TNG Community
Jan Suhr

[SOLVED] Help needed, HREF link with mysql column variables

Jan Suhr

I am doing a simple mod to my site that will show who was born or died on todays date.

I got it working and get a list of people that is added to the topmenu.php file.

My problem is that I also want the names in the list to link to the getperson.php page for more information on that person.

This is the code I have

echo '<a href="getperson.php?personID=' . $row['personID'] . '&tree=' . $row['gedcom'] . '">' . $row['firstname'] . ' ' . $row['lastname'] . '<br>' . $row['birthdatetr'] . '</a></p>';

This will give me: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ' ' (T_STRING), expecting ',' or ';' in your code 

What makes this even more frustrating is that exactly the same line of code works perfectly in Joomla that runs in parallell with my TNG site.

I have also tried different variants. If I run it without the HREF it will show the names, see screen shot.

This line is in a While loop and if I don't do that loop it will show correctly the last line with working link.

Below is the whole thing

$query = "SELECT * FROM `tng_people` WHERE DAYOFMONTH( birthdatetr ) =$daynumber AND MONTH( birthdatetr ) =$monthnumber AND YEAR(`deathdatetr`) != 0000 ORDER BY birthdatetr";
if($result = mysqli_query($connection, $query)){
	if(mysqli_num_rows($result) > 0) {
		while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result)){
		echo "<p>";
		echo '<a href="getperson.php?personID=' . $row['personID'] . '&tree=' . $row['gedcom'] . '">' . $row['firstname'] . ' ' . $row['lastname'] . '<br>' . $row['birthdatetr'] . '</a></p>';
		}
	}
}

I'm not a PHP expert but I can normally get it done, this is above my skills.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 10.41.55.png

Jan Suhr

This was weird. 

When validating the code on a online service I found out that there was something wrong with the dots. Just deleting them and enter a new one solved the problem. Go figure...

Here is the complete code, I did some other changes when I tried to figure it out.

Below code is place in to your_template/topmenu.php
There are also a few lines at the top that connects to the database and specifies that day and month of today.

$daynumber = date("d");
	$monthnumber = date("m");

And for the language in cust_text.php

$text['onThisDay'] = "On this day";
$text['bornOnThisDay'] = "Born";
$text['deadOnThisDay'] = "Deceased";

I will make this a mod later on.

<?php
			echo "<h2>" . $text['onThisDay'] . "</h2>";
			echo "<h3>" . $text['bornOnThisDay'] . "</h3>";
			$connection =new mysqli($database_host, $database_username, $database_password, $database_name) or die("Connect failed to database");
			$query = "SELECT * FROM `tng_people` WHERE DAYOFMONTH( birthdatetr ) =$daynumber AND MONTH( birthdatetr ) =$monthnumber AND YEAR(`deathdatetr`) != 0000 ORDER BY birthdatetr";
			if($result = mysqli_query($connection, $query)){
				if(mysqli_num_rows($result) > 0) {
				while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result)){
					$persId = $row['personID'];
					$treeId = $row['gedcom'];
					$persFirstName = $row['firstname'];
					$persLastName= $row['lastname'];
					$persBirthDate = $row['birthdatetr'];
					echo "<p>";
					echo "<a href=\"getperson.php?personID=" . $persId . "&tree=" . $treeId . "\" class=\"lightlink\">" . $persFirstName . ' ' . $persLastName . '<br>' . $persBirthDate . '</a></p>';
					}
				}
			}
			echo "<hr>";
			echo "<h3>" . $text['deadOnThisDay'] . "</h3>";
			$connection2 =new mysqli($database_host, $database_username, $database_password, $database_name) or die("Connect failed to database");
			$query2 = "SELECT * FROM `tng_people` WHERE DAYOFMONTH( deathdatetr ) =$daynumber AND MONTH( deathdatetr ) =$monthnumber ORDER BY deathdatetr";
			if($result2 = mysqli_query($connection2, $query2)){
				if(mysqli_num_rows($result2) > 0) {
				while($row2 = mysqli_fetch_array($result2)){
					$persId = $row2['personID'];
					$treeId = $row2['gedcom'];
					$persFirstName = $row2['firstname'];
					$persLastName= $row2['lastname'];
					$persDeathDate = $row2['deathdatetr'];
					echo "<p>";
					echo "<a href=\"getperson.php?personID=" . $persId . "&tree=" . $treeId . "\" class=\"lightlink\">" . $persFirstName . ' ' . $persLastName . '<br>' . $persDeathDate . '</a></p>';
					}
				}
			}

You can check it out on my TNG-site, see link below.

manofmull

Jan

Very clever. I couldn't construct a mod if my life depended on it.

Just curious as to why you did this though, when TNG includes Dates & Anniversaries which gives these results

There's also a report that gives births for the current month

SELECT personID, lastname, firstname, birthdate, deathdate, YEAR(NOW())-YEAR(birthdatetr) AS Years, gedcom FROM tng_people WHERE MONTH(birthdatetr)=MONTH(NOW()) AND living=0 ORDER BY lastname, firstname, personID

dates.jpg

Jan Suhr

My reason for doing this was primarily to get it to show up on my Joomla-site. I had that before when I used a Genealogy Joomla component that has this function as a module. This component is not available anymore and I have switched to TNG. I liked this function and was looking for a way to get it back when using TNG.

Since I then had the code I thought I could as easily have it in my TNG site as well. 

It is a bit different that your suggestion since it will always be there automatically and is easier for visitors to see rather than select a menu command, which by the way I have disabled.

manofmull

Jan

Yes, I see from your image which looks good, great job.

I remember the days when mod creators would make them backward-compatible with older versions of TNG (I'm using TNG 11.1.2), but this no longer seems to be the case. I no longer have the time nor the will to upgrade to TNG 12

Jan Suhr

I think that this mod would work with older versions

Jan Suhr

You also see from the screen shot that I also have added a part that shows how many persons I have in the registry and when it was last updated.