TNG Community
Arne Storset

Error when installing a mod

Arne Storset

I'm a newbie in using mods. Recently I installed my first mod: add_person_siblings_row, version 1.1.0.2. The installation went well. But I wanted to exchange 'sibling/siblings' with Norwegian 'Søsken' (same in singular and plural). I did this by trying to modify the CFG file. During this procedure I installed/reinstalled the mod several times. Perhaps I did some error here, see log. Now the Sibling field is appearing in duplicate on the Person page.  And worst: when I uninstall the mod, the Person page is empty, just the person's name shows up. When I reinstall the mod, the Person page is intact, but the Sibling duplicate is still there. 

I would really appreciate if anyone come up with a solution to this issue, how to get rid of the duplicated Sibling field. And is it possible to have a Norwegian, and an English, version of the mod by modifying the CFG file? 

My genealogy site: http://www.storset.no/genealogy/
TNG version 12.3
PHP version 7.2
Template 10

Installed mod.JPG

Person.JPG

Logg.JPG

Person page is empty.JPG

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, Arne Storset said:

During this procedure I installed/reinstalled the mod several times. Perhaps I did some error here, see log. Now the Sibling field is appearing in duplicate on the Person page.  And worst: when I uninstall the mod, the Person page is empty, just the person's name shows up.

Aren,

It sounds like you might need to copy the getperson.php file from the TNG full install for your TNG version or from your update zip file.

First after you uninstall the mod and only get an empty page, that means you have a syntax error some place.  Copy the getperson.php file and go to the PHP Syntax Checker to find the syntax error, so you might know where you might have introduced an error.

If you at any time manually edited the getperson.php file then it might no longer match what the Mod Manager location things should be there and even though the Mod Manager shows that it uninstalled the mod, it might not have removed the code, which would cause the row to be displayed twice

Ken

Rob Severijns

Hello Arne,

Do as Ken told you.

Also check you language "custum_text.php" files for any entries related to the mod and delete those rows.

Changing the word "Sibling/Siblings" into "Søsken" can be done by copying the mod related text from the English language file into the Norwegian language file "custum_text.php" and make the changes.

If you don't know how let me know.

Kind regards,

Rob

Rob Severijns

Arne,

Add the lines below to your Norwegian custom_text.php and that should do the trick.

$text['infosibling'] = "Søsken";

$text['infosiblings'] = "Søsken";

Rob

Arne Storset

Thanks both for quick responses!

I'm not very familiar whith stuff like this. Do I understand correctly that I should exchange the existing getperson.php (40 Kb) file with the original one (38 Kb)? I have attached the existing getperson.php file to this message. For me it is difficult to find any errors in all this text. 

Should I take a backup before I proceed?

getperson.php

Ken Roy

Arne,

There are no syntax errors in the attached getperson.php however the mod appears to be there twice.  If you have no other mods installed.  just renamed the getperson.php file and copy the TNG file from the zip file you downloaded to create your site.  Then re-install the mod.

Arne Storset

Thank you very much; the problem is solved.

Rob S: I could not install add_person__siblings_row v. 12.0.0.5. I was told that I could not install this version. I have added the text you suggested to  Norwegian custom_text.php, but 'søsken' does not show up. Perhaps the script is not correct. The modified custom_text.php file is attached.

cust_text.php

Ken Roy

Who said you could not install the Add Person Siblings Row v12.0.0.5 mod? 

If you send me the Norwegian cust_text.php you want to use, I will add them to the next version of the mod.

Ken Roy

I just double-checked and the text variables are there for Norwegian-UTF8.  Are you running your site using an non UTF-8 charset such ISO-8859

Arne Storset

Rob Severinjs wrote that I could use version 12.0.0.5.  

I'm running English- and Norwegian-UTF-8. 

cust_text.php

Ken Roy

If you are using Norwegian-UTF8, the you should be using English-UTF8.  What is your your primary language as defined in Admin > Setup > General Settings > Language section. 

Also all languages you add using Admin > Languages should be the -UTF8 folder if you want to use Norwegian-UTF8 

Arne Storset

You will see my language settings in the two attached images.

Language1.JPG

Language2.JPG

Ken Roy

You need to update your English language definition to show character set of UTF-8 to avoid problems when switching languages

Arne Storset

Thank you very much, Ken!

Ken Roy

you are welcome, but I am curious where you were attempting to change the cust_text.php since the Norwegian-UTF8 already has the correct text strings

Rob Severijns

Hi Arne,

Just to be clear, I did say that but realized that version is only for " Sosa and spouse display" so I deleted that part of my response 3 min after I placed it. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

You can of course use that version if you want the  " Sosa and spouse display".

Rob

Arne Storset

I have changed the cust_text.php file back to the original. 

Should I wait with the Norwegian version of the mod until it is updated? Or is it already in place, just a matter of justments?

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, Arne Storset said:

I have changed the cust_text.php file back to the original. 

Should I wait with the Norwegian version of the mod until it is updated? Or is it already in place, just a matter of justments?

Sorry, I do not understand.  The current mod already contains the correct text values for the Norwegian-UTF8 language.

Where else were you attempting to make a change?

Ken Roy
2 hours ago, Rob Severijns said:

Just to be clear, I did say that but realized that version is only for " Sosa and spouse display" so I deleted that part of my response 3 min after I placed it. Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Now, I misunderstand.  The Sosa and Spouse display are options within the mod.

If you do not want to see the siblings spouses, you Edit the mod options and change Show Sibling Spouses?  to false.

Likewise for Sosa, if you do not want to display the Sosa icon, you would change Show Sosa icon  to false.