TNG Community
andrewfindlay

FH GEDCOM Import Failing

andrewfindlay

I have exported a Gedcom from Family Historian 6 and then imported into TNG 12 following all the advice on the FH and TNG help pages, user groups, wikis etc.   However all that will import are 520 people (of over 6,000) and they are fragmented, with links only going one generation.  I have checked the exported Gedcom, cleared trees, made new trees and anything else I can think of, with no result.   Only thing that worked was exporting a Gedcom based on a diagram of 469 people.  Is there a setting in TNG that is limiting the number of people imported? If not, does anyone have any other ideas?

Rob Severijns

Hello Andrew,

I checked the FH6 website and they claim to be 100% GEDCOM.

Not sure which GEDCOM version that is but I guess 5.5 or 5.5.1 or even 5.5.5 if you have FH6.1

TNG is able to import GEDCOM files as of version 4.0 so that should not be the problem.

I don't know how FH6 works but have you tried different settings when exporting from FH6 and importing into TNG?

As far as I know TNG doesn't have restrictions regarding the size of your GEDCOM.

I myself no longer use a dektop program and edit my familytree from within TNG. I make a backup and export a GEDCOM regularly. Never really had any problems so far. 

Hope you find a good solution for your GEDCOM import.

Kind regards,

Rob

andrewfindlay

Thanks Rob.  I am going to contact Darrin direct as I have had another long session trying to make it work and no improvement.

Ken Roy

There are other users who use Family Historian.  There are considerations in the TNG Wiki Desktop gotchas for Family Historian v4 and v5 but no one has written anything about v6

tngrlkrz

Hi Andrew,

Before you contact Darrin,  I would ask if you using the default export, or an available export plugin?  I export regularly from FH 6.2.6 using he Export Gedcom 3.7 (v3.9 is also available on the FH user forum) plugin.  I use the plugin choice provided for export to TNG.  Attached are the specifications I use.  I have never experienced fragmentation or import limitations.

I have been importing 15,000 persons and 5000 families since TNG 11.0 through the current TNG 12.3. 

Are you a FH forum member?  If not, I would urge you to do so.  There are some very knowledgeable folks there, in particular the author of the aforementioned plugin.  The author took my input during testing for development of the TNG portion of the plugin.

image.png

Many options to tailor the export to characteristics of your site; takes trial and error to get right.

image.png

Hope this helps.

peter hannaway

Hi Andrew,

I use the same FH Export GEDCOM as Ron (above) but with two slight variations in Basic Options:

• CHAR SET - UTF8 with a Byte Order Mark
  • M/MEDIA CONV - PART--LMO (this enables the "Link to Face" head & shoulders of persons in Diagrams)

Been using that format for years, it's been fine (1430 individuals)

Peter