TNG Community

Upgrade to 12.3 issue - homepage does not work

drbob

Hi,

I am not sure what happened.

I completed my upgrade from 12.1 - 12.3 and the homepage worked fine.  Unfortunately, I lost the surname cloud I put in the footer in 12.1 in the process.  I was thinking about that and decided that I would restore my backed up index.php file (from version 12.1) to get that cloud back.  Well, now my homepage does not work (www.landgen.us).  But the other pages do work (Admin, people pages that were open on my computer, etc.).  So I know it's my index file situation.  The problem is, I can't restore back to how it was before I put my index.php file back.  So I decided I would just retransfer over all the new 12.3 files and it would restore to a working 12.3 homepage version.  Well, it did not.

My installation is on SimpleHosting.

Any thoughts on how to repair this?  I hope I haven't messed myself all up somehow.

Thank you for the help.

Best,

Bob

Bob,

Not all templates support the Surname Cloud and as far as I know the TNG template that provided the Surname cloud did not do it in the footer.

Users who modify how TNG works need to keep good notes on what they changed or learn how to create personal mods and use the Mod Manager to install the changes so that do not lose them on an upgrade and can quickly install their modifications to TNG

There is a mod that can be used Add Cloud of Names I have not looked at it so I do not know that would work for you.

Hi Ken,

Thank you.  I got my homepage fixed.  Darrin helped me.  It was easy, of course.

In terms of the cloud, I will find my old string about this and pull up the message that told me about how to modify my file so it would work.  I think I can redo that.  I will also check out your suggestion.  Thank you so much for taking the time to look for that.

Best,

Bob

Bob - can you tell me what Darren suggested. I'm having a similar issue - after the upgrade (12.2 - 12.3) everything works fine except for two hyperlinks from the homepage used to be one opened my family ancestry (with me as "living" but showing my parents) and one for my spouse (with her as "living, but all her ancestors showing in the tree). Now I just get this:

image.png

Oh No!  That does not look good.  Don't worry, I am sure it is fixable.  Email Darrin directly.  My issue was solved when he realized I had uploaded my index page from my template to my home directory.  I swapped files and all resolved.  I am not sure what is up with your database.  I am sure he will support a fix for you.  

Good luck!!

Best,

Bob

Fixed it -- I had overlooked the fact that I'd changed the label of my primary tree and didn't update my template. So the hyperlink was pointing to the right person in the wrong tree. Nothing like getting a little sleep when the brain is cloudy. Thanks!