TNG Community

GEDCOM Export filter - User Defined Tags

LJLachance

LJLachance

If this is addressed already, apologies...

I have created a "user defined tag or fact" for specific individuals in my "desktop database" currently using "Legacy Family Tree".   I never update or append my existing TNG database online, rather I upload a clean copy each time I upload/update to TNG.  

What I want is to add some sort of identifier to the individual that I have "tagged" such that when you view the person in TNG that person is readily identifiable as "different".  For example, on the "Individual Screen" you see now the persons Name, Born, Baptized, Gender, etc.  I'd like to add a field for the tag I've created, as a for instance, "STRAY" or "OTHER" or "NOT RELATED" ... or even change the font color of the name or background based on this single "custom tag" that gets imported.  I need someway to differentiate on the individual screen, the family screen and the group sheet.

If this makes no sense, please tell me and I'll try to better explain.  

Rob Severijns

Hello LJ,

Not exactly sure what you mean but I'll give ot a try.

Stray, Other or Not Related aren't standard GEDCOM codes so TNG will not recognize them as such.

I'm not familiar with LFT but if your tag is placed as a note to a specific person's name  it ought to popup in the person view.

I can't test it myself but maybe you could give it a try.

BTW have you checked this thread: 

Kind regards,

Rob

Have you looked at the Admin screen "Custom Event Types" to see if your Tag(s) are listed as "Accept" or "Ignore"  on Import?

If your Tags are not shown how is the tag shown when you look in the  GEDCOM?

LJLachance

TBird - thanks for the pointer.  The tag is a "standard" for Legacy Family Tree but NOT in the list of custom tags with TNG.  The tag in the GEDCOM is named _TAG5 and identified as "record Tag 5".  So I think I can simply add it as a custom tag in TNG, and apply it to the individual.  This seems easy enough but, how would it display on the individual screen.  When looking at the individual screen, there is a line for _UID (a standard) and it is exactly how I would want the custom tag to appear...a separate line on the individual screen.  If I add a custom tag will it automatically be added to the individual display screen?  

Thanks for helping.

Larry

Larry,
     On the import screen there is an option right under the file name to "Import Custom Events Types only".  You can use this option to add the custom tags to the list in TNG.  Then you will be able to set _TAG5 as accept and give it a different display title, if the one that TNG sets by default on the custom event type import isn't titled how you want.  It will display on its own line on the individual screen, just like _UID does.  Manually setting the custom event type to "Accept" is the way to get an event to show on the individual screen.

Brent