TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
kwbush

Where did my Photo media go?

kwbush

I was adding photo media to my now clean site when outa the blue the entire Photo section disappeared.

Has anyone else experienced this tragic and almost fatal blow to using TNG?

How do I get all the photos back, if possible, damn, there where a lotta pictures lost. To say I'm upset is, well, I'll leave it at that.

This time for sure, If anyone can help retrieve my photo section I'm in their debt... so much for computers and their programs... 

manofmull

Keith

When you deleted all of your database names, you took the media links too, BUT the media items should still be in their respective folders. Have a look via ftp or your site CP and see if they are there. If so, you can re-link.

Needless to say, it's always good practice to back up your tables regularly, and your gedcom and media.

I would have thought the pics you uploaded would at least be on your PC

tngrlkrz

Your host provider likely takes daily full site backups.  If you are not comfortable with going to your provider's Control Panel to do it, then have host support restore a recent backup for you to a time before your photos disappeared, if you're OK going back in time with your tree.  But do it soon, because usually there are only so many days before they are replaced by newer backups. 

Better yet have support help you restore to different folders so as not to lose what you have in your tree now, or the specific folder with your photos rather than the entire site.  Otherwise you will overwrite what you have now,...but, your photos should be on a host backup if this was recent.

Just some ideas, ...

kwbush

Thanks gentlemen... just wondering where the media went in the first place. I had ALL my photos and was reassigning them to their people and  "poof"  the entire directory was gone... I still have all the headstones but lost all my document though... what causes such nonsense? And what's to stop it in the future?... Ok, I know, back up the directory... I guess it's my bad and once again I have to pay the price... Ancestry looks better and better EVERY day...

Sorry just venting

kwbush

Gentlemen here is a screen shot of what remains of my photos. I don't know if this might help determine what went wrong so it can be avoided in the future.

Thanks for looking...

Keith

example 1.jpeg