TNG Community

WordPress

Floreen

I very recently started creating a website primarily for genealogy. http://floreenreed.com/

The web host installed the TNG v12 software for me, and I’ve uploaded my GEDCOM file, a few pictures, and some family stories. 

I’d like to be able to create more pages of text etc. than is allowed with the TNG software.

I’m thinking about using WordPress.

I’m just a newbie and am learning as I go.

Would you recommend I back up and start from scratch with WordPress and then add a TNG plugin?

I’m not even using the correct terminology.  In my mind, I’m don’t know if the two work side by side, or should WordPress or TNG work secondary to the other?

I’ve read some of the treads on this community, but most of them are more technical than my beginner mind can understand.

Any help or suggestion would be very welcome.

Hello Floreen.

I also am relatively new at this, but I have learned a few things over the last year. And thanks go to members of this forum and to Darrin himself. I have found most all my solutions to problems and ideas from the very helpful, and patient, users of this very forum.

I do not use Wordpress but I am a recent customer of Genealogy Web Templates, which I see you have also used. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for in the way of "more pages of text", but if you mean additional user pages, I have gotten good enough to be able to add additional user pages and menus. I don't know of any limit to the number of those either. There is a lot to learn on these by reviewing the TNG Wiki for User Pages. 

My site is https://ellisofelkpark.com/. You may use the username/ password combination of guest/guest to see those pages. Or feel free to use the Request a New User Account link for additional user access if you wish. Then if you'd like, I'd be glad to help you further if I can.

Mike

Hello Floreen,

I do use Wordpress in combination with TNG. I don't use the Plugin because it doesn't work.

I use the Kloosterman method.

Website Cloosterman: Link

My website: Link

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

Nice use of the template (207).  I was recently looking at using them.  Curious if the MORE button was part the template or was that added on. Also has you or anyone else found issues with MOD being displayed in these  custom templates?

Thanks, Kevin

Hi Kevin.

Thank you for the comment.

The MORE buttons are a part of the template. I customized mine as far as the labels and the links. It wasn't difficult to do.

I haven't had any issues with any of the MODS I'm using, but I would say that the potential is there. I would follow the guidelines for uninstalling/ reinstalling any Mods if you do change your template of course.

I'm pleased with the Genealogy Web Templates. The cost is quite reasonable and she provides very good customer service during and after installation. Now that I've gained a bit more knowledge and experience with both CSS and PHP, I plan on customizing a bit more.

Be glad to help you further if needed.

Mike