TNG Community
jhculbert

Earliest Birth Statistic is Not the Earliest Birth - Why?

jhculbert

I have this question from one of the Guild of One-Name Studies TNG users.  I have searched this Forum and do not find an answer.

On the site's statistics page is found:   

Earliest Birth (John KNIGHTLIE 2 Feb 1641 / 2  

But, when searching for the Knightlie surname, the results show:

#  Last Name, Given Name(s) tng_sort_desc.gif   Person ID   Born/Christened tng_sort_asc.gif   Location   Tree 

Chart.gif KNIGHTLIE
I188   Abt 1520 Braughing, Hertfordshire tng_search_small.gif   England 002 from John Knightlie Hertford c1545

Chart.gif KNIGHTLIE, d
I25     England 002 from John Knightlie Hertford c1545

Chart.gif KNIGHTLIE, John
I304   2 Feb 1641 / 2 Ware, Hertfordshire tng_search_small.gif   England 002 from John Knightlie Hertford c1545

I144   Abt 1545 ? Fawsley, Northamptonshire tng_search_small.gif   England 002 from John Knightlie Hertford c1545

I115   Abt 1580 Braughing, Hertfordshire tng_search_small.gif   England 002 from John Knightlie Hertford c1545

Chart.gif KNIGHTLIE, Thomas
I106   Mar 1607 Braughing, Hertfordshire tng_search_small.gif   England 002 from John Knightlie Hertford c1545

Why does the statistics coding not pick up the earliest Knightlie?

Also, is there somewhere where one can find an instructional manual that explains how TNG works?  There is no Help for this Area link for Statistics.

Jim Culbert, Asst. Support Manager, TNG, Guild Members' Websites Project

theKiwi

Is the 1520 one listed as "Living"?

Are the dates you entered as "Abt xxxx" actually stored by TNG as dates - you can look in the database tables using phpMyAdmin to find out what value the field birthdatetr has for those people.

Or go and edit their record and retype the "abt 1520" and save it again and see if that lets TNG see that it is a real date

Roger

jhculbert

The Admin changed the suspect birth date of 1641/2 to 1642, and the issue resolved itself.

It appears the backslash prevents TNG from recognizing the entry as a date.

Thanks again for the guidance provided on this Forum!