TNG Community
jayat1familytree

Can anyone help Restore my Site?

jayat1familytree

Hi folks - My late brother spent a decade or two building a geneology website, and we've lost it (the hosting service deleted it after missed payments). I have his files, tons of backups and a new Domain name, but don't know how to proceed from here. I can pay $$ to someone that's interested in geneology and preserving family histories.  -Mark 

jayat1familytree

Thanks for responding manofmull!  I don't know what it means to say  "domain name is registered", but I have paid the old webhosting service (its called Hostgator.com) to host a site under the name "1familytree.org" ( the old name 1familytree.com got grabbed by a domain name reseller/whatever).  Can I still use that new domain name but use simplyhosting.net instead of hostgator.com? 

manofmull

Mark

Whatever your website name is, it has to be registered (low cost) and repeatedly so each year.

Seems a shame if you've already paid Hostgator (I'm assuming for registration and hosting).

Why don't you ask them first then, to see if they will set up TNG software for you.

If they say no, try and get a refund, then contact SimplyHosting. You can transfer registration and hosting to them.

I've been with Simply for years and highly recommend them.

jayat1familytree

Are these folks at SimplyHosting conversant in TNG? I think thats the important part. I dont mind losing a hundred bucks or so that I sent HostGator.  

manofmull

Mark

SimplyHosting are recommended by TNG author Darrin Lythgoe!

They will do everything for you i.e. set up TNG and take over your registration/hosting requirements

Very professional outfit

Once you are up and running, the first thing to do is create an admin username for yourself asap

Rob Severijns

Mark,

Just out of curiosity, did you succeed in setting up the website?

Rob 

jayat1familytree

Hi guys - I had to drop the ball on this for awhile, but now I'm back. OK, i have started a service "ticket" with simplyhosting.net...   

jayat1familytree

OK ManofMull (or anybody!) , I now have an account at SimplyHosting and have transferred my new domain name 1familytree.org  to there. Now I guess I need to find a way to rebuild my brother's site there.  On of the old users found out that there is actually the old data sitting in "tng.1familytree.com"... does anybody know what that is? Was that a temporary "mirror" something-or-other my brother used to work on his site? Anyway, might I just need to get that "ported over" to my new domain? Is there someone at Tng that could help me with this?  My tech at SimplyHosting does not seem to know what TNG is.  :(

jayat1familytree

OK You guys - after too many hours on tech support with "GoDaddy" and "Dynonames", (I'm still confused with who is actually hosting this site), and much help from the folks at SimplyHosting,  I've been able to get an older version of my bro's website BACK ONLINE!  A great relief. In 2018 i think he was upgrading everything to the latest version of TNG, AND/OR, he was changing hosting companies or something, so had a "working copy" of the site and whoever was hosting that (GoDaddy or Dynonames) had it "parked". So I got it back! It's at www.1familytree.com if anyone interested, by the way.  (The latest site was hosted at "HostGator" and they deleted everything.)

So I think I will poke around my brother's site, try to get to know how it works, then migrate it over to SimplyHosting.  Thanks for your help ManOfMull!

edglimited
On 6/17/2020 at 3:32 AM, jayat1familytree said:

OK You guys - after too many hours on tech support with "GoDaddy" and "Dynonames", (I'm still confused with who is actually hosting this site), and much help from the folks at SimplyHosting,  I've been able to get an older version of my bro's website BACK ONLINE!  A great relief. In 2018 i think he was upgrading everything to the latest version of TNG, AND/OR, he was changing hosting companies or something, so had a "working copy" of the site and whoever was hosting that (GoDaddy or Dynonames) had it "parked". So I got it back! It's at www.1familytree.com if anyone interested, by the way.  (The latest site was hosted at "HostGator" and they deleted everything.)

So I think I will poke around my brother's site, try to get to know how it works, then migrate it over to SimplyHosting.  Thanks for your help ManOfMull!

Just had a look at your site, that is one busy front page.