TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Meehan

Remove Robot Activity

Paul Meehan

I am getting inundated with robot activity.... refer attached files. I'm not very computer literate... Can someone explain what is the difference between a "Host name" and a "User Name" So I can block this stuff??

200305 Annotation 2020-03-05 210223.PNG.jpg

200305 Annotation 2020-03-05 210432.jpg

manofmull

A username is one that is chosen by someone registering to access your website or any other platform.

Normally, a username is accompanied by a password to gain access.

A host name eg. (IP address) compute-1.amazonaws.com or (IP address) mobile.spark.co.nz  lets you know where access is coming from. In the two examples, the IP addresses (removed) are  HOSTED by amazon and mobile.spark

Some people are happy with an open website (no login required), but I prefer to have mine closed (login required).

I would also recommend installing https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rip_Prevention_Mod

In admin, this lets you know who's accessing your website. You can block abusive access by using the ban button or your site htaccess file (I use both)

stores

I add my ip address to the "Exclude Host Name" block so my actions do not show up in the most recent actions and i can more easily see the actions other than my own in the tree... I handle Bots through the htaccess file.