TNG Community

Avoid ID modification when importing a gedcom

NicoM

Hi,

I recently noticed that after importing a gedcom file into an existing family tree, the IDs of this family tree were changed. I don't understand what that might have been. So my question: what should I pay attention to and what setting should I choose for the import of a gedcom file to be absolutely sure that existing IDs are retained.

Thanks

Nico

Nico, one cause might be due to deleting people in your main genealogy program because when you export that tree to a gedcom, those missing RIN's or ID's are filled in, which might change the ID's of people in TNG when you import that gedcom, especially when using the Replace All option... The only way to ensure existing ID's are retained is to fill in those deleted people before you export your tree to a gedcom.

I use PAF as my primary genealogy program and when i delete someone from my tree, which is rare these days, i fill in that deleted person with the last person i added, taking note of if i linked any images to that last person in TNG, so i can re link those images. I use a program called FamilyInsight, which works from within PAF, which is now a free program and can be found here... https://ohanasoftware.wixsite.com/familyinsight . I purchased this program years ago and remember it said it worked with a number of different genealogy programs but don't remember which ones. This program is also use full if you want to split your large tree into separate smaller trees.

Thank you stores.

If I understand you correctly, when importing into TNG you cannot ensure that all IDs already assigned in the online family tree are retained (?)

ID's in your TNG tree are dependent on what you do in the program creating the Gedcom. If you delete people in your main genealogy program and create a gedcom and import that gedcom into TNG then that process will throw off the ID's.

If you do not delete people in your main genealogy program and you create a gedcom and import that gedcom into TNG, using the Replace All option, then ID's should remain the same. 

Thank you for this clarification, stores.

"when i delete someone from my tree, which is rare these days, i fill in that deleted person with the last person i added"

Please tell me more precisely, how you proceed in order to replace a deleted person in your genealogy programme. Does the new person, replacing the deleted one, has to have the same ID as the old one. I must admit, I don't understand. 

If your genealogy program has an option where you can tell it not to re-use deleted IDs that is the easiest approach to use.  If it does not have such an option, you need to take other actions.  See Desktop gotchas for considerations on how to handle their quirks in TNG

Yes Ken, that is an option but I use PAF which reuses deleted records.

Nico, simply put, the program i mentioned in my 1st post allows you to click on a person and assign them a new ID and it shows you the lowest unused number and you just click on that unused number or exit to keep the same ID.

I also use PAF.   If I merge IDs in PAF, I merge the same IDs in TNG so that linked media gets handled before I import a new GEDCOM.   There are multiple ways to handle the problem.

Yes, but on occasion in the past, merging was not an option, as i wanted to delete people or families that DNA proved were not related. I was simply trying to point out a way to ensure ID's are retained when importing gedcoms...

Jim,

Please update the TNG Wiki page on Desktop gotchas.  I am not aware of the software you provided a link to.

Thanks,

Been using that program with PAF for years. It makes it easy to split a tree into smaller trees as well as to export the PAF tree to a new file to fix the errors found when you run the check the file for errors option and PAF can't fix those errors which often result from deleting people. I have mentioned that program a couple times in the past, you must have missed that.

Found an old posting... FamilyInsight can run as a stand-alone application and can be used with any lineage-linked database program, i.e. RootsMagic, Ancestral Quest, Legacy Family Tree, Family Tree Maker etc.

Many thanks for your help.
Since many users publish their family trees on my site, I have to warn them about the errors generated by deleting people in local family trees before importing a new version of the family tree into TNG.

Many users publish their family trees on my website. I will have to warn them of the problem.

Please tell me what to tell my TNG users specifically to solve the problem or to prevent its effects.

Example:

"Please refrain from deleting people or families in your family tree before you create a new Gedcom file and upload it. If you nevertheless delete a person locally, make sure that the IDs thus released are not reused. Otherwise, external links will work lost to your TNG database. "

OK then?