TNG Community
Derrick

Census Plus Int'l--new DOM configuration?

Derrick

This was working beautifully for me until I tried to download a source file yesterday and got this note: "The text string clientModel was not found. DOM Source is not from the interactive viewer.
Possibly a new DOM Source file format. Contact the mod developers using the TNG Community Forum and attached the failing DOM Source file." Attached herewith. They sure to seem to change this a lot at Ancestry, if that's what this is.

The first indication of something funny was when I right-clicked on the Index bar to "view selection source," and the Index bar dropped closed. It had not done this before. The source file looks different as well. I hope it's me, not the plugin, which--again--I am a huge fan of.

Derrick

Edited by Derrick
delete old attachment

Ken Roy

Derrick,

Carlton reported a similar problem last week.  It looks like Ancestry has made some changes again.

The URL for a DOM source capture was previously

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/6742/4241374-00209

now it shows as

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/6742/images/4241374-00209

with imageviewer/collections in the URL.  Is there a choice for how you can view the image?   The Census Plus International mod is set up to handle the Interactive viewer.  I have not done any census research recently, but if you copy the first URL format and then change the first number to be the number that follows collections and the second number to be the one that follows images, you should be able to capture the required DOM source so that it will import.

I will need to do some digging and it might help to know how you and Carlton are getting the to census image that it is now generating the URL in a different format with an imageview as part of the URL 

A DOM source captured from the first URL format where it shows interactive / collection # / image # works the new URL format does not

Derrick

I access them usually directly from a person's page on an Ancestry tree. I'll often click directly on the thumbnail image. Otherwise, I'll click on the "view" button that will give me the option to "view image" or "view record." In both cases the URL is laid out as you quote it above.

>A DOM source captured from the first URL format where it shows interactive / collection # / image # works the new URL format does not

I cannot change it to this to stay there. The address automatically turns to the new "imageviewer/collections" url.

Ken Roy

Derrick,

I understand that you cannot change the URL permanently, but consider that as a work around until I can figure out what Ancestry changed in their DOM source generator and how to deal with it.  Interestingly, I have not run across this new imageviewer/collections URL where I have clicked View and then selected View Image.

PattiH

I am also having this problem with an 1830 Oneida County, New York census. 

Ken Roy

See my recommended work around in a prior post in this thread.  I looked at the file posted by Derick and there is nothing in that file that can be used to import a census.  You all need to see if there is an option to use the Interactive viewer, otherwise you can try using the work around I indicated above.

The other alternative is to use the Add tab to enter only the family you need from the census record.

Ken Roy

This URL indicates the Interactive viewer is still the default view

Sounds like somehow your browsers are defaulting to some other image viewer

PattiH

I didn't understand your workaround. I understand about changing the url, but Derrick says it automatically redirects to the new version. Do you mean the url within the file like a find and replace? 

Ken Roy

Open another tab and enter the URL as

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/6742/4241374-00209

where the first 4 numbers are the nubers after collection/ in the URL that does not capture a valid DOM and the image number is entered after the slash for the collection number

I have not found a way to go the the Interactive viewer once you have a URL that says

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/6742/images/4241374-00209

On the other hand I have not been able to get this new URL format from any of the Ancestry census linked into cousin trees (I have no tree on Ancestry) nor from a search that returns any census links when I click on the View in the image icon.

Are you all doing something different to get to a census image?

PattiH

Mine also redirected to the imageviewer url. I did logon to the ProQuest Ancestry available through libraries usually requiring onsite use (the information about the default viewer is for the ProQuest version of Ancestry Library edition). It is using the interactive url, but it has the library access at the beginning. That wouldn't be useful for future access since it won't be available from home. 

PattiH
PattiH

By the way in the midst of complaining about the tool not working, I do not want it to be lost that this is a fabulous tool. Thanks so much for making it available to the TNG community. 

Ken Roy

Patti,

The DOM source capture works correctly when accessing Ancestry.com using a paid subscription.  It has been years since I have used a Library edition which I think was over 15 years ago before I retired and acquired TNG.

Ken Roy

If you only have access to the Library edition, you might have to use the Add tab and only add the family you are interested in from that census.  The same applies to census from FamilySearch or any other site.  I manually add my Acadian census and church census

PattiH

No, I have a personal subscription. The link you reference telling about the default image viewer is a ProQuest page about the library edition. I thought that might explain the difference. I was explaining why that was unsatisfactory to answer the question (at least in my mind). 

when you say it works "perfectly" are you saying today it works perfectly? 

Ken Roy
7 hours ago, PattiH said:

when you say it works "perfectly" are you saying today it works perfectly? 

What I am saying is that I cannot create the problem you are all reporting because whenever I access census images on Ancestry by clicking the View button on an image whether in a user's tree source or as the result of a search, the URL is always generated in the form of ancestry/col#/image#

It never creates a URL in the form of ancestry/imageviewer/collections/col#/images/image#  which does not allow a valid DOM source capture

As a result I do not know how to tell you all how to access the image so when you right click on the index bar and then Select All, and then right click again and click View Selection Source you can capture a DOM source correctly.

In other words, I have no clue what is causing the URL format of ancestry/imageviewer/collections/col#/images/image# and what you need to change to cause ancestry to provide the URL in the form that works.

Ken Roy
9 hours ago, PattiH said:

I am searching from the 1830 census search page. https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/8058/ I entered Ephraim Lewis living in New York. I clicked on the Oneida County man and click on the thumbnail image.

When I click on the URL provided to search for teh 1830 census records, and then enter Ephraim Lewis and lived in Oneida County, and then click View Record and then on the View button in the Image, it returns the URL as https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/8058/4409456_00869?pid= .... which allows a valid DOM source capture. 

PattiH

OK, thanks for checking. I know that sometimes Ancestry rolls out "new" features gradually across its membership. I've tried to see if there's some setting I can change. I've turned on "basic viewer" in the image settings. I've checked on all three web browsers I use on this computer (Mac) and also checked on a Windows machine using Firefox and they all convert to the "imageviewer" url. 

Ken Roy

Thanks Patti,

It is strange though that your browsers would convert to this imageviewer URL but mine does not.

Ken Roy

Derrick,

Instead of changing the URL directly, did you try opening a new tab, copying the beginning of the URL to the new tab and making the changes before hitting enter to retrieve the image?

Derrick

Yes; cut and pasted in up to .com/; typed in "interactive/"; then cut and pasted in the two numbers to create the rest of the old address in this format: "/6742/4241374-00209." It just reverted to imageviewer again.

Ken Roy

My question was whether you did it in a new tab before hitting enter to retrieve the census image.  Your video appears to show it in the same tab.

I would like to document a work around that works.  I have not been able to create the problem situation which is why I am asking these questions.

Derrick

Hi Ken,

I've tried to type it into a new tab in the same browser and in a new tab in a different browser.

Ken Roy

Thanks Derrick,

So the only work around then is to use the Add tab and enter the family you went from that particular census.  It is also strange that I am not experiencing the problem but then I do not likely have the same environment as you all.