TNG Community
Guido van Harten

optimizing website

Guido van Harten

I am trying to optimize my website. Many times I see the error "Service unavailable due to maintenance".

* Searching people takes a long time. Often it results in a "Service Unavailable - The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

* I have a Let's Encrypt certificate, but many times Google Chrome tells me in the address bar that the site is Not Secure. 

* Backup or optimizing tables takes a long time. I think nothing is backupped or optimized.

Who can help me?

Best regards,

Guido

Rob Severijns

Hi Guido,

When I go to your website I see a nearly empty welcome screen.

Guess you did that on purpose. by not choosing a template here.

Site seems secure though (HTTPS)

image.png

Apparently your site is completely private except of course for members.

Do you have maintenance mode on or is Let's Encrypt slowing down the transfer of data?

Could also have to do with your ISP or a combination of you ISP and Let's Encrypt.

I would ask your ISP 1st and ask them to look if it's anything on the server side.

Rob

Guido van Harten
2 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

Hi Guido,

When I go to your website I see a nearly empty welcome screen.

Guess you did that on purpose. by not choosing a template here.

Site seems secure though (HTTPS)

image.png

Apparently your site is completely private except of course for members.

Do you have maintenance mode on or is Let's Encrypt slowing down the transfer of data?

Could also have to do with your ISP or a combination of you ISP and Let's Encrypt.

I would ask your ISP 1st and ask them to look if it's anything on the server side.

Rob

I contacted my ISP already, but they replied it should be LE is the cause. May be I'll buy a commercial certificate.... I also asked them to reset something, because I am not able to optimize my database tables.

First I had to set my tree in the right format, then I will edit my welcome screen.

While not changing the settings of Let's Encrypt I see it's not secure.

My website is not completely private. The data of person's who are passed away are public.

Best regards,

Guido

TNG_20200605.JPG

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, Guido van Harten said:

While not changing the settings of Let's Encrypt I see it's not secure.

What makes you say that Let's Encrypt is not secure?`

Did you change your TNG URL to use https://

Sorry, but it is difficult to navigate sites when English is not provided as a language selection?

Is there an overriding reason, you chose not to use a Template ?  normally, the TNG vanilla home page is used by those who run their site within WordPress

Guido van Harten

> What makes you say that Let's Encrypt is not secure?`

The text "Niet beveiligd" in front off the URL - in English "not secure". Let's Encrypt should change it to a lock sign. Or isn't it?

> Did you change your TNG URL to use https://

Yes, I changed this in the TNG settings

> Sorry, but it is difficult to navigate sites when English is not provided as a language selection?

When I am logged in, I can change between Dutch and English. You can't? What is wrong in my settings you can't do that?

> Is there an overriding reason, you chose not to use a Template ?  normally, the TNG vanilla home page is used by those who run their site within WordPress

No, there is no reason. For now I think it is not important. I haven't spent time in using templates. But I do not use WordPress for this website.

Ken Roy

Guido,

I use Lets Encrypt on my web site, but I do not use Chrome as a browser, so I cannot speak as to whether that is a Google thing.   In which case, the should be able to tell you why they consider your site not secured. 

There probably is a link to change language, but i don't read Dutch.  There is likely nothing wrong with your settings.  I have not looked at the TNG vanilla home page in ages, so I do not know what relative position the Change Language link is shown. 

I launched Chrome and copied your URL from above and Chrome show the lock which when you hover over it, shows Secure

Guido van Harten

Due to my contact my hosting provider, they replied: we optimized the settings of Memory Limit and Execution time.

Now I am able to optimize the tables and create a backup. I think the settings are much better! I am curious you see a faster website.