TNG Community
jbmack47

Advice on a small template fix, please

jbmack47

I'm running TNG 12.3 with Template 8, and just added Michel's mod for surname cloud in the center of three columns on the home page. I'm comfortable editing code, but definitely a novice. I'm stumped on where and how to create some additional space above the frame for the surname cloud -- to push it down and give more room following the "Contact us" text. I've tried adding line breaks in index.php, but that doesn't do it. Thanks.

www.mccallroots.com

2_Capture.JPG

Rob Severijns

Hello Jbmack,

Have you tried adjusting the Languages/English-UTF8/text.php

$text['contactus_long'] = "If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site, please <span class=\"emphasis\"><a href=\"suggest.php\">contact us</a></span>. We look forward to hearing from you.";

Just add a break at the end and I think that should do the trick.

Kind regards,

Rob

jbmack47

Hi, Rob - thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that simple edit crashed the site. Very curious. I didn't touch the index.php, right, but only edited the Languages/English-UTF8/text.php:

ORIGINAL: $text['contactus_long'] = "If you have any questions or comments about the information on this site, please <span class=\"emphasis\"><a href=\"suggest.php\">contact us</a></span>. We look forward to hearing from you.";

If I add <br><br> either inside or outside that terminal semi-colon, it crashes.

John McCall

bhemph

John, it needs to be inside the quotes.

jbmack47

Bingo! Thank you both. While I have your attention (!) is there a setting to reduce the default font size for the surname cloud? Just a tad, say from 16pt to 14 pt for the largest size?

Rob Severijns

jbmack,

Glad we were able to help you out 😀

Regarding your last question I'm not sure I can help you out. I use Template 9 and don't use the mod.

I would check the mod via the modmanager to see which files are edited by the mod.

I guess you could also check the CSS/genstyle.css 

There might be something in there determening the fontsize but then again I'm not sure.

Good luck and kind regards, 

Rob

Rob Severijns

Jbmack,

I just checked your website.

After inspecting the code (Ctrl/Shift/I)  I found that the fontsize is set in percentages. (See image)

image.png

You should be able to adjust the % in the genstyle.css.

Give it a try 😀 

Hope this will help you.

Rob

jbmack47

Just what I needed, Rob. Just a couple of lines above these percentages is the default font size at 14px. I dropped it to 13px and it's just what I wanted. Much appreciated,

John

Ken Roy

Rather than updating genstyle.css you should copy the definitions you want to change to your mytngstyle.css for your template.  If you are not using a template, then copy the definitions to the mytngstyle.css in the root  css/ folder.  Then make the changes in mytngstyle.css so that you do not lose your overrides when you upgrade your site

Rob Severijns

Ken,

You are absolutely right.

I just never new that was an option. Good to know.

Can use this in in the future 😀

Makes upgrading much easier.

Thx,

Rob

Rob Severijns

Thx Ken. 👍

jbmack47

Thanks, Ken. In honor of my late mother "the TRULY smart people are the ones who read the user guide before they jump in!"