key to homing in on the issue.  

Thanks for the tool and the education!

PS...To Ken Roy...you too are also correct, in that "something changed at Ancestry", because these notes have been uploaded several times over the past year when I update my info on their site.  I will make them aware that their platform was rejecting my GedCom and is a NEW Issue traceable to some change in their platform.

Bob

Michel KIRSCH

Happy that your problem is solved.

Please put "SOLVED" before the title of your post.

Michel