TNG Community
Rob Severijns

*Solved* Video content in TNG after Adobe Flash is no longer supported

Rob Severijns

Hello everyone,

I know that some might say it's a bit early for this but as of 31 dec 2020 Adobe will discontinue the support of Flash.

This means that playing video from within a TNG website via for instance Flowplayer is no longer a valid option.

I understand that the use of HTML5 to play video is the most likely option as a successor  for Flash.

Since my website is private I don't wanna use other online platforms such as Youtube to play my family video's because it could conflict with GDPR but I'm not exactly sure of that for I'm not very familiar with the Youtube platform abillities to block content from unwanted viewers. Let alone questions about ownership and terms of use.

My question relates to the above and is as follows;

Do we know if and how the upcoming version of TNG (TNG 13 release Q4 2020?) is handeling video content?

What neccesary steps can we take prior to the release of the next TNG version to be able to play video?

If playing video content is not native in the next TNG version how can we best realize this on our own websites after Flash support has stopped?

Kind regards,

Rob

fluffy82

I thought YouTube also allows you to upload private video's? In that case there's no GDPR issue.

Rob Severijns

Hi Fluffy82,

Thanks for your reply.

That might take one of the obsacles out of the way but to be honest I'm a bit reluctant to sharing my genealocigal dat on platforms like youtube.

I wonder how private, private really is on platforms like youtube (Google)?

There will be those who don't mind doing that but since my site is private I prefer playing the content native and I guess there will be others like me.

But thanks again for your reply.

Rob

Rob Severijns

When Flash is no longer supported (end 0f 2020) one can still use the Flowplayer to view video content from within TNG.

Just convert your flv files into mp4 files and place them on your server.

After configuring TNG as instructed in   Install and Setup Flowplayer     you will be able to play video content from within TNG.

Latest version of the FLV player is 3.2.18 and I can send you the files if you PM me

Rob