TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
ceshelman

should I use multiple trees?

ceshelman

My Uncle has a significant family tree in Family Tree Maker with is also sync'd to Ancestry.com.  His DB is roughly 4k individuals split into three trees, one for my grandfathers family, and one for each of my grandmothers parents families.  Couple of questions on how best to get this info into TNG.  Is there an advantage to keeping this info in three trees or should I combine them into a single tree?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of multiple trees?

Also, am I better off using the Gedcom file from Ancestry.com or one created by Family Tree Maker?  In the past when I was getting my research into TNG, I found the gedcom files from Ancestry.com problematic.  Is that still the case?

Thanks,
Carl.

Newfloridian

Personal preference I suppose - but one tree every time. I have 20K people in my own tree. I started with my father as I1 and have only added new individuals if they link either directly or by marriage to someone already in the database. That way I can show a relationship (often fairly remote or across marriage between any two people in the database). I allot people to branches of the tree and in that way I can keep individual familes "apart, but together". There are a number of features I use at tree level - commonality of places, for instance - and a number at branch level: Feature Articles; Random photos; Events this day etc.

No idea about Ancestry - never use it; detest it in principle.

Cheers Alan

ceshelman

Thanks Alan,

You confirmed what I thought.  I will put it all into a single tree and only use multiple trees for totally unrelated families.  In other words, I won't use them. ;-)

Thanks,
Carl.

Newfloridian

I DO have a second tree but I used it (still in TNG) to fashion my University Graduation Year Book! Obviously that is totally separate from the main tree even down to having a completely separate login population

Alan