TNG Community
Rob Roy

Private Notes

Rob Roy

I have found notes an excellent place to put notes to myself about records.  These are marked "private" so that only the "admin" can see them.  Catch is, to see if I set the note to private I have to go into the note field.  Is there a way to see what notes are private without going into the note?

Ken Roy

Rob,

You probably need to install a couple of mods:

• Secret Notes for Admin so that Private notes (those with the secret flag) are not allowed to users who have the View Private privilege
  • Display Private Notes so that Notes on getperson show Private Notes instead of simply notes
  • Exclude Secret Notes so that private notes are not included when you create a GEDCOM file to send to others

If you like any of these mods, you should also let Darrin know they should become part of TNG.

Rob Roy

Thank you Ken.  Will give them a try. 

Rob Roy

Unfortunately, none of those mods meets my need. I probably didn’t explain it well.

In the Note Fields is an option to check “Private”.  When checked the Note will only display to those who have been granted the permission, or the Admin.

If I enter the database as the Admin, I can see all Notes, however, there is no way to see if they have been set to private without clicking on the Note and entering it.

What I would like is a way to easily spot whether the Private flag has been set without opening the field.

Ken Roy

There is currently no way to know in Admin that a note is marked Private.  Since I import all my data and do not update TNG using the Admin interface, the Display Private Notes mod I developed was sufficient for me to know that a mod is marked private.

Rob Roy

I was afraid that was the answer.  I have a couple of workarounds, but they are a bit ugly.  Thank you.

Brett
On 4/24/2020 at 11:35 PM, Rob Roy said:

What I would like is a way to easily spot whether the Private flag has been set without opening the field.

Rob

Do you want this showing in Admin/Notes, Public/Notes or on each page the Note appears?

Rob Roy

I am specifically interested in Name Notes.  Here is a test of a private note:

image.png

Since I am logged in as an admin, the page shows:

image.png

There is no indication that this is set to "Private". 

Ken Roy

Does my Display Private Notes mod not provide that capability?   If not, how do you define the Show Notes option in the Miscellaneous section of Admin > Setup > General Settings?

Rob Roy

Will implement in the morning.  I'm a morning person, and this late fumble fingers will do it in.  My confusion was between secret and private.  Gather they are one in the same.'

Brett
13 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Does my Display Private Notes mod not provide that capability?

Ken

Confused here. The Mod description on the Wiki - This mod adds the word Private to the Notes row label on the Individual (getperson) page and the Family Group Sheet.

I have installed the Mod and the Notes label becomes Private Notes for all Note rows, including notes not marked as private. Am I missing something?

Rob wants an indicator that a particulat note is marked private.

Brett
13 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

how do you define the Show Notes option in the Miscellaneous section

Rob has this setting as Underneath events, except General Notes. Rob does not want the notes in a notes section at the bottom.

Ken Roy
3 hours ago, Brett said:

I have installed the Mod and the Notes label becomes Private Notes for all Note rows, including notes not marked as private. Am I missing something?

Maybe there is a bug in the way it is implemented.  Only notes with the secret flag should have the Notes label changed to Private Notes

3 hours ago, Brett said:

Rob has this setting as Underneath events, except General Notes. Rob does not want the notes in a notes section at the bottom

Thanks, I thought I had tested for both General Notes and Notes underneath events.  Maybe the variable is not being reset at the correct place.

Ken Roy

Brett,

You may need to provide more specific information on how the notes are created, since when I create a note for a baptism event there is no note tag being displayed

Ken Roy

You could also try Michel's Confidential Notes Color mod.  Although, it appears to conflict with the mods, I have installed.

Rob Roy

Ken, the Confidential Notes Color mod does the trick.  Now I can easily see if old fumble fingers forgot to check the Private box.  Thank you good sir.

Joyaa
On 4/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, Rob Roy said:

Ken, the Confidential Notes Color mod does the trick.  Now I can easily see if old fumble fingers forgot to check the Private box.  Thank you good sir.

Confidential Notes Color Mod - very useful.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:55 AM, Ken Roy said:

// ... snip ... //

• Secret Notes for Admin so that Private notes (those with the secret flag) are not allowed to users who have the View Private privilege

If you like any of these mods, you should also let Darrin know they should become part of TNG.

Ken - the work & time you put in to help us all is mind-boggling.  Thank you.
IMHO - referring to a tick box in Private notes as a "secret flag" is confusing.  Since this is a "Private notes" box, isn't the tick box  - i.e. the flag - "private"?   
Using the label "secret" in conversations and the wiki suggests to me - a literal interpreter - that there is a further flag somewhere - "secret", differentiated from "private".  If that is not the case, I think it's simpler and less confusing to refer to it as "private".

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, Joyaa said:

Using the label "secret" in conversations and the wiki suggests to me - a literal interpreter - that there is a further flag somewhere - "secret", differentiated from "private".  If that is not the case, I think it's simpler and less confusing to refer to it as "private"

Sorry if there is any confusion.  The Secret Flag on notes existed vay before Darrin ever introduced the Allow View Private privilege to control who can view information on persons and families marked Private.  

I have been asking Darrin for a View Secret or maybe a View Confidential Notes privilege for a long time since I personally do not want to allow those who have the View Private privilege to view Confidential notes.  I also do not want to necessarily export those notes when creating GEDCOM files for relatives.

It is more than a literal interpretation.  Maybe no one else wants to restrict Confidential or Private notes to administrators only.  It is difficult to assess since most new mod users do not bother to update the TNG Wiki mod articles.

Joyaa
1 hour ago, Ken Roy said:

...  It is more than a literal interpretation.  Maybe no one else wants to restrict Confidential or Private notes to administrators only....

Thanks Ken.
For me, restricting private notes to admin only is very important.
However, as TNG 13.0.3 currently stands, so far as I can see (having just tested this):
1. A user set up with access to "Private" can see privatised people and can see privatised notes.  
2. A user set up without access to "Private" cannot see privatised people and cannot see privatised notes.  
Therefore, I only allow my Administrators and Editors - both a very select list - access to see "Private" and I don't need a Mod to do this.
What does a secret note offer that private note does not?
Cheers, Joyaa