TNG Community

Alternative site search engine

andrewfindlay

andrewfindlay

My site will sit behind a login permanently, so Google won't be able to index it. Has anyone tried installing a different site search engine on TNG?

If your site requires Login, then search engines cannot get to your site. 

andrewfindlay

No, but many websites  have their own search facilities for searching within the site, and a login isn't a problem for them.

I am interested in the best search programme or service and the right way to integrate the search engine code into a TNG site. Darrin doesn't have any recommendations so I am hoping other users may have tried it. 

andrewfindlay

Many thanks: some of the names there are familiar and are still around and I'll have a look at them. 

I have been picking my way around providers and am generally keener on software I can download and run myself rather than  cloud/SAAS providers which charge by the number of pages you index. This looks to be the right approach: I installed a programme which crawled my online tree of 6,000 people and indexed 112,000 documents, taking 19 hours over it. Looks like it follows every link on each persons page.  

Some learning from this is its probably best to index an offline copy of the site: web crawlers are polite and only request pages at a slow rate to avoid overwhelming the sites they are indexing.

I thought the challenge would be indexing the contents of a few thousand pages of pdf documents I will be adding. Hadn't occurred to me the tree would generate so much search information, but on reflection it is perfectly logical: crawlers follow links.