TNG Community

[SOLVED] gedcom import processing

Guido van Harten

Guido van Harten

First of all, I am trying to use TNG again for my family tree.

I set up TNG and want to import my gedcom (the gedcom is ok, I am using it also in other applications).

After I start the import I do not see a progress bar or something, only: "Opening tree.ged", the rotating circle and the links "Stop" and "Resume". I am waiting now for 45 minutes. Is there someting I am doing wrong?

Best regards,

Guido

Guido,

Please indicate what TNG version you are using and what PHP version is being used.  There were some fixes for GEDCOM import for PHP 7

Guido van Harten
5 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Guido,

Please indicate what TNG version you are using and what PHP version is being used.  There were some fixes for GEDCOM import for PHP 7

I just updated my profile: I am using TNG 12.3 and my webhost runs PHP 7.3. Where can I find the fixes to download them?

Best regards,

Guido

Guido,

Unless your TNG version and php information shown in your signature, it is not readily available.

Depending on when you downloaded the upgrade to TNG 12.3, there were a couple of fixes that were merged into the upgrade zip files.  You could download the upgrade zip files again and copy the new files that have a date more current than the TNG 12.3 release date.  If the new files do not fix your GEDCOM import,  you may need to report the problem to Darrin

Guido van Harten

Ken,

My decission to try to reuse TNG I made today. so the download of the tngfiles123.zip is also today. I uploaded the contents of the zipfile to a new directory.

I'll report it to Darrin. Thanks!

Best regards,

Guido

Michel KIRSCH

Guido,

look first if your tree is loaded or not (via statistics by exemple)

You don't see a progress bar certainly because your hosting company doesn't release
his buffers until the PHP job is finished !
But the job continues...

You can try the "old méthod" by checking the appropriate box on the import page.
You'll see anything, but have a "report" when the job is finished.

Michel

Guido,
      I think that issue got re-introduced to TNG 12.3.  I sent Darrin a note that I thought the code looked that way, but since I didn't have the issue and I have a personal mod that changes that line I couldn't confirm.  So if you let Darrin know, then he will have evidence that the problem exists again and he should be able to get you the fixed file to test out.

Brent

Guido van Harten
4 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Guido,

look first if your tree is loaded or not (via statistics by exemple)

You don't see a progress bar certainly because your hosting company doesn't release
his buffers until the PHP job is finished !
But the job continues...

You can try the "old méthod" by checking the appropriate box on the import page.
You'll see anything, but have a "report" when the job is finished.

Michel

Michel, thanks for your hint. Import using the "old method" completed the mission.

Guido van Harten

The story continues...

I saw some data is not shown in my tree, so I corrected the gedcom, uploaded it to the server and tried it again.

Before importing I go to Setup - Table creation, and create the tables and also a new tree. Then I go to import gedcom, set it to the "old method" and started the import.

I am waiting and waiting, but nothing happened. Sometimes I get an error like a busy server or maintenance, but most of the times nothing happened. I only see

import.ged opened...
Importing GEDCOM...
(this may take several minutes)

If the import fails to run to completion, click here to resume.

Waiting for more than 1 hour doesn't help. Clicking to the next page ("to resume") also doesn't help.

What can I do to solve this struggle?

Best regards,

Guido

Michel KIRSCH

Guido,

First, verify that your tree is well loaded int o TNG or not.

Got to your statistics page and you'll see the progress ot the import with the number of persons or families loaded.

This problem is absolutely not due to TNG but to your web host.

Got the same problem with one.com : to reduce the traffic (that  they have to paid) ,

they limit the output buffers...

Guido van Harten
37 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Guido,

First, verify that your tree is well loaded int o TNG or not.

Got to your statistics page and you'll see the progress ot the import with the number of persons or families loaded.

This problem is absolutely not due to TNG but to your web host.

Got the same problem with one.com : to reduce the traffic (that  they have to paid) ,

they limit the output buffers...

I think my tree is well loaded. On the page of my gedcom import, I see

Import into

Destination tree

followed by the name of my tree.

If the retry of importing hangs again, I will have a look at the statistics. While waiting, the statistics page reports at this moment only zero's.

Best regards,

Guido

Guido van Harten
45 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Do you have a local site with TNG?

I own a domain name and I host a website at Versio, my webhosting company.

Michel KIRSCH

Did you 'ftp' your gedcom first on your server (directory gedcom) before try to import it?

What's the size of your gedcom?

Michel KIRSCH

What you can try is to cut your gedcom in smaller parts...

Try this program : copy the program in your Mods directory, run it with http://your site/mods/gedcom_cutter.php.

When running, give it the name of your gedcom (situed in your gedcom directory), a split qty of records and cut it!

Import then your parts of gedcom one by one...

or cut it manually.

Michel

gedcom_cutter.php

Guido van Harten
3 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Do you have a local site with TNG?

I own a domain name and I host a website at Versio, my webhosting company.

37 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

What you can try is to cut your gedcom in smaller parts...

Try this program : copy the program in your Mods directory, run it with http://your site/mods/gedcom_cutter.php.

When running, give it the name of your gedcom (situed in your gedcom directory), a split qty of records and cut it!

Import then your parts of gedcom one by one...

or cut it manually.

Michel

gedcom_cutter.php

Thank you for the mod. I think this is the solution for this moment.

The import was succesfull.

8 hours ago, Guido van Harten said:

Waiting for more than 1 hour doesn't help. Clicking to the next page ("to resume") also doesn't help.

What can I do to solve this struggle?

Did you report the problem to Darrin as Brent recommended?

My guess is that you are getting a PHP error some place that is stopping the import / and the resume.   If it is a bug in the code, only Darrin will be able to resolve it.  This is a user to user support forum, so other recommendations may not fix your issue

Michel KIRSCH

Ken, I think it is a problem of time... Cuttingthe gedcom in smaller parts seems to solve the problem...

Michel

Michel KIRSCH

Guido,

how many records do you put in each sub-gedcom file?

1 hour ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Ken, I think it is a problem of time.

Michel,

Maybe but only if the Import starts and never completes.   It the counts do not start on the old method or if the progress bar does not start at all on the newer import method,  then it is not a problem of time.  It could be a php error that is stopping the import.

Guido,

If you have access to your php error log, you could look there.  If not ask your hosting service if they see any error in that log

Michel KIRSCH

I have exactly the same problem with my web host. Everything works fine, but I see no progress bar. In this case, it is a problem of buffer flush, not done by the web host.

I don't see any message at the end of the import. Fortunately, my gedcoms are smaller than the gedcom of Guido and all data is in the database..

The proof that's it is a problem of time is that it works for Guido with smaller gedcoms.

The command used in the code : @set_time_limit(0);

1 - Can't bypass the limit of the web host (En général 30 ou 60 sec)

2 - When time limit of the web host is reached, a fatal error is generated that the user can't see because the @ in front of the command...

Michel,

Thanks for the explanation as to why you recommended what you did.

Guido van Harten

No, I haven't report it to Darrin.

Another user sent me a mod. Using that mod I can import the gedcom!

• 2 weeks later...
Michel KIRSCH

Guido,

edit the title of you post and write "SOLVED" before.

Thanks

Michel