TNG Community
zanger02

Template 18 - links on home page

zanger02

I'd like to add more links to the right of the existing links on the home page. No matter what I try the extra links don't show or they are duplicates of the first two. TNG v12.1 and template 18. Not sure what I'm missing. I'm a developer but I'm really new to PHP.

Before changes

<?php
include($cms['tngpath'] . "surname_cloud.class.php");
$flags['noicons'] = true;
$flags['noheader'] = true;
$flags['nobody'] = true;
$tngconfig['showshare'] = false;
tng_header( $sitename ? "" : $text['ourhist'], $flags );
if(!$cms['support'] && $sitever != "mobile")
	echo "<body id=\"bodytop\" class=\"" . pathinfo(basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME']), PATHINFO_FILENAME) . " homebody\">\n";

$dadlabel = getTemplateMessage('t18_dadside');
$momlabel = getTemplateMessage('t18_momside');
?>

<div class="theader">
	<div id="thomemast" class="mast">
		<h1><?php echo getTemplateMessage('t18_maintitle'); ?></h1>
			<span class="tsubtitle"><?php echo getTemplateMessage('t18_headsubtitle'); ?></span> 
	</div>
	<div id="tmenu">
	  <ul>
<?php
	if($dadlabel) {
?>
	<li><a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t18_dadperson']; ?>&tree=<?php echo $tmp['t18_dadtree']; ?>"><?php echo $dadlabel; ?></a></li>
<?php		
	}
	if($momlabel) {
?>
	<li><a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t18_momperson']; ?>&tree=<?php echo $tmp['t18_momtree']; ?>"><?php echo $momlabel; ?></a></li>

<?php		
	}
	echo showLinks($tmp['t18_featurelinks'],false);
?>
	</ul>
  </div>
</div>

I tried adding two more links

$dadlabel = getTemplateMessage('t18_dadside');
$momlabel = getTemplateMessage('t18_momside');
$stepdadlabel = getTemplateMessage('t18_stepdadside');
$stepmomlabel = getTemplateMessage('t18_stepmomside');

<?php
	if($dadlabel) {
?>
			<li><a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t18_dadperson']; ?>&tree=<?php echo $tmp['t18_dadtree']; ?>"><?php echo $dadlabel; ?></a></li>
<?php		
	}
	if($momlabel) {
?>
			<li><a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t18_momperson']; ?>&tree=<?php echo $tmp['t18_momtree']; ?>"><?php echo $momlabel; ?></a></li>
<?php		
	}
	if($stepdadlabel) {
?>
			<li><a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t18_stepdadperson']; ?>&tree=<?php echo $tmp['t18_stepdadtree']; ?>"><?php echo $stepdadlabel; ?></a></li>
<?php		
	}
	if($stepmomlabel) {
?>
			<li><a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t18_stepmomperson']; ?>&tree=<?php echo $tmp['t18_stepmomtree']; ?>"><?php echo $stepmomlabel; ?></a></li>

<?php		
	}
	echo showLinks($tmp['t18_featurelinks'],false);
?>

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 1.03.57 PM.png

Ken Roy

I think you are over complicating the process.  Just go to TNG Admin > Setup > Template Settings and in the Feature links section add the links you want to add

For example

TNG Wiki, https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php, ext

Note that the ext 3rd parameter is only valid in TNG 12.3 to open the link in a separate tab

zanger02

Thanks!

First thing I tried was the template settings. There's no option to add a link to the two links. The feature links are further down the page and already used.

Ken Roy

Maybe I was too cryptc in my reply.  You can add as many links as you want in that textarea

Third Link, http://tngsitebuilding.com
Fourth Link, http://tngsitebuilding.com/blog
Link name, absolute URL
Link name, another URL

You can also change the Third and Fourth link to whatever you like

zanger02

You were cryptic. 😀 Lol!!!  I didn't realize I could add links in the text box. 🤣 Thanks!!